Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Interesting Bees: Make beekeeping worthwhile!  (Read 2804 times)

GoombaGeek

• Bay Watcher
  • Horrors! Crundles in the caverns!
    • View Profile
Interesting Bees: Make beekeeping worthwhile!
« on: August 09, 2012, 12:41:57 pm »

Interesting Bees

This mod adds two different species of bees in the hopes of making beekeeping a worthwhile profession. These bees can be weaponized and give much more valuable products than boring old honey bees, and each carry a very fun venom within.

The Code
Add this to any available raw with creatures in it, preferably creature_insects.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

But what do they do?
Well, you could tell from the raws, or experience the Fun for yourself, but here it is:
Spoiler: Doom Bee (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Zombee (click to show/hide)
My wooden badge was delicious.

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
Re: Interesting Bees: Make beekeeping worthwhile!
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2012, 04:58:24 pm »

And how would you weaponize those ? I only see the factor of friendly fire...
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

Wrex

• Bay Watcher
  • My vision is augmented
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2012, 04:59:53 pm »

The onyl weaponization I can see is a torture chamber with beehives in it to induce stings.

Mr Wrex, please do not eat my liver.

IndigoFenix

• Bay Watcher
  • All things die, but nothing dies forever.
    • View Profile
    • Boundworlds: A Browser-Based Multiverse Creation and Exploration Game
« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2012, 05:16:54 pm »

Making bees interesting is not a bad idea, but seeing as how they'll be more dangerous to your beekeepers than your enemies, I'd hardly call it worthwhile... Also transforming non-vermin into vermin can sometimes be a little... 8) buggy.
Here's a thought: Instead of making bees deadlier, make them give BENEFICIAL syndromes through their stings.  Your beekeepers can turn into formidable warriors as a side-effect of the time they spend around bees.  They can become...THE BEEMAN.  Beedwarf.  Now THAT would be worthwhile.

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2012, 05:21:12 pm »

In that case I will mod in ants that life in hives, get collected by the beekeeper, and he turns into Nathan Fillion starring as Antman when bit, and summons a group of giant ants. HA.
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

GoombaGeek

• Bay Watcher
  • Horrors! Crundles in the caverns!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2012, 12:24:35 am »

Huh, I thought bees stung anything that was too close and not a beekeeper (when I closed main access so everyone had to go through the hive hallway, I got tons of stings for dwarves and cats etc.). :-\

I like the idea of superpower-giving bees, though.
My wooden badge was delicious.

peregarrett

• Bay Watcher
  • Гномовержец Enjoyed throwing someone recently
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2012, 01:47:58 am »

+clay hive+
  stimpacks[10345]
Did you know that the Russian word for "sock" is "no sock"?
I just saw a guy with two broken legs push a minecart with a corpse in it. Yeah.

peregarrett

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 24, 2013, 08:04:41 am »

I think necroing this thread is acceptable for this reason.
Inspired by Nordic sagas of Odin and berserkers (especially their immunity to weapons and hangover effect) and also Asterix&Obelix magic potion.
Code: [Select]
[CREATURE:HONEY_BEE]
<snip>
[USE_MATERIAL_TEMPLATE:MEAD:CREATURE_ALCOHOL_TEMPLATE]
[STATE_NAME_ADJ:ALL_SOLID:frozen mead]
[STATE_NAME_ADJ:LIQUID:mead]
[STATE_NAME_ADJ:GAS:boiling mead]
[PREFIX:NONE]
[SYNDROME]
[SYN_NAME:mead effect]
[SYN_INGESTED]
Potion effects for 11200 ticks (which is roughly time to become thristy. Dunno where I found that value)
[CE_MATERIAL_FORCE_MULTIPLIER:MAT_MULT:INORGANIC:NONE:1:5:START:0:END:11200] x5 defence against weapons
[CE_PHYS_ATT_CHANGE:STRENGTH:200:0:AGILITY:200:0:TOUGHNESS:200:0:START:0:END:11200] x2 strength, toughness and agility
[CE_SPEED_CHANGE:SPEED_PERC:150:START:0:END:11200] x1.5 speed
[CE_FLASH_TILE:TILE:24:3:7:1:FREQUENCY:200:100:START:0:END:11200] flashes light blue up arrow
Hangover effects for next 11200 ticks:
[CE_DIZZINESS:SEV:100:PROB:100:START:11200:END:22400] dizziness
[CE_FLASH_TILE:TILE:25:2:7:0:FREQUENCY:400:200:START:11200:END:22400] flashes green down arrow
<snip>
Still unsure about CE_MATERIAL_FORCE_MULTIPLIER:MAT_MULT:INORGANIC:NONE tag - it should work as resistance to anything made of INORGANIC:XXX material, but maybe I should put INORGANIC:IRON, INORGANIC:STEEL etc instead?
I just saw a guy with two broken legs push a minecart with a corpse in it. Yeah.

Urist Da Vinci

• Bay Watcher
  • [NATURAL_SKILL: ENGINEER:4]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 25, 2013, 02:25:28 am »

Still unsure about CE_MATERIAL_FORCE_MULTIPLIER:MAT_MULT:INORGANIC:NONE tag - it should work as resistance to anything made of INORGANIC:XXX material, but maybe I should put INORGANIC:IRON, INORGANIC:STEEL etc instead?

INORGANIC:NONE is magma or the "Rock" used in the arena, so you would only be resistant to impacts from magma minecart railgun/shotgun projectiles. To get the effect that you want, you need to have one line for each weapon material (you can only name one material at a time). Actually, I don't know if resistance to multiple materials is even supported.

This thread also has some bee weaponization fun: http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=105981.msg3335118#msg3335118

IndigoFenix

• Bay Watcher
  • All things die, but nothing dies forever.
    • View Profile
    • Boundworlds: A Browser-Based Multiverse Creation and Exploration Game
« Reply #9 on: October 25, 2013, 03:30:28 am »

INORGANIC:NONE is magma or the "Rock" used in the arena, so you would only be resistant to impacts from magma minecart railgun/shotgun projectiles. To get the effect that you want, you need to have one line for each weapon material (you can only name one material at a time). Actually, I don't know if resistance to multiple materials is even supported.

This thread also has some bee weaponization fun: http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=105981.msg3335118#msg3335118

Actually, NONE:NONE will work on all materials.
[CE_MATERIAL_FORCE_MULTIPLIER:MAT_MULT:NONE:NONE:1:108:START:0] effectively turns standard creature's flesh into iron.  (It can still be bruised but you'll need high-level weapons to cut them.  Also it doesn't seem to have any effect on wrestling moves.)

peregarrett

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 25, 2013, 05:19:25 am »

Actually, NONE:NONE will work on all materials.
[CE_MATERIAL_FORCE_MULTIPLIER:MAT_MULT:NONE:NONE:1:108:START:0] effectively turns standard creature's flesh into iron.  (It can still be bruised but you'll need high-level weapons to cut them.  Also it doesn't seem to have any effect on wrestling moves.)
Yes, NONE:NONE would make him resistant to everything, while I wanted them to be immune to weapons only, but still killable with bare fists (teeth and claws also). Okay, will put separate lines for iron, bronze, steel, copper, bismuth bronze and silver.