Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Crowd funded game  (Read 587 times)

Drunken

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Crowd funded game
« on: December 02, 2012, 06:07:48 pm »

I thought I would try out crowd funding, so here is the result http://www.indiegogo.com/SpaceFight/x/1731033. The website for the game is www.gametheatre.org

The idea behind this is to try and get a bit of a leg up, or a kickstart if you will, in my efforts to develop some of my game ideas. Even if i don't get many donations (it is fixed funding so if I don't get the full amount no one pays anything) I am hoping for a little bit of interest in terms of people playing my game(s) and giving feedback etc. So I would greatly appreciate if everyone who reads this would tell someone about it, post it on your social networking page, maybe download space fight or tabletop and give it a try, sign up on my website and demand the implementation of your most desired features... actually pledging money is a secondary concern but also greatly appreciated.

I think this should be of particular interest to the b12g community as my game design philosophy has a lot of commonality with dwarf fortress, and if I am one day able to make games full time or even with a team, you can expect some titles that will really appeal to this group. There are a lot of developers at the moment trying to cash in on the DF wave by adding digging and dwarves to various stale game concepts and thinking that digging and dwarves (and prettier graphics) makes it a real competitor in the DFlike genre. Those of us who are true fans understand that there is a lot more to it that that. The idea of massive procedural worlds is one that needs more attention from developers. Another aspect of DF is the unique brand of hardcore (permadeath) which allows your previous games to merge into the history and the world. There is also the wonder that is ai controlled minions which the player gives rough orders to but which act independently according to a complex set of rules and personality traits. Open ended sandbox gameplay is also nice but that is at least something that is starting to emerge in other games.

Basically I started making games because I want to play them and the mainstream games industry are totally useless and can't be relied on to produce the games I want. I know the actual game I set up the project for does not really cover any of the mechanics i mention above (although it will soon have the independent AI and it will be programmable) but I chose a more generic project to start off with. If you are interested even just posting in my forums so that they look like less of a ghost town would be much appreciated.

Thank you for your kind attention.

A stopped clock is right for exactly two infinitessimal moments every day.
A working clock on the other hand is almost never ever exactly right.