Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Getting back into getting back into pixel art.  (Read 3026 times)

Omegastick

• Bay Watcher
  • Crazy musician man
    • View Profile
Re: Getting back into getting back into pixel art.
« Reply #15 on: October 07, 2012, 05:52:11 pm »

Wow, that's really cool. I've tested everything on my computer and there are no problems. I do have to completely unzip it though, I can't just run it from the temporary folder that WinRar creates because it just flashes a black window and doesn't run.
I make music under the name Flag Red, check me out:
Soundcloud
Youtube
Facebook

_DivideByZero_

• Bay Watcher
  • Not to be confused with infinity
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 07, 2012, 05:58:24 pm »

That's because there are external files (the prefs.ini and the resources) that the game needs to access. When you double-click a single file in, say, winrar, it doesn't actually run the file directly, it first extracts it to a temporary folder then runes it, because in its compressed form the code can't be executed.

The problem is that the resources and other things don't get auto-extracted when you just doubleclick the jar.
Have I now become your enemy by telling you the truth? (Gal 4:16)

_DivideByZero_

• Bay Watcher
  • Not to be confused with infinity
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 30, 2012, 03:53:26 pm »

Okay, so here's another question: retro (intentionally pixellate everything) or normal graphics? I've been wondering if the game will look better in the long run if I set the default zoom to 2 (everything is twice as big) since I use detailed pixel art. My worry is that normally details will get lost to interpolation and such, whereas a closer zoom makes it easier to see the pixel art the way it looks best.

However, this results in decreased view distance, and I'll have to make the ships smaller to compensate, because right now they are huge on the screen.

Also, the explosions look really pixellated in screenshots:
Have I now become your enemy by telling you the truth? (Gal 4:16)
Pages: 1 [2]