Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Xenonauts 2  (Read 1450 times)

veantur

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Xenonauts 2
« on: April 18, 2022, 01:56:42 pm »

Hey guys for thoose whon never heared from Xenonauts 2 its  a spritual successor of X-COM: UFO Defense and X-COM: Terror from the Deep.

Its still in EA but allready playble. I wanted to show the gameplay from the latest Build (23)

Xenonauts 2 Build 23 First Mission

Have fun
:)

« Last Edit: April 18, 2022, 01:59:31 pm by veantur »

se5a

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Xenonauts 2
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2022, 09:31:34 pm »

Enjoyed the Xenonauts, though never quite finished it.
give us your rundown about whats good, different, bad, etc.  about this one vs the original?

Salmeuk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2022, 10:06:31 pm »

honestly looks like a project of love, but imo goes too far towards milsim / realism in terms of tone. I haven't played it but it really did away with the inherent mystery in the original's graphical presentation. or something... xpiratez is imo the the game with the most modern take on the original's formula.

thanks for posting actual gameplay, though,  and not the usual youtube trash

Radsoc

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2022, 11:43:17 pm »

Xenonauts is a very good game, I prefer it over (modern) Xcom because of its relative complexity.
"The hand-mill gives you society with the feudal lord; the steam-mill society with the industrial capitalist."

"To punish the oppressors of humanity is clemency; to forgive them is cruelty. The severity of tyrants has barbarity for its principle; that of a republican government is founded on beneficence."

askovdk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2022, 02:11:07 am »

My favorite Xenonauts quote is from the Alien Sniper
"While having a inch-wide tunnel burned straight through your body is hardly conducive to good health, it is also unlikely to be fatal unless it strikes one of the vital organs."
My HMoM forts :
 Kindletours - A flying silver city.
 Boardstrap - Thermal borehole HoMM5 style.

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
  • And lo, the Dude did abide. And it was good.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2022, 03:10:51 am »

Loved Xenonauts. But from the few news and videos I've seen so far, I'm kinda not sure what X2 will have to offer that is not just reheated X1.

( Tchey )

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://jeux1d100.net/
« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2022, 06:16:49 am »

I loved Xenonauts too.

For me, openXCom + XFiles mod > Xenonauts + Division mod >>> UFO AI (sadly dead project i guess) > X@COM (from Cogmind dev) >>>>>> Firaxis XCom

An unknown really great tactical game with Time Units, not xcom related, is Enemy (the name of the game is very bad for finding it...).

If Xenonauts 2 is only "Xenonauts+" i’ll take it anyway.

se5a

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 19, 2022, 07:10:16 pm »

UFO AI was brilliant, yeah it's a shame it's withered away.

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 19, 2022, 09:43:08 pm »

Xenonauts was very good, i liked a lot the visuals too.
The air combat was a nice little real time tactical minigame.

What i liked a lot less was the AI in the unmodded (and even with the XCE powered version) of the game, the AI that was more busy staying out of your soldier LOS and avoiding attacking your troops than in any other xcom-like games, without mentionning those aliens that insisted in never coming out of their crashed ufos.
That made the battle a lot less fun than they should have been, as it made some interesting (in term of battle possibility) locations never used because the AI would never go there.

Fortunately mods took care of that problem. I hope Xenonauts 2 will improve the AI "will to fight".

Mkok

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 20, 2022, 11:00:24 am »

I liked Xonanuts, but it has multiple issues. I wonder how many of these will be resolved in Xenonauts 2, but my hopes so far aint very high.

1. For one, the story was just plain terrible, as in basically non-existing. You start a campaign, and first thing you know you are to build a base.  Unless you read what the game is about beforehand you wont even know you are to defend earth from aliens. There is no cutscene or anything to get you fired up, or establish the mood. For comparison UFO: AI did this very well with their short intro. And even after that the story is basically non-existent. One day an alien just pops up at your door surrendering. Ok, cool. So I will be able to interogate him and learn stuff right?... nope, turns out you can interogate him, but you are just a lowly soldier, no need to burden you with knowing anything, all you need to know is to point guns in alien direction, so the interogation result is not revealed to you... Plus the research texts (at least the ones in X-division) look like they were written by an edgy teenager...

2. Next is the weapon arsenal, there are what, like 5 different weapons and thats basically it for the whole game. Sure, you can upgrade to laser or plasma, but other than bigger numbers these mean nothing. For that I love UFO: AI, there each weapon has a role, feels unique, and they are all viable (except for the starting guns), and there is no such thing as a "laser shotgun"  ::)

3. Another issue is with the air combat, where losing aircraft is basically free, so you can simply spam hangars with cheap planes, and shoot each UFO the moment it appears even without really investing into air techs, which is a fundamental issue with the game design.

If xenonauts 2 were to improve on these while keeping the good parts of xenonauts 1 I would say it could be very good, but from what I have seen about the development so far it seems to me the devs are simply too unskilled to really know what they should be focusing on and are kind of doing random stuff that is even harmful to the game just to "justify" calling it a sequel...
« Last Edit: April 20, 2022, 11:02:17 am by Mkok »

Chiefwaffles

• Bay Watcher
  • I've been told that waffles are no longer funny.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 20, 2022, 02:38:29 pm »

Xenonaut's story works. It's told through the research reports which are easily the best written and most personable of any XCom-type game. Hands down. And... X-Division is a mod? Why would you complain about an entire game based off of things a total overhaul mod for that game adds?

As for a sequel, the best thing that sequels can do is either simply iterate the existing formula or try something new based around the same principles. I'm glad Xenonauts 2 is going down the latter route. There's always Xenonauts 1 for people who prefer Xenonauts 1.
Quote from: RAM
You should really look to the wilderness for your stealth ideas, it has been doing it much longer than you have after all. Take squids for example, that ink trick works pretty well, and in water too! So you just sneak into the dam upsteam, dump several megatons of distressed squid into it, then break the dam. Boom, you suddenly have enough water-proof stealth for a whole city!

Mkok

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 21, 2022, 04:06:22 am »

Story works cause the only story this type of game needs is "aliens invade, shoot them". But as games like UFO: AI or aftertrilogy showed a good story can push the game from good to great. yes, it is a mod, but from what I remember from the base game it is basically the same there as well. It is still better then XCOM, but XCOM story was just so so bad...