Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16]

Author Topic: X4 Foundations - Revenge of the EGO: Vendetta of the Split  (Read 41157 times)

xaritscin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: X4 Foundations - Revenge of the EGO: Vendetta of the Split
« Reply #225 on: May 05, 2021, 10:56:20 pm »

just wanted to comment that X3: Farnham's Legacy is out...

Duuvian

• Bay Watcher
  • Internet ≠ Real Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #226 on: May 05, 2021, 11:10:20 pm »

Hey, that's pretty cool they did an update for X3. If I didn't have X4 Foundations I would check that out for sure.

Here: Foundation screenshots
Spoiler: First big ship (click to show/hide)

I like Split combat ships because they are fast. I used a Split heavy fighter I think it was in X3. In Foundations I mostly used the starter Elite in Foundation until I had enough for a Dragon. I stopped playing because I was irritated by the autopilot stopping way short of it's destination and crawling in at not even full normal speed sometimes from 30km out. Other than that I had fun though, good game except for that and a few other small issues like the laser towers/turrets or whatnot being difficult or impossible to order not to fire on factions who are unfriendly but not hostile (such as merchant vessels) making them hard to use before making friends with everyone if you want to say put them in front of the gate to Xenon Hell 69.

I liked the trading the most, I can't find binds that weren't a bit clunky because of the follow the mouse steering system + mouse gimbal aiming. I got it close to the Planetside 2 flying controls and I can go around stations ok in a fighter, but the gimbal sights throw me off a lot when I'm aiming and flying since you turn slower the closer to center the mouse gimbal sights are.

If my screenshot comments are anything to go by, I wasn't terribly impressed by the Elite but appreciated it's one missile launcher. My memiory of the dragon was that the Neutron Gatlings (I think was the name) I initially blew my creditsss on were absolute garbage. I replaced them with something else (cheaper) and said meh I guess this will work.
« Last Edit: May 05, 2021, 11:31:58 pm by Duuvian »
FINISHED original composition:
https://app.box.com/s/jq526ppvri67astrc23bwvgrkxaicedj

Sort of finished and awaiting remix due to loss of most recent song file before addition of drums:
https://www.box.com/s/s3oba05kh8mfi3sorjm0 <-zguit

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #227 on: May 07, 2021, 12:05:07 pm »

Can confirm the new X3 update is pretty cool. New features, new area, new story.

New story gives you an HQ and the Hub as part of it, so no more spending unholy amounts of time each time you want to start a new game getting that same stuff.
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

AlStar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #228 on: April 22, 2022, 07:36:06 am »

Performing a minor thread resurrection here:

Humble Bundle has an X Universe Collection (https://www.humblebundle.com/games/x-universe-collection)

$1 gets you X and X2; $18 gets you X3 and X4 as well.

I've never actually played any of the X games - so I figured I'd ask y'all which you'd recommend?

Do the old games hold up? Are the newer games worth putting down some extra cash?

Persus13

• Bay Watcher
  • 6th King of the Mafia
    • View Profile
« Reply #229 on: April 22, 2022, 08:06:02 am »

Performing a minor thread resurrection here:

Humble Bundle has an X Universe Collection (https://www.humblebundle.com/games/x-universe-collection)

$1 gets you X and X2; $18 gets you X3 and X4 as well.

I've never actually played any of the X games - so I figured I'd ask y'all which you'd recommend?

Do the old games hold up? Are the newer games worth putting down some extra cash?
I'd be interested in the answer to this as well.
Congratulations Persus, now you are forced to have the same personal text for an entire year!
Longbowmen horsearcher doomstacks that suffer no attrition and can navigate all major rivers without ships.
Sigtext

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #230 on: April 22, 2022, 12:09:15 pm »

X3 holds up as an old sandbox space sim game. but I've got nostalgia backing that claim.

X4 I have not played. I might now though, thanks for the tip
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."

Knave

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #231 on: April 22, 2022, 12:25:39 pm »

Generally (I believe) X3 is considered the most in-depth version, but the UI is rough at this point.
X4 is more streamlined, easier to get into and prettier, but many are still not 100% happy with it's current shape compared to 3. They're continuing to update it quite frequently (just released version 5) and the gap is closing. I think it's most common criticism is the AI struggles to do some of the more advanced activities. I haven't tried the DLC though.

I don't know much reason you'd want to play X1/2 at this point except for completion's/nostalgia's sake.

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #232 on: April 22, 2022, 12:30:31 pm »

I just did the humble bundle, since the normal price of X4 with all these xpacs would be 80 fukkin dollas and had my eye on the game already.

Does not have the most recent expac attached, Tides of Avarice.
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16]