Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 178 179 [180] 181 182 ... 216

Author Topic: Europa Universalis IV  (Read 448033 times)

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
Re: Europa Universalis IV
« Reply #2685 on: July 03, 2016, 04:38:21 am »

Yeah, but then, most cities are build with or close to a water source, because water is nice.

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #2686 on: July 03, 2016, 04:53:32 am »

I don't think it'd be very fun to get a "someone left the back gate open" event and suddenly you've been annexed.
Tell that to the guy who added hunting accidents
Please don't shitpost, it lowers the quality of discourse
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
  • Σὺν Ἀθηνᾷ καὶ χεῖρα κίνει
    • View Profile
« Reply #2687 on: July 03, 2016, 06:09:52 am »

Yeah, but then, most cities are build with or close to a water source, because water is nice.

what I meant was if you could poison a water source or deviate it, of course old cityes grew close to river, water logistic is a massive issue

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2688 on: July 03, 2016, 06:50:16 pm »

Been playing as Kongo, got myself up to 15 soldiers. Got my first idea (exploration), Portugal sends missionaries, I accept.

Then Portugal rivals me. What the fuck. I'm pretty much dead now. I never even got the option to convert.

Rex_Nex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2689 on: July 03, 2016, 08:42:20 pm »

On the bright side, if a 15-troop Kongo is a viable rival for Portugal, Portugal is probably not doing too well!

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
« Reply #2690 on: July 03, 2016, 08:47:17 pm »

Been playing as Kongo, got myself up to 15 soldiers. Got my first idea (exploration), Portugal sends missionaries, I accept.

Then Portugal rivals me. What the fuck. I'm pretty much dead now. I never even got the option to convert.
You should ask to be their protectorate as fast as you can. This protects you not only from Portugal itself, but also other europeans (and you get faster tech).
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

Azkanan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2691 on: July 04, 2016, 04:41:52 pm »

Still waiting for some good game screenshots. I check in here relatively often for them. Skyrim and CK2, too. [/hint]
A pool of Dwarven Ale.
WHO IS RESPONSIBLE FOR THIS ?

ancistrus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2692 on: July 04, 2016, 10:08:42 pm »

OK I just bought it and played it and I dont feel like registering to some new forum so I am going to went here.

What the hell AI?
Arent you supposed to be creating coalitions to keep warmongers in check?
So France starts conquering everything, and every other major power just goes, hey, if you cant beat them join them.
1730 AD. France is allied with Portugal, Scandinavia, Poland (and few others). These nations rank as 1, 2, 3 and 4 in terms of army size. The first three have been allied for 200+ years, seriously.
In isolation, I might be able to beat one of them, but together they are quite clearly stronger than the rest of the world put together.

I am playing as Navarra, and I am currently the last nation on Earth that is able to resist those jackasses, at least briefly. I have no potential allies at all, everyone else has been curbstomped already.

The second source of frustration is naval battles. I still retain the biggest navy in the world, but it doesnt do me any good. I cant compete with AIs ability to micromanage. I am getting flashbacks to age of empires 2, with the enemy doing hit and run with 30 horse archers individually. Only this is even worse. Just managing to get into a naval battle is a cause for celebration, the AI constantly teases and retreats their ships. However, what is even worse still is the fact that even if I wreck the enemy fleet, they NEVER LOSE TRANSPORTS. So they can happily move their doomstacks to my country and there is nothing I can do about it. What the *%#&.

WealthyRadish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2693 on: July 04, 2016, 10:48:24 pm »

I've wanted to increase the time that navies are forced to commit to battles before retreating for a while, but sadly the relevant define also determines land battle retreat time.

Are you playing with lucky nation bonuses on? I think the AI considers its AE reduction (like from the lucky nation bonus) when making a peace deal, so lucky nations will take more land in peace deals  and blob harder than they would otherwise. The AI's "smart" enough to almost never get coalitioned either way, but I think that AE reduction is part of what feeds the ridiculous blobs (like France eating Spain, Austria cannibalizing the HRE, Poland's frequent rampages, etc).

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #2694 on: July 05, 2016, 02:22:49 am »

AE reduction for the AI is basically Hitler, yeah.

I did see Lithuania fighting a coalition once, against Crimea and a couple of other irrelevant eastern shitcountries. Lithuania annexed half of them in the peace deal.
Please don't shitpost, it lowers the quality of discourse
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2695 on: July 05, 2016, 03:20:40 am »

OK I just bought it and played it and I dont feel like registering to some new forum so I am going to went here.

What the hell AI?
Arent you supposed to be creating coalitions to keep warmongers in check?
So France starts conquering everything, and every other major power just goes, hey, if you cant beat them join them.
1730 AD. France is allied with Portugal, Scandinavia, Poland (and few others). These nations rank as 1, 2, 3 and 4 in terms of army size. The first three have been allied for 200+ years, seriously.
In isolation, I might be able to beat one of them, but together they are quite clearly stronger than the rest of the world put together.

I am playing as Navarra, and I am currently the last nation on Earth that is able to resist those jackasses, at least briefly. I have no potential allies at all, everyone else has been curbstomped already.

The second source of frustration is naval battles. I still retain the biggest navy in the world, but it doesnt do me any good. I cant compete with AIs ability to micromanage. I am getting flashbacks to age of empires 2, with the enemy doing hit and run with 30 horse archers individually. Only this is even worse. Just managing to get into a naval battle is a cause for celebration, the AI constantly teases and retreats their ships. However, what is even worse still is the fact that even if I wreck the enemy fleet, they NEVER LOSE TRANSPORTS. So they can happily move their doomstacks to my country and there is nothing I can do about it. What the *%#&.

Mind sharing a picture of these warmongers? I don't really see these nations going out of control in my games. It's hard to imagine how big they are if you think they need a coalition against them in the 1700's.

Coalitions are formed based on aggressive expansion which you get by...well...expanding. It goes down over time (I think diplomatic reputation speeds this up) so if you want to start a coalition against an AI, you will probably need to drag them into a war on your side after they have recently accrued a bunch of aggressive expansion and then finish it quickly and give them a ton of land in a peace deal. Then break alliance with them and join the coalition :)

ZeroGravitas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2696 on: July 05, 2016, 09:17:06 am »

Mind sharing a picture of these warmongers? I don't really see these nations going out of control in my games. It's hard to imagine how big they are if you think they need a coalition against them in the 1700's.

Coalitions are formed based on aggressive expansion which you get by...well...expanding. It goes down over time (I think diplomatic reputation speeds this up) so if you want to start a coalition against an AI, you will probably need to drag them into a war on your side after they have recently accrued a bunch of aggressive expansion and then finish it quickly and give them a ton of land in a peace deal. Then break alliance with them and join the coalition :)

The AI has AE reduction. It's reduced even further for Lucky nations.

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2697 on: July 05, 2016, 11:10:15 am »

The AI has AE reduction. It's reduced even further for Lucky nations.

Yes, that was just said, but why are you responding to my post with it?

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #2698 on: July 06, 2016, 08:22:37 pm »

RE: Coalitions, it appears to be that you can conquer all of the Americas, Europa, Africa, Asia and Australia - but god forbid you take two counties in Italy, instant coalition with the entire world vs you. MILAN MUST BE PROTECTED, THEY ARE A BEACON OF INNOCENCE IN TIMES OF TURMOIL

I also lol'd quite heartily when Portugal allied with Castille to finish the reconquistida and Portugal took over most of Morocco. Whilst this went on England actually won the hundred years war, taking over half of France. This all changed France had some god tier monarch who screwed over everyone to climb back on top. Allied with Spanish to kick the English out of France, driving a wedge between Portugal and Spain by giving away half of Portugal to Spain. At this point Portugal is close to being evicted to Africa, when France breaks their alliance with Spain to ally with the desperate Portugal - declaring war on Spain to kick the Spanish out of France, and introduce the French to Spain, all the whilst Portugal regained most of their land. In the end, only France won that, now stronger than England, Spain and Portugal combined, where before they were about to be wiped out by Burgundy

No coalitions

I for one am glad I'm in the Eastern Med

WealthyRadish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2699 on: July 06, 2016, 08:53:50 pm »

The AI has AE reduction.

Is there a source from a dev or something on this? I don't think they do, there isn't anything in the static modifiers or defines.
Pages: 1 ... 178 179 [180] 181 182 ... 216