Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 180 181 [182] 183 184 ... 216

Author Topic: Europa Universalis IV  (Read 445165 times)

ZeroGravitas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Europa Universalis IV
« Reply #2715 on: July 11, 2016, 03:29:40 pm »

I did some looking into to it, the AI gets free upkeep on forts bordering another nation. Which is pretty strong.

Oh, it's not just bordering another nation. It's also when bordering wasteland and oceans. Or it was 4 months ago, anyway.

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
  • I vibrate, I die, I vibrate again
    • View Profile
« Reply #2716 on: July 12, 2016, 01:35:43 am »

So like... the majority of the game's provinces, except those held by huge nations that are going to attacking more than defending.
"T-take this non-euclidean geometry, h-humanity-baka. I m-made it, but not because I l-li-l-like you or anything! I just felt s-sorry for you, b-baka."
You misspelled seance.  Are possessing Draignean?  Are you actually a ghost in the shell? You have to tell us if you are, that's the rule

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #2717 on: July 12, 2016, 01:39:21 am »

Basically
Please don't shitpost, it lowers the quality of discourse
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #2718 on: July 12, 2016, 11:12:53 am »

That's not true, large Empires like Ethiopia, Russia and China which benefit greatly from fighting defensive wars in order to destroy superior enemies through attrition will barely benefit at all
It's even worse

ZeroGravitas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2719 on: July 12, 2016, 04:40:05 pm »

attrition, lol

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2720 on: July 12, 2016, 04:43:19 pm »

How exactly do you make use of attrition? Do you just sit back and let the enemy capture everything, then attack? I doubt it.

I also don't see you being able to recapture your provinces without going head to head with the enemy armies.

Digital Hellhound

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2721 on: July 12, 2016, 04:53:02 pm »

How exactly do you make use of attrition? Do you just sit back and let the enemy capture everything, then attack? I doubt it.

I also don't see you being able to recapture your provinces without going head to head with the enemy armies.

You scorch earth like a wannabe pyromaniac and watch those enemy armies dwindle. Then you can attack. I've never been able to really use scorched earth successfully, though. It just never reduced their numbers enough, plus they tended to home in on my surviving forces and wipe 'em out.
Russia is simply taking an anti-Fascist stance against European Nazi products, they should be applauded. ¡No parmesan!

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #2722 on: July 12, 2016, 05:36:21 pm »

Attrition as it is now is quite worthless, the French army will laugh at Russian winter and Afghan summer in EU4 with impunity, especially if they took attrition reducing ideas. Scorched earth makes taking Forts really, really difficult, but all you're doing is buying time to do other crap. Manpower reductions on AI are pointless too, so it's better to just invest in a more powerful and large army to outlast the enemy

You scorch earth like a wannabe pyromaniac and watch those enemy armies dwindle. Then you can attack. I've never been able to really use scorched earth successfully, though. It just never reduced their numbers enough, plus they tended to home in on my surviving forces and wipe 'em out.
Yeah defensive warfare cannot succeed in EU4
In EU4, Russia loses to France, Malta to Ottomans and Byzantium inflicted casualties are minimal
« Last Edit: July 13, 2016, 11:20:07 am by Loud Whispers »

WealthyRadish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2723 on: July 12, 2016, 10:22:15 pm »

I also think the max attrition cap is too low. You can change it in the static modifiers (under land_province), and there are few other changes that I think help, like adding max attrition to the winter modifiers (and scorched earth, but I think there are better ways of handling scorched earth).

Still, winning wars through attrition is something that can only benefit the player, since it's easy to game the AI into stupidly wasting troops on attrition (and you can't really blame paradox for this one, I don't think it's actually possible to write an AI good enough to manage something like attrition alongside all the other decisionmaking without running it on a super computer).

In my opinion it would be better to let the player use attrition to their advantage, but it should be something that requires either unusual circumstances or preparation on their part. If you build special buildings that raise the attrition cap in a key province, scorch it, and maybe take a policy (I refuse to accept "pick an idea group and dump points in it" as preparation), then I think you've done enough to earn the advantage, but it shouldn't be like before where you could scorch pretty much any province in the world and win a war off of that alone. I actually have an unreleased mod that does this, and it seems to work well (except for the small issue that raising local max attrition also does so for friendly units).

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #2724 on: July 12, 2016, 10:25:43 pm »

Yeah the problem rolls back to AI, which is IMO where development should be focussed.
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2725 on: July 13, 2016, 11:08:44 am »

Can't you do something really simple with the AI, like (If manpower loss from attrition >= X% of manpower +other factors, then do not siege)?

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
  • I vibrate, I die, I vibrate again
    • View Profile
« Reply #2726 on: July 13, 2016, 02:38:54 pm »

If its not going to siege, what is it going to do?  Forever war?
"T-take this non-euclidean geometry, h-humanity-baka. I m-made it, but not because I l-li-l-like you or anything! I just felt s-sorry for you, b-baka."
You misspelled seance.  Are possessing Draignean?  Are you actually a ghost in the shell? You have to tell us if you are, that's the rule

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2727 on: July 13, 2016, 05:10:36 pm »

Well yes, if the only thing to siege are forts that need so many men that it will cause more attrition than your manpower can afford, then you probably shouldn't siege it.

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #2728 on: July 13, 2016, 05:16:15 pm »

Attrition should be a factor when the AI decides what to siege, but I have no idea how that works in EU so ???

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #2729 on: July 13, 2016, 05:21:47 pm »

If its not going to siege, what is it going to do?  Forever war?
I think it would keep checking until it had recovered enough manpower to actually complete the siege..?
Pages: 1 ... 180 181 [182] 183 184 ... 216