Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 182 183 [184] 185 186 ... 216

Author Topic: Europa Universalis IV  (Read 446973 times)

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Europa Universalis IV
« Reply #2745 on: August 13, 2016, 12:03:20 am »

I felt like downloading a mod to make the game completely random, but it seems that that mod is now gone. Am I out of luck or does someone know something I don't about the ability to generate a completely random world?

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #2746 on: August 13, 2016, 12:21:26 am »

Please don't shitpost, it lowers the quality of discourse
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2747 on: August 13, 2016, 12:43:23 am »

Comments say both are dead.

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #2748 on: August 13, 2016, 12:49:49 am »

Well rip I guess
Please don't shitpost, it lowers the quality of discourse
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

ollobrains

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2749 on: September 06, 2016, 06:36:46 pm »

theres a new DLC coming on october 11, its reworking the entire tech system to be more along the lines of CK2

WealthyRadish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2750 on: September 06, 2016, 07:00:36 pm »

That's pretty exciting. It always bothered me that tech in CKII was better simulated and designed (in a game where it's a very minor mechanic), while in EU4 the tech system is what I'd expect out of an alpha placeholder (in a game where it's possibly the single most important mechanic).

ollobrains

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2751 on: September 07, 2016, 05:45:25 pm »

yeah some of the recent DLCs sort of muddied the tech stuff a bit more, but never addressed it, but now eastern and other nations may now again have to try and expand west wards to get the benefits or government spread which can then be adopted by other nations. 

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
  • I vibrate, I die, I vibrate again
    • View Profile
« Reply #2752 on: September 08, 2016, 01:48:31 am »

I've always thought the best realistic tech system would be that you can pay money into research to have the best stuff but if you don't do research eventually everything will trickle to you (although you'll never have the cutting edge).  Think that would be pretty close to how it works in RL, provided you model communication barriers like isolationism and impassable oceans.
"T-take this non-euclidean geometry, h-humanity-baka. I m-made it, but not because I l-li-l-like you or anything! I just felt s-sorry for you, b-baka."
You misspelled seance.  Are possessing Draignean?  Are you actually a ghost in the shell? You have to tell us if you are, that's the rule

WealthyRadish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2753 on: September 08, 2016, 09:38:06 am »

That's similar to how it worked in EU3. Monthly income could be invested into either the 5 techs, stability, or minted (giving tons of inflation).

Skimming the stream, the tech changes aren't as exciting as I thought. Better than what was before, but all they seem to be adding is a new way to model the tech penalty, the tech itself will probably still be garbage. The institutions themselves also look poorly done. An absurd linear sequence with weak modifiers and a strong tech penalty, where some OPM in east asia finds themselves having newfound difficulty building guns because the Euros have started sculpting nudes again.

I think it has potential though, it may even be enough to finally get rid of the monarch points system entirely in a mod. Move some of the vanilla tech modifiers to institutions and remove the vanilla techs entirely, increase it to 20-30 institutions, write some better scripting to model the spreading, add complimentary decisions and unique buildings to enhance the bonuses, and you've got a good organic tech system. But there still might be that issue of the modifiers given by tech being very unmoddable, particularly mil tech; all the shock/fire increases, tactics, supply, width, etc can't be used anywhere but in the vanilla techs.

Some of the other features look very odd. A militarization bar for Prussia only, really?
« Last Edit: September 08, 2016, 09:51:27 am by UrbanGiraffe »

ZeroGravitas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2754 on: September 08, 2016, 09:45:05 am »

theres a new DLC coming on october 11, its reworking the entire tech system to be more along the lines of CK2

no, it's really not. Techs themselves are not changing much at all - you still buy them with monarch points, tech is still mandatory to keep competitive troops and boats and colonization range, etc.

What's changing is the tech group system. And it's not really changing to be anything like ck2. Tech groups are gone; instead there are "Institutions" which spread based primarily on how close you are to Europe (colonization and manufacturing can start elsewhere, but everything else is pretty much hard-tied to Europe and/or Protestantism). If you don't keep up in Institutions, your tech becomes more and more expensive. You have to spend money to "embrace" institutions once they're sufficiently spread through your territory.

So it's not really anything like CK2. Institutions aren't tech; tech isn't optional; and you have to spend money to get institutions.
« Last Edit: September 08, 2016, 09:49:40 am by ZeroGravitas »

ZeroGravitas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2755 on: September 08, 2016, 09:49:07 am »

I've always thought the best realistic tech system would be that you can pay money into research to have the best stuff but if you don't do research eventually everything will trickle to you (although you'll never have the cutting edge).  Think that would be pretty close to how it works in RL, provided you model communication barriers like isolationism and impassable oceans.

It's the age-old problem of "tech" systems that treat cultural "development" and physical inventions as fundamentally equivalent. Which is itself probably a symptom of Whig history, I guess. There is no such thing as "well we invented constitutional democracy so let's just click that button and never worry about how government organization again." Idiocy.

Rex_Nex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2756 on: September 11, 2016, 06:40:36 pm »

Back in January, I posted one of my runs - an Air game where I tried to conquer Africa. I wanted to try this again and see how much better I could do given the same amount of time (1729). This time I started as Songhai instead of Air.

Old Air campaign:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

New Songhai campaign:

Its not exactly the same run (Different nation, different version, many more provinces in south Africa but territories exist), but its close enough for me to be happy about it. Getting better!
« Last Edit: September 11, 2016, 06:54:47 pm by Rex_Nex »

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #2757 on: September 20, 2016, 04:19:40 pm »

INFORM THE GRANDMASTER

SELL THE CHICKENS

WRITE A POLITE LETTER TO THE POPE

THE INFIDELS HAVE TAKEN JERUSALEM

BURN EVERYTHING

WealthyRadish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2758 on: September 20, 2016, 04:39:37 pm »

I've been thinking about the possibility of scripting a new tech system using the upcoming institutions feature, and have been mulling over a possible "tech tree" for the period. Obviously without seeing the gritty details of system, it's difficult to tell what exactly how far it can be taken, but I'm curious how this initial list of "techs" sounds to people who are dissatisfied with tech in EU4:

Code: [Select]
Basic techs (most likely won't be able to emerge independently, but maybe an allowance will be made for players in americas/sub-saharan africa)
- Ironworking
- Written Language
- Domesticated animals (only conspicuous by its absence in americas, could be replaced)

Mathematical techs (can only initially emerge from or spread to provinces with universities, prerequisites for many other practical techs)
- Numeral system
- Geometry/trig? (maybe redundant)
- Algebra
- Calculus

Trade techs
- Metal currency
- Guilds?
- Banking/credit
- Finance

Production techs
- Mixed agriculture (trade access to both old and new world crops)
- Guilds?
- Mechanical weaving
- Decent Steel
- Coke/industry?

Naval techs
- Shipbuilding
- Multi-mast sailing
- Navigation

Weapon techs (could be billions of things here, but I want to keep it simple and handle more specific modifiers elsewhere)
- Cavalry
- Gunpowder
- Firearms
- Artillery

Administration/government (loads could go here, not sure on order)
- Law codification
- Taxation
- Primogeniture (includes local level [extra administrators/officers from younger landed sons, etc], not just national succession)
- Bureaucracy
- Census
- Courts/appeals
- Parliament (not necessarily democratic)
- Religious tolerance?

Army techs
- Hierarchical command
- Professional officers
- Professional soldiers
- Standing army (redundant?)
- National conscription (late game, super OP)

Cultural techs
- Organized religion?
- Artistic patronage, architecture
- Literature
- Nationalism (late game, starts fucking everything up but also militarily powerful)

This is already 30-40 (god only knows how the performance will be), but I think this would be fairly comprehensive of the period for actually simulating the differences between the americas, china, the muslim world, western europe, etc. They'd mostly spread through trade and proximity, with the player probably being able to choose a "focus" through decisions for their ruler to make progress faster, and build/fund universities and other buildings that more quickly adopt and originate techs.

This should be the last piece of removing monarch points from the game altogether. Ideas will be a bit of a pickle, but right now I'm thinking that they'll be free, only provide a single bonus, and have a static 5-10 available at a given time throughout the game.
« Last Edit: September 20, 2016, 07:41:13 pm by UrbanGiraffe »

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2759 on: September 20, 2016, 07:37:13 pm »

So I'm finding myself trying Ming for the first time and am realizing that I need to address this issue I've always had with eastern countries. How do you westernize? All the western provinces seem to become trade companies and it seems silly to colonize west/east in search of them.
Pages: 1 ... 182 183 [184] 185 186 ... 216