Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 186 187 [188] 189 190 ... 216

Author Topic: Europa Universalis IV  (Read 447931 times)

Lapoleon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Europa Universalis IV
« Reply #2805 on: October 30, 2016, 12:12:05 pm »

Since you're asking about DLC. Paradox is currently having one of their sales with most old DLC at 75% discount, so now's the chance. Even Mare Nostrum is 67% off or so now's the time to strike.

MrRoboto75

• Bay Watcher
  • Belongs in the Trash!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2806 on: October 30, 2016, 01:35:39 pm »

Development to get institutions early really doesn't seem worth
I consume
I purchase
I consume again

Cthulufaic

• Bay Watcher
  • whats a touhou
    • View Profile
« Reply #2807 on: October 30, 2016, 02:16:52 pm »

It's not really, but at a certain point its becomes cheaper to develop a province the needed amount than to purchase tech at the increased amount.

Rex_Nex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2808 on: October 30, 2016, 03:01:41 pm »

Not developing means you'll absolutely fall far behind Europe, but it also means you aren't giving free institutions to your neighbors. It depends on your long term goals - if you're in, say, India and don't plan on leaving India, you don't need to bother. If you ever want to compete with Europe or the nations near it, you're almost forced into developing for the majority if your institutions. It's way too inefficient to let the tech penalty stack up for the hundreds of years it takes some institutions to reach east Asia/India. Plus you get some sweet metropolises out of it!
« Last Edit: October 30, 2016, 03:03:38 pm by Rex_Nex »

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #2809 on: October 30, 2016, 05:05:14 pm »

Also you can conquer institutions, motivation for an ottoblob to take over italy and spain

MrRoboto75

• Bay Watcher
  • Belongs in the Trash!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2810 on: October 30, 2016, 05:16:44 pm »

Also you can conquer institutions, motivation for an ottoblob to take over italy and spain

All will fall to mighty keblob.
I consume
I purchase
I consume again

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #2811 on: October 30, 2016, 06:29:44 pm »

in ottoman empire, keblob remove you

PanH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2812 on: October 31, 2016, 01:28:25 am »

It is, long term wise.
The 1500 or so mana you'll spend getting renaissance to pop in China will be offset by the decreased tech you'll pay if you didn't, AND you'll get plenty of development out of it.

ein

• Bay Watcher
  • 勝利の女神はここよ~ 早く捕まえてぇ~
    • View Profile
« Reply #2813 on: October 31, 2016, 02:55:09 am »

spending points on development is no different from spending points to westernise

except it actually benefits your cities rather than leaving your country in turmoil for years

Iceblaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 50% less in-jokes!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2814 on: October 31, 2016, 08:24:37 am »

Yeah. In my current NA game, as Powhatan, I was able to develop up to Colonialism and Feudalism just as England was beginning to get a foothold in Florida and Mexico. Hopefully I'll be able to slowly colonist creep up to her and get that reform of the government :P

MrRoboto75

• Bay Watcher
  • Belongs in the Trash!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2815 on: October 31, 2016, 12:29:26 pm »

>Lose one war, 90% of my country disapears

Oh yeah, that's why I don't play this often
I consume
I purchase
I consume again

SaberToothTiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Wannabe Shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #2816 on: October 31, 2016, 03:41:39 pm »

I bought EU 4 and something struck me almost immediately whilst playing Poland.

Why are my vassals, allies and enemies retarded? They walk around with no discernible purpose, walking in circles on the far outskirts of their respective lands, ignoring each other and only actually fighting when they accidentally bump into each other. You probably played this quite a bit, so could you tell me is it the norm for the AI to try and fail to enact combat?

Not even gonna touch on how when I try-played Castille England got invaded by France whilst the english navy was busy getting it on with portuguese sailors in Lisbon. I already heard that the AI doesn't know how to water.
I gaze into its milky depths, searching the wheat and sugar for the meanings I can never find.
It's like tea leaf divination, but with cartoon leprechauns.
There are only two sure things in life: death and taxes and lists and poor arithmetic and overlong jokes and poor memory and probably a few more things.

ein

• Bay Watcher
  • 勝利の女神はここよ~ 早く捕まえてぇ~
    • View Profile
« Reply #2817 on: October 31, 2016, 04:05:09 pm »

the ai tends to avoid unfavourable engagements

crossing a river and fighting in mountains or forest terrain give penalties to the attacker, while fighting in an enemy fort gives penalties to the sieging party

you can't do much for your allies, but in the subject screen, you can set your vassals to be supportive, and tick the 'friendlies can attach' box on a particular army, which will encourage them to move their armies with yours

on the flip side, you know that when the ai does move in to engage, it means they're confident in their ability to defeat you

Persus13

• Bay Watcher
  • 6th King of the Mafia
    • View Profile
« Reply #2818 on: October 31, 2016, 04:10:14 pm »

If you have art of war you can also tell an ally or vassal to siege a province. Sometimes it works.
Congratulations Persus, now you are forced to have the same personal text for an entire year!
Longbowmen horsearcher doomstacks that suffer no attrition and can navigate all major rivers without ships.
Sigtext

Digital Hellhound

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2819 on: October 31, 2016, 04:19:10 pm »

Nearby armies will almost always rush in if a battle starts somewhere, so feel free to help your allies to the bloodshed by recklessly charging the enemy. Just make sure they arrive in time so you don't get routed moments before they get there.
Russia is simply taking an anti-Fascist stance against European Nazi products, they should be applauded. ¡No parmesan!
Pages: 1 ... 186 187 [188] 189 190 ... 216