Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 187 188 [189] 190 191 ... 216

Author Topic: Europa Universalis IV  (Read 447883 times)

Iceblaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 50% less in-jokes!
    • View Profile
Re: Europa Universalis IV
« Reply #2820 on: October 31, 2016, 06:20:18 pm »

My game at the moment.

How long does it normally take for maps to update? Because I've had no europe reveal for so long. Morroco is on the great powers board for pete's sake. I wanna know :c

MrRoboto75

• Bay Watcher
  • Belongs in the Trash!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2821 on: October 31, 2016, 06:53:34 pm »

I bought EU 4 and something struck me almost immediately whilst playing Poland.

Why are my vassals, allies and enemies retarded? They walk around with no discernible purpose, walking in circles on the far outskirts of their respective lands, ignoring each other and only actually fighting when they accidentally bump into each other. You probably played this quite a bit, so could you tell me is it the norm for the AI to try and fail to enact combat?

The enemies in the africa game I just lost would often just venture off into the uncolonized land just to be eaten by the natives.
I consume
I purchase
I consume again

Rex_Nex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2822 on: October 31, 2016, 08:46:33 pm »

I bought EU 4 and something struck me almost immediately whilst playing Poland.

Why are my vassals, allies and enemies retarded? They walk around with no discernible purpose, walking in circles on the far outskirts of their respective lands, ignoring each other and only actually fighting when they accidentally bump into each other. You probably played this quite a bit, so could you tell me is it the norm for the AI to try and fail to enact combat?

This is actually a new "feature" with the latest patch that just dropped. Paradox made a bunch of adjustments to the AI that causes them to try and play smarter during wars, but most of the time it really just screws them up. They get stuck in logic loops and are way too noncommittal. I thought it was neat that the AI was trying to play smarter when the patch dropped, but as I've spent more time with them I think this causes way more gameplay problems than previous AI did.

It's pretty likely that the AI will get some tuning, but I also heard the guy who worked on the AI up until now stopped working on EU4, so...

takfpbi

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #2823 on: November 01, 2016, 07:53:55 am »

smarter
stuck in logic loops
way too noncommittal
lol nerd simulation

Kot

• Bay Watcher
  • 2 Patriotic 4 U
    • View Profile
    • Tiny Pixel Soldiers
« Reply #2824 on: November 01, 2016, 07:57:49 am »

So it is basically 100% accurate simulation of average Europa Universalis player?
Kot finishes his morning routine in the same way he always does, by burning a scale replica of Saint Basil's Cathedral on the windowsill.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #2825 on: November 01, 2016, 08:27:53 am »

So it is basically 100% accurate simulation of average Europa Universalis player?
The average Europa player tends to do too much in game, than too little

The "there is no such thing as overextension, only lack of admin points" strategy

Iceblaster

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2826 on: November 01, 2016, 10:39:41 am »

i try to be balanced :c

Only time I really agressively expand is because it's random minors in the americas/SE asia because AE don't matter when everyone's dead :P

CABL

• Bay Watcher
  • Has a fetish for voring the rich
    • View Profile
« Reply #2827 on: November 03, 2016, 11:18:20 am »

Damn you, UK AI! I'm frigging serious, England/UK probably has THE WORST AI IN EU4! In my game as Morocco, France DoW'ed UK (I was in alliance with the UK). France occupied Navarra (which was owned by Brits), sunk my fleet, and occupied almost all modern-day Morocco. What UK did in this war? You guessed it.
Pounded in the Butt by my own Government... oh wait, that's real life.

Much less active than I used to be on these forums, but I still visit them on occasion. Will probably resume my activity in full once Dwarf Fortress will be released on Steam.

SaberToothTiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Wannabe Shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #2828 on: November 03, 2016, 01:55:00 pm »

holy shit polan is stronk

pu lithuania as usual

rekt teutons and magyars

vassalized livonians

somehow got a pu over mucovy

integrated livonia

vassalized teutons

holy shit, all this in less that 80 years, wtf paradox pls nerf
I gaze into its milky depths, searching the wheat and sugar for the meanings I can never find.
It's like tea leaf divination, but with cartoon leprechauns.
There are only two sure things in life: death and taxes and lists and poor arithmetic and overlong jokes and poor memory and probably a few more things.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #2829 on: November 04, 2016, 06:37:39 am »

Damn you, UK AI! I'm frigging serious, England/UK probably has THE WORST AI IN EU4! In my game as Morocco, France DoW'ed UK (I was in alliance with the UK). France occupied Navarra (which was owned by Brits), sunk my fleet, and occupied almost all modern-day Morocco. What UK did in this war? You guessed it.
I think it goes down to how the game doesn't really know how to handle naval powers, hence why Venice rarely ever bucks historical decline (even if the East Indies spice trade isn't rerouted through to Seville), with England it's even worse, the AI often managing to get itself fractured when all it had to do was just use its navy to keep enemy armies away. There is this strange gap between how powerful it is when controlled by players and AI that really goes down to how AI can't naval empire for shit

Iceblaster

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2830 on: November 04, 2016, 07:36:54 am »

Honestly, I've heard that at least with a strait between kent and calais, England isn't totally useless. Sure, it might not be exactly realistic, but until naval AI gets better it might help.

Though then again, I might be misremembering.

Kot

• Bay Watcher
  • 2 Patriotic 4 U
    • View Profile
    • Tiny Pixel Soldiers
« Reply #2831 on: November 04, 2016, 07:58:11 am »

holy shit polan is stronk

pu lithuania as usual

rekt teutons and magyars

vassalized livonians

somehow got a pu over mucovy

integrated livonia

vassalized teutons

holy shit, all this in less that 80 years, wtf paradox pls nerf
100% historical and true. Deal with it.
Kot finishes his morning routine in the same way he always does, by burning a scale replica of Saint Basil's Cathedral on the windowsill.

Digital Hellhound

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2832 on: November 04, 2016, 08:55:10 am »

I took great pleasure in humiliating the Poles again and again as the Teutonic Order (later Prussia). I even purged some provinces of weakling Polish influence before I realized they were quite happy in slavery. Later, I enjoyed invading and force-converting two-province Poland to Protestant whenever I got bored (somehow, they always reverted to Catholic).

Through all this, through all the screams of Winged Hussars being crushed under Teutonic discipline, I was thinking of you, Kot.

(Okay, I wasn't. I was mainly thinking how lucky and desperate my victories were, because Poland is terrifying.)

(Also, wow cultural conversion feels too easy given it's gotta represent either genocide or the kind of cultural suppression and re-education that historically took generations.)
Russia is simply taking an anti-Fascist stance against European Nazi products, they should be applauded. ¡No parmesan!

Kot

• Bay Watcher
  • 2 Patriotic 4 U
    • View Profile
    • Tiny Pixel Soldiers
« Reply #2833 on: November 04, 2016, 11:33:58 am »

(Also, wow cultural conversion feels too easy given it's gotta represent either genocide or the kind of cultural suppression and re-education that historically took generations.)
It should be noted that this is what various countries tried with Poland for quite a long while and it never truly worked out.

Rex_Nex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2834 on: November 04, 2016, 12:43:08 pm »

Honestly, I've heard that at least with a strait between kent and calais, England isn't totally useless. Sure, it might not be exactly realistic, but until naval AI gets better it might help.

Though then again, I might be misremembering.

It would help, but usually the English do help out their allies in wars now, the naval AI has gotten much better. I think RoM introduced some kind of bug that causes AI armies to wait indefinitely for transports, though. Might have been caused by that, but that's just a guess.

What hasn't gotten better is how the AI interacts with overseas provinces. The AI will never, ever declare war on a nation it doesn't have a direct land/strait connection with. This is probably the worst AI bug currently in EU4 because it causes so many problems. England/Japan going basically AFK for hundreds of years, the Emperor being unable to keep the HRE healthy, the inability for the Ottomans to ever purge the Knights, the stagnate diplomacy of Indonesia, etc. I wouldn't be surprised if that was the main motivator for the kent-calais strait. I'm sad it didn't make it in.
Pages: 1 ... 187 188 [189] 190 191 ... 216