Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 196 197 [198] 199 200 ... 216

Author Topic: Europa Universalis IV  (Read 447912 times)

Wiles

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Europa Universalis IV
« Reply #2955 on: June 17, 2017, 09:16:32 am »

Are any of the recent DLCs for EUIV considered "must haves" (I own all of them up until Mare Nostrum)?

There's a paradox sale on steam and I'm torn between buying HoI4 or catching up on EUIV dlcs that I don't own. I stopped buying EUIVs dlc when they seemed to be selling DLCs that added very little to the game for what seemed to be a rather ridiculous price. They've since jacked the prices up even more which has made buying them even less appealing. But there's a sale on now so maybe some of them are worthwhile?

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
« Reply #2956 on: June 18, 2017, 11:22:23 am »

How does the "Siberian Frontier" mechanic work?

I've tried looking it up, there's no dev diary relating to it (that I can see), and everything else is people going on about it without any explanations as to what the mechanic actually is.
IIRC, Russians don't have to deal with natives in their colonies as long as that colony borders one of their provinces.
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

Rex_Nex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2957 on: June 18, 2017, 12:01:54 pm »

I've tried looking it up, there's no dev diary relating to it (that I can see), and everything else is people going on about it without any explanations as to what the mechanic actually is.

You automatically colonize any and all provinces that both borders you and reaches your capital over land. The colony costs almost nothing to maintain and you can have as many as you'd like.

Tawa

• Bay Watcher
  • the first mankind all over the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #2958 on: June 18, 2017, 01:14:06 pm »

You automatically colonize any and all provinces that both borders you and reaches your capital over land. The colony costs almost nothing to maintain and you can have as many as you'd like.
Hang on a second. Wouldn't this mean that if you were playing as Russia and conquered a path down to Africa, you could theoretically colonize the African interior for free?
I don't use Bay12 much anymore. PM me if you need to get in touch with me and I'll send you my Discord handle.

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
« Reply #2959 on: June 18, 2017, 02:01:40 pm »

Hang on a second. Wouldn't this mean that if you were playing as Russia and conquered a path down to Africa, you could theoretically colonize the African interior for free?
I guess so.
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

Rakonas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2960 on: June 18, 2017, 08:36:35 pm »

You have to spend 20 dip to start the colony though, it's not automatic.

Rex_Nex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2961 on: June 18, 2017, 11:36:47 pm »

Yep! Forgot about that, thanks.

Yes. The mechanic is broken. The colonization is also relatively fast - starting a OPM nation in America with the Siberian Frontier idea will let you colonize the entire continent within a century or two.

ZeroGravitas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2962 on: June 19, 2017, 11:12:56 am »

Yep! Forgot about that, thanks.

Yes. The mechanic is broken. The colonization is also relatively fast - starting a OPM nation in America with the Siberian Frontier idea will let you colonize the entire continent within a century or two.

Hmm, time for an easy "First Come, First Serve" achievement? I tried it once and it was tedious as hell and relied on waiting for the AI to help you colonize.

ZeroGravitas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2963 on: July 05, 2017, 12:30:41 pm »

Hmm, time for an easy "First Come, First Serve" achievement? I tried it once and it was tedious as hell and relied on waiting for the AI to help you colonize.

So I did this and it was indeed quite easy, even starting as Zoroastrian (and oh my god is converting all the Mesoamericans to Zoroastrianism slow). I also colonized Philippines -> India and conquered Persia and completed the CN Zoroastrian achievement.

But now I'm looking at Idea Guy - and the income requirement to get the achievement just seems absurdly high. Even with 100% of the Americas and losing virtually no trade income to Europe (plus stealing quite a bit from Asia via Philippines->California transfer), is there any way to get Ideas Guy without conquering most of Europe? It's barely 1700 so I should have plenty of time to conquer English Channel and a bunch of stuff around it, but jeez. 500 ducats / month isn't kidding around.

Chosrau

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2964 on: July 05, 2017, 02:47:58 pm »

Idea Guys was extremely easy for me. Start in the Americas, make sure to grab the economic national ideas ideas (most importantly Goods Produced modifier, which I forgot and this probably prolonged my run substantially), go wild on colonizing and spam manufactories everywhere.

I did finish sometime before Enlightenment Insitituion unlocked which is pre-1700 I believe. And this was before Siberian Frontier, so it must have become way easier now.

For best results start somewhere in southern North America, where all the cotton can spawn to get even more Settler growth.

ZeroGravitas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2965 on: July 05, 2017, 03:40:15 pm »

Idea Guys was extremely easy for me. Start in the Americas, make sure to grab the economic national ideas ideas (most importantly Goods Produced modifier, which I forgot and this probably prolonged my run substantially), go wild on colonizing and spam manufactories everywhere.

I did finish sometime before Enlightenment Insitituion unlocked which is pre-1700 I believe. And this was before Siberian Frontier, so it must have become way easier now.

For best results start somewhere in southern North America, where all the cotton can spawn to get even more Settler growth.

Did you only do Ideas Guy, though? Because I was doing FCFS and Rekindling the Fires, I could only start with 200 points worth of NIs. Ideas Guy allows you 800 points so it could be substantially easier than how I'm doing it.

Chosrau

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2966 on: July 05, 2017, 03:56:01 pm »

Ok that does make it harder, in which case you probably just have blob more. Make sure you can actually get Ideas Guy before investing the effort. IIRC Rekindling the flames allows you up to 5 starting provinces, Ideas Guy limits you to one 3-development province.

ZeroGravitas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2967 on: July 06, 2017, 10:03:34 am »

Ok that does make it harder, in which case you probably just have blob more. Make sure you can actually get Ideas Guy before investing the effort. IIRC Rekindling the flames allows you up to 5 starting provinces, Ideas Guy limits you to one 3-development province.

Yeah, I made sure I met the starting requirements for as many custom nations achievements as possible. With Siberian Frontier starting in a 1/1/1 province wasn't much of a disadvantage. But after that I had to spend like 50 out of my 200 for Western tech for First Come First Serve.

Edit: yeah, got it just by blobbing more.
« Last Edit: July 10, 2017, 01:24:18 pm by ZeroGravitas »

Tawa

• Bay Watcher
  • the first mankind all over the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #2968 on: July 06, 2017, 08:28:53 pm »

I'm trying a Mamluks -> Arabia run. I've taken 90% of Mashirq, Arabia from the Red Sea to the Persian Gulf, and bits of Yemen; I've also vassalized Oman, so now my priorities are basically to diplo-annex Oman, possibly (diplo)-annex Yemen, and basically try to hit Admin 10 ASAP so I can get Arabia and all the fun stuff that comes with it like Empire rank.

Problem: Ottomans are after me. Bigger problem: They have guns and a 2-star commander. I have no guns, a 1-star commander, and to make matters worse Tunis abandoned their family and Egypt (will make them pay for their betrayal later.) They declared before my intended Polish alliance could be worked out.

Any suggestions of what to do? Appeasement could be a problematic strategy, because IIRC the province they're after is needed to form Arabia. Right now, I'm thinking I'll blow a ton of money and probably take a few loans on mercs, then sort out the economy later.

E: Alright, scratch that, I figured out what to do. I restarted after they crushed me. The trick, it turns out, is to deny them crucial territory early on, so what you should do is ally Karaman and feed them Ramazan and Dulkadir. This creates a buffer between the Ottomans and you, which buys you time to take more important anti-Ottoman measures, like allying one of their rivals. It also doesn't hurt to guarantee Byzantium--the longer you can stall the fall of Constantinople, the longer you can stall the Ottomans becoming an empire.
« Last Edit: July 09, 2017, 02:19:42 pm by Tawa »
I don't use Bay12 much anymore. PM me if you need to get in touch with me and I'll send you my Discord handle.

ZeroGravitas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2969 on: July 10, 2017, 01:18:32 pm »

E: Alright, scratch that, I figured out what to do. I restarted after they crushed me. The trick, it turns out, is to deny them crucial territory early on, so what you should do is ally Karaman and feed them Ramazan and Dulkadir. This creates a buffer between the Ottomans and you, which buys you time to take more important anti-Ottoman measures, like allying one of their rivals. It also doesn't hurt to guarantee Byzantium--the longer you can stall the fall of Constantinople, the longer you can stall the Ottomans becoming an empire.

Yeah. This happened to me in a Naples game. You really can't leave the Ottomans alone early, if you neighbor them and want any kind of peace.
« Last Edit: July 10, 2017, 01:25:02 pm by ZeroGravitas »
Pages: 1 ... 196 197 [198] 199 200 ... 216