Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 200 201 [202] 203 204 ... 216

Author Topic: Europa Universalis IV  (Read 447882 times)

Urist McScoopbeard

• Bay Watcher
  • Damnit Scoopz!
    • View Profile
Re: Europa Universalis IV
« Reply #3015 on: October 18, 2017, 11:27:46 am »

Hallo,I'm actually doing quite good at the moment. Managed to secure an alliance with the Mamluks, which ensures I will basically always have local superiority over the Ottomans, basically took all the balkans back with only greece proper left to the big green blob.

My long-term strategy is actually one of attrition. I don't really like doing the whole world domination thing. I'm more focused on making hungary/the balkans an absolute nightmare for countries to invade. At the most, I imagine I won't take much more than austria for its gold and venice for the node.
This conversation is getting disturbing fast, disturbingly erotic.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #3016 on: October 18, 2017, 11:50:03 am »

No, I mean, the idea that you should fight Austria first because you don't want to fight Ottomans yet is completely bananas.
???
You don't fight Austria first, you fight Venice first with Austrian help. You probably could invade the Austrians first but it's a riskier affair and not as cheap and profitable as invading Venice.

Austria is going to have many more and useful allies; Ottomans will have few if any. When you're stuck between two larger powers (like Austria/PLC and Ottomans) the obvious thing to do is make them fight each other at the expense of the strongest. You should absolutely fight Ottomans and shouldn't have any trouble getting Constantinople in the second war, probably pre-1480s.
That's great if you can, but if you can't then my strat wins over the Ottomans with Hungary sola. What's more the Ottomans simply don't need allies at all to make war a poor life choice pre-mil tech 14, and that's assuming they are without allies - they usually don't have trouble finding allies in France, especially if they mutually rival Austria. Austria by comparison shares the Vienna trade node with Hungary, has really shit strategic depth, and it's incredibly easy to ally with the French or Bohemians to partition Austria with ease at the early game.

I did Dracula's Revenge as Wallachia; it would be a thousand times easier to do the same thing but as Hungary.
Attacking the Ottomans through land warfare early game results in bad times most times. Attacking their economy, attacking by sea, all these things are good for me :]

You keep bringing up these mechanics and strategies that apply to halfway through a playthrough. We are talking about pre-1500 here. Idea groups don't even come into play yet.
Of course they do, a strategy is a plan which achieves a long-term goal, it is not a short plan of action. Taking over the Wien, Venice and Ragusa trade nodes gives you an easy selection of states throughout Italy and the Balkans that offer great riches with little resistance, and Austria herself can be a juicy target before mil tech 14, and if you can't take on Austria you can still take over the Vienna trade node or expand east/northwards. By contrast there isn't a good reason to go attack the Ottomans pre-1500 after the truce ends, and if you look closely you'll see the mechanics and strategies I have said are all on a timeline. What this means is that they create windows which are not dependent upon the actions of the Ottomans or allies, but will inevitably happen. You don't pick innovative at the start to benefit immediately, the benefits manifest after 1500 for example. Likewise I don't understand why you'd want to attack the Ottomans when the power discrepancy between you is largest. Pre-1500 the Ottomans have more development, more income, more discipline, higher morale, a better leader, better military leaders, better infantry, better cavalry, better infantry combat ability, vastly more manpower, galleys and Forts on the Bosphorous. Thus the strategy is not to attack the Ottomans when you are weak and they strong, but to attack when you are strong and they are weak. How do you become strong? With this strategy. This is what separates the proposal of having the Ottomans fight the Austrians from the strategy of making Hungary so strong that random chance cannot stop Hungary's victory; the former is an opportunity which may arise, or never arise, the latter will occur.

Hallo,I'm actually doing quite good at the moment. Managed to secure an alliance with the Mamluks, which ensures I will basically always have local superiority over the Ottomans, basically took all the balkans back with only greece proper left to the big green blob.
My long-term strategy is actually one of attrition. I don't really like doing the whole world domination thing. I'm more focused on making hungary/the balkans an absolute nightmare for countries to invade. At the most, I imagine I won't take much more than austria for its gold and venice for the node.
Yeah you're safe by this point. Maybe colonize Australia for banter's sake

What's your experience with attrition? For the most part I've found attrition strats to be pretty meh with big blobs like France, Ottomans and Russians, but great fun against high discipline-low depth countries like Prussia and the Italians. My most recent fun was when I metagamed as fuck a broken custom nation OPM in Persia, as a little Hindu state of Mazandaran.
With the Defensive Edict, taking only Mountain provinces, maxing out on Defensive ideas and policies, I managed to get just under 130% Fort Defense on every single province I had. That I took quantity and maxed out attrition made it even funnier for anything that dared to invade.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
It gets hilarious when you consider defensive bonuses also apply to land you occupy, so even if you're outnumbered 5 to 1 occupying their land while they die from attrition in yours is a viable strat

Urist McScoopbeard

• Bay Watcher
  • Damnit Scoopz!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3017 on: October 18, 2017, 12:02:23 pm »

Thus far, other than my latest reconquest of the balkans all of my wars have been won via attrition. Ottomans kept going to town on my forts. When they did cause a breach this actually worked to my benefit as every now and then one of their armies would become isolated. When armies were isolated--especially while still sieging a fortress--I engaged on about a 2:1 ratio. By the end of the war they had 0 manpower left in reserve. So did I, but all I had to do was keep them away from Pest.

Frankly though, it's a dangerous game to play, and lucky nations are really really bullshit lol. One slip up and the war is over.

ZeroGravitas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3018 on: October 18, 2017, 12:19:29 pm »

Yeah, you're on the right track. Even better is to only have Mountain forts (or even a single fort on Mountain) and always attack the Ottomans there.

Mamluks are a decent ally but not the best as they're isolated from your own armies. Austrians / Poland-Lith are better.

Urist McScoopbeard

• Bay Watcher
  • Damnit Scoopz!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3019 on: October 18, 2017, 12:28:29 pm »

Yeah, you're on the right track. Even better is to only have Mountain forts (or even a single fort on Mountain) and always attack the Ottomans there.

Mamluks are a decent ally but not the best as they're isolated from your own armies. Austrians / Poland-Lith are better.

I've actually made the switch from having Austria as an Ally to France as an ally. Poland is still a rival.

Here's the thing about Mamluks. I don't need support against the Ottomans when I have even a little numerical superiority. All they do is drag one of their army stacks (usually 17-30k) down to the Middle East and Egypt. At that point, it's game over for Ottomans. I took everything not on the Anatolian peninsula last time out. The only reason I didn't finish the job last time is because I have literally no navy.

As far as forts go. Yes, mountain forts are great and a good portion of my forts are on highlands or mountains. I think I'll end up taking Greece and Constantinople though at which point I'll move my capital and just have layer after layer of fortresses on which to grind down the armies of Europe.

ZeroGravitas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3020 on: October 18, 2017, 12:55:54 pm »

Oh yeah, by the time you've got the Ottomans knocked into just Anatolia, it's time to switch from Austria as an ally.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #3021 on: October 18, 2017, 03:55:10 pm »

I wonder just how disturbing you can get with Fort placements. Like full Ming great wall tier of nasty.

Urist McScoopbeard

• Bay Watcher
  • Damnit Scoopz!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3022 on: October 18, 2017, 05:16:57 pm »

I wonder just how disturbing you can get with Fort placements. Like full Ming great wall tier of nasty.

If you can get the Balkans' shit together it's basically worse to invade than Russia. Carpathians are nice and since seaborne invasions are terribad, you basically have to get through multiple layers of mountain fortress lines. The only weakness is the gap between the Carpathians and the Black Sea.

MrRoboto75

• Bay Watcher
  • Belongs in the Trash!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3023 on: October 18, 2017, 06:06:37 pm »

The AI will probably just ignore your zone of control anyway
I consume
I purchase
I consume again

Urist McScoopbeard

• Bay Watcher
  • Damnit Scoopz!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3024 on: October 18, 2017, 08:25:29 pm »

The AI will probably just ignore your zone of control anyway

I haven't had any problems with it yet.

In other news, I started a game a The Knights, and well... it's also going quite swimmingly. Took Naxos, Crete, and Cyprus... have the world's second largest navy (after totally destroying the Ottoman's navy, literally it didn't exist for a couple of decades.) Despite that... no one wants to ally with me... there's no real possibilities for me. Colonization is a fucking pain. Islands are surprisingly hard to come by in the Mediterranean.

EDIT: I guess I'm just being too stingy. Is it time to start declaring wars with no cassus belli so I can get the power I need to be politically important? I can easily take on other nations at the sea. I just have no army.
« Last Edit: October 18, 2017, 08:37:51 pm by Urist McScoopbeard »

MrRoboto75

• Bay Watcher
  • Belongs in the Trash!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3025 on: October 18, 2017, 08:47:11 pm »

I think alliance willingness is weighted more towards army strength than navy strength.
I consume
I purchase
I consume again

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #3026 on: October 20, 2017, 06:12:30 am »

I haven't had any problems with it yet.
In other news, I started a game a The Knights, and well... it's also going quite swimmingly. Took Naxos, Crete, and Cyprus... have the world's second largest navy (after totally destroying the Ottoman's navy, literally it didn't exist for a couple of decades.) Despite that... no one wants to ally with me... there's no real possibilities for me. Colonization is a fucking pain. Islands are surprisingly hard to come by in the Mediterranean.
EDIT: I guess I'm just being too stingy. Is it time to start declaring wars with no cassus belli so I can get the power I need to be politically important? I can easily take on other nations at the sea. I just have no army.
The Knights' ability to raid is sexy. When you start getting island outposts everywhere from the Caribbean to the Pacific that's when you really go overboard as any heathen/heretic province two ocean tiles or less away from one of your ports is fair game. Caribbean, Eastern Med, Zanzibar, Gulf of Aden, the entirety of Southeast Asia... Delicious loot.
Also the most important alliance for the Knights imo is the Papal states. Just to get to +195 or even +200 with the Papal States, this way you get maximum Papal Influence with religious ideas and Knights traditions. Means you never have to spend a single point on stability ever again, and you can run every single Papal bonus and become controller at the same time. Alliance acceptance offer weights both Army and Navy strength, but AI really likes army strength. You can mouse over the UI to see why the AI wants to ally you or doesn't want to ally you, if it's because you're army is too small for them it'll say something like (army strength -17 will indicate they don't like your small army, while army strength +20 indicates they really like your army). It weights to a maximum of +10 for navies and +20 for armies. Because of Papal relations the Knights can DOW without casus belli, but it's preferable to just use religious holy war casus belli to blob through Africa and Egypt to begin doom rolling into Asia until Imperialism is unlocked. Also if you're not yet at strength to contest the Ottomans on land, you can still inflict lots of pain upon the Ottomans through aggressive wars - focusing on taking Euboea, Corfu and increasing their loans, war exhaustion and stealing their trade power through blockades and raids. This nets you lots of profit at very low risk and makes the Ottomans greatly weaker, even better when it incites people to DOW on them and rebels to pop, allowing you to take them over in future. Expansion into Italy is also a very safe bet, even contesting Spain for Sicily, Malta, Sardinia, Baleares and Corsica is possible without a single fight provided you keep their troops stuck on land.
GB makes for a good ally when you transition your navy from Galleys to Heavy Warships, just to ensure you don't get your fleet wiped out in the transitional period by any potential rivals.

*EDIT
lmao this is why you've always got to be careful dealing with Ottomans early game
« Last Edit: October 21, 2017, 05:28:59 pm by Loud Whispers »

Urist McScoopbeard

• Bay Watcher
  • Damnit Scoopz!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3027 on: October 22, 2017, 10:55:21 pm »

Updootens for everyone!

1.) Hungary game is on hiatus. I've hit critical mass and nothing interesting is happening other than constantly reinforcing my mountainous death-trap.

2.) The Knights game is fucking lit. It's 16-something, I own the mediterranean, and I bring terror to all the world. Spain got Morrocofied, so I have tons of room for raiding without even having to leave the... Knightish Sea. Ottomans try and take Naxos everything 30 years but just end up giving me all of tier heavy ships and leaving their galleasses and early frigates at the bottom of the aegean. Armies are a little problematic, with raiding just enough to support my naval dominance between major conflicts. Not sure where to expand to, perhaps I will just keep island-hopping.

3.) I'm trying to figure out how to do an OPM game where I only stick with one province... sadly the mechanics don't seem to really fit this, but I REALLY want to do it, so if you guys have any ideas I am very much down to hear them.

Rex_Nex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3028 on: October 23, 2017, 09:34:05 am »

Starting games with The Knights is probably going to be a fair bit harder next patch, so enjoy it while you can! Back in 2015 Paradox introduced a bug that completely stopped the AI from declaring war over a sea zone, so nations like The Knights/Cyprus/Maldives or even a united GB/Japan/Madagascar have complete diplomatic immunity currently. Having the Ottomans and Mamluks breathing down your neck could make things a fair bit more hairy, especially now that sailors stop you from spamming unholy amounts of galleys.
« Last Edit: October 23, 2017, 09:35:37 am by Rex_Nex »

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #3029 on: October 23, 2017, 09:47:32 am »

Is sailor an issue for anyone? It always seems to me that naval forcelimit is much more significant.

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.
Pages: 1 ... 200 201 [202] 203 204 ... 216