Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 209 210 [211] 212 213 ... 216

Author Topic: Europa Universalis IV  (Read 446995 times)

Karnewarrior

• Bay Watcher
  • That guy who used to be here all the time
    • View Profile
Re: Europa Universalis IV
« Reply #3150 on: January 25, 2019, 12:57:07 am »

Yup. Because, basically, the defender in the fort already has the best defensive ground, and when a marching army enters the province and attacks your dudes, they're basically pincer'd, meaning they don't get the defender bonus.
Thou art I, I art Thou.
The trust you have bestowed upon thy comrade is now reciprocated in turn.
Thou shall be blessed when calling upon personae of the Hangman Arcana.
May this tie bind thee to a brighter future!​
Ikusaba Quest! - Fistfighting space robots for the benefit of your familial bonds to Satan is passe, so you call Sherlock Holmes and ask her to pop by.

FantasticDorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3151 on: January 25, 2019, 03:35:30 am »

Yup. Because, basically, the defender in the fort already has the best defensive ground, and when a marching army enters the province and attacks your dudes, they're basically pincer'd, meaning they don't get the defender bonus.

Core Teutonic strategy, they have the most wooded forts per capita and land-mass in Northern Europe for a independent country in defense against the large bordering slavic nations. Key problem being that lacking early troop density (11 - 14  standing troops isn't shabby but isnt 20 troops either) without the wooded fortresses against larger stacks you'll have a tough time, even with +5% discipline and a nice general imparted.

My dream setup would be to put another fortress on Neumark and a forward fortress in Lithuanian lands to cover the exposed eastern grassy side but funds rarely allow it. Pomerania is reasonably easy to defend and Berlin is harder to take (more lucrative to own) for said reasons.
« Last Edit: January 25, 2019, 03:37:47 am by FantasticDorf »

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #3152 on: February 26, 2019, 11:04:59 pm »

Tried to learn this again, and got a few dlc a while ago to add to that.

I did a Napolean run.  I push the Pope out of rome early, but never took the rest of it, instead going around him and up the coastline all the way to venice and nice.  The asshole allied with the ottomans :|

And when I quit I felt that while I learned a lot about trade and money and colonialization, I got stale instead of learning new ways to play the mid to late game.  If 1580 is indeed late....

I fell behind in diplo tech because I kept taking land from, well, everywhere.  Nice, Tunis, Portuguese Guiana. I even tried to set up cuba.  Eventually I ran afoul of britain as it was me, otto, britain, and spain as the main powerhouses.  I realized I was boned when I lacked the men to cover all the rioting the ottomans seeded via spys.  oh well, when they dowed I agreed to quit.

But, If I controlled 80% of the genoian trade node and 50% of the venetian one, is it worth it to collect from venice and genoa?
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

ZeroGravitas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3153 on: February 27, 2019, 08:30:50 am »

Probably, although the better strategy is to control 100% of the Genoa or Venice node and not bother with anything in the other node. Then you conquer the upstream points.

One way to save on Dip is to switch to a Dip-free CB as soon as possible - like Religious ideas group. Otherwise you're paying hundreds every war.

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3154 on: March 15, 2019, 02:36:57 pm »

h
« Last Edit: March 15, 2019, 03:31:51 pm by pisskop »
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3155 on: March 15, 2019, 02:41:48 pm »

Ummm.

So I chose to play as the kongolese nation Lunda.  they have specific ideas differing from their neighbors, so.

Ive made it to 1700.  I own most of central aftica down, excepting some of Madagascar.  I spent many points eg on development instead of tech, since the penalty was so high.  now that I've equalized my institutions, I find Im behind all but some of the Polynesians in tech.

my issue is that with my own colonies and the surviving powerbases of indo-arabia, i am starting to bump uglies with much more advanced people who i cannot just overwhelm with hordes as i have been.  Persia, virhanija idianstan, northern indiastan, mamluks, aragon (who i just got to self destruct) - all really intimidating to me rn as a player.  I'm losing battles with small nations fielding a third of my army, and its my manpower that keeps me competitive.

how to turn my strong economy that can support a 60k army and 4 colonies running into tech?  i really am behind . . . and alliances are less protective for me than the geography of africa . . .
« Last Edit: March 15, 2019, 02:48:42 pm by pisskop »
PKs DF Mod!

Digital Hellhound

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3156 on: March 15, 2019, 03:46:41 pm »

No quick and easy way to do it. Hire +3 advisors, downsizing your army as needed. Stop development and wait. Have all institutions appeared already? If not, save cash so you can embrace institutions ASAP or invest it in ways that help institution spread (like Manufactories, if it hasn’t triggered yet). Your big size is going to work heavily against you. If you’ve got them all already there’s no problem there.

There’s probably some gamey ways to increase tech gain... having advanced vassals will help for safe neighbor bonuses and a competitive army (make sure to March them, then send officers and subsidize). I’ve never tried Steal Technology espionage, but that might help too? Some Ideas also help with tech costs, but getting them does consume those points just as well.
Russia is simply taking an anti-Fascist stance against European Nazi products, they should be applauded. ¡No parmesan!

Rex_Nex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3157 on: March 15, 2019, 06:18:55 pm »

Between neighbor bonuses, study tech, and the best advisers you can afford, you should be able to catch up fairly quick.

If you're playing in east Asia or south Africa, the only development you can really afford for the first few centuries is throwing 30+ into a single province to generate something like the Renaissance which would otherwise take ages to spread. Spreading it around will just leave you in your situation.

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3158 on: May 07, 2019, 01:01:26 am »

Moments like this make me hate this game:

I've gotten to a point where the great powers of the world just non-stop attack me. England is allied to the Ottomans and Morocco and they declare war on me. After waiting them out and plenty of losses, Spain who has consumed half a France, Naples, and the Netherlands declares war on me, and somehow gets military access through Morocco, their rival. Before I wait them out, England attacks me again, and now I'm at war with the ottomans and Morocco again (I'm Kongo). They have all been constantly hitting me with high level espionage attacks, I literally cannot counter espionage them all.

With only 2 tech levels behind my armies are losing 3 to 1 battles both on land and in the sea, and they always have 3 star generals. I have yet to see a 1 star. They are also rivaled to each other yet will not attack their direct (vulnerable) neighbors. I'm afraid that the next century is going to be me in debt fighting off endless armies from the great powers with nothing to show for it.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #3159 on: May 09, 2019, 12:32:05 pm »

What year are you playing? Being two army techs behind can be negligible or utterly decisive depending on what year it is, as not all miltechs are equal. Highly skilled generals come from high army tradition, which warlike states are going to have. You can also check with the diplomatic overview what states have what attitudes towards you, as well as what provinces they want to take from you (if any).

Karnewarrior

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3160 on: October 24, 2019, 09:21:50 am »

Recent update seems to have borked the CKII transfer system, and no matter what I do the development of every province has become 1-1-1... so I spent some time going around the map giving a bunch of different tags big honking piles of mana.
Some of it seems to have gone into development but most of it seems to have gone to technologies. I guess all those little smol nations floating around from CKII are going to be the bigger provinces, since they're going to get to invest their mana in one place instead of just piling it in the capital or spreading it out uselessly thin.

A bit irritating for my Megacampaign, but I guess it won't break things too bad. Might go through in a few years and hand out more 9999 bursts of mana to certain tags. Hopefully encourage more dev investment.
Thou art I, I art Thou.
Ikusaba Quest! - Fistfighting space robots for the benefit of your familial bonds to Satan is passe, so you call Sherlock Holmes and ask her to pop by.

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3161 on: October 24, 2019, 09:57:44 am »

Where's the code bit that sets ai spending priority?  Might be worth it to find it . . .
PKs DF Mod!

Karnewarrior

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3162 on: October 24, 2019, 03:53:29 pm »

Well, in terms of that I already tried to modify the files to allow for more states (shock and awe, but owning ALL OF EUROPE makes corruption shoot through the goddamn roof, despite the fact that it was stable as hell through basically all of CKII), but I couldn't find a file which changing would change the internal maths of the game.
Thou art I, I art Thou.

Karnewarrior

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3163 on: October 27, 2019, 09:33:28 am »

So I solved the epic corruption problem by releasing Africa and the Middle East as vassals, and then maxing out my slider to root out corruption, at about 40 ducats per month. I'm now, as a continent-spanning empire with three end trade nodes 100% under my control, making a whopping 3 ducats per month, which is nice. China, who I'm in a personal union with, has exploded, but now that I can see them I'm preparing expeditionary forces to help them reconquer their old lands. Unfortunately, because Mongolia never exploded, gathering Mandate is basically impossible for them, as an event keeps stripping them of it due to the horde in the north.
Thou art I, I art Thou.

Urist McScoopbeard

• Bay Watcher
  • Damnit Scoopz!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3164 on: October 30, 2019, 05:23:57 pm »

Seems like the latest update destroyed modding for some reason. Can anyone access the workshop, download, or update mods?
This conversation is getting disturbing fast, disturbingly erotic.
Pages: 1 ... 209 210 [211] 212 213 ... 216