Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 211 212 [213] 214 215 216

Author Topic: Europa Universalis IV  (Read 447097 times)

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
Re: Europa Universalis IV
« Reply #3180 on: April 12, 2020, 09:13:28 pm »

One thing I love about EUiv is the unlimited potential to roleplay, really get inside an idea.

Spoiler: The schadenfreude (click to show/hide)
Ottobuddy is going to get whats coming to him, and I wont even use cheap human-player tactics to make it work.  The entire eastern-european and middle eastern world will crash upon him.

So I ran the georgian run again, but this time tried to restrict my actions more.  I made a more concise grab at power, and using my foreknowledge of the scenario made out ~okay~ from the mess of situation.  I actually bred 2 more problems for myself, and am happy how different this game has turned out to be.

- Spain is still spaining.  Nothing going to stop that freight train.  But it took them some time to get up to speed.  Aragon almost got the courage have +=50 liberty desire....
- Denmark utterly failed.
- Tunis is beating down the Mamies more than otto is.  Though no love is lost between the two.
- Ottoman is going up quite deep into poland, and venice actually holds the dalmatian area.
- Austria got a personal union with bohemia, allied me, we lost the religious league war, and then he got the emperor-ship back and has enacted 3 reforms by now.
- Persia should have been murdered by now, but I wanted to use them for at least one ottoman wrist-slap

And I tried to scutage nogai, but theyre not even good for that.  I just reset them back to regular vassal and told them to follow me.  Bodies to drown my foes in, or something.
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #3181 on: April 13, 2020, 03:48:40 am »

How on earth did you get such a blessed coalition?

Also blast from the past:
Spoiler: cursed coalition (click to show/hide)

Urist McScoopbeard

• Bay Watcher
  • Damnit Scoopz!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3182 on: April 13, 2020, 08:49:02 am »

The Syrian Serbs can unite even the staunchest of rivals  :)

It's beautiful!
This conversation is getting disturbing fast, disturbingly erotic.

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3183 on: April 13, 2020, 11:51:34 am »

In 2017, the world knew peace in jerusalem, until in 2022 Syria Conquered it.
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #3184 on: April 13, 2020, 12:21:11 pm »

Everything changed when the ophthalmology nation attacked

No one saw them coming

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3185 on: April 21, 2020, 08:00:28 pm »

So Ive been toying with Yarkland, a Tibetan or Tibetan-adjacent iqta that has crap development, stronger neighbors to the east, west, and south, and not much else except a single gold mine.  They start as a vassal to an equally crap Chagatai and get the mission to unify islam or create the horde states (conquer ming or conquer mongolia).

I can go two ways here, and both 'work'.  Take the hordelands after becoming a tribuite for ming works, and is pretty easy if unsatisfying.  Trying to ignore/prevent ming from being an influence and going west or south is much harder.  I develop my gold mine, ally to uzbek or ming, overthrow my overlord fine.  the issue is that ming's minors tend to ally rebellious tributes and get themselves vassaled so that ming demands to vassal me.

Is there another really interesting nation to play like yarkand, where Im really weak bvut poised to make a difference?  But without the ming staring down my back?  Because nothing takes the piss out of a run like ming being ming.  Nobody will attack me if Im under ming, and they dont take no as an answer.

P:  but, for the record, the run works okay until I hit india.  Once I take lahore or delhi it becomes a tangle of strong alliances and greedy timmy.  Ive quit twice at around 1530-1550, because the game starts to stall.

PP:  I play on 'hard' if it matters.  Vhard is ridiculous, and I hate when the ai needs massive bonuses to make up for their shortcomings.  Just make more interesting ai, then, instead of buffing them into the sky.
« Last Edit: April 21, 2020, 08:10:14 pm by pisskop »
PKs DF Mod!

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #3186 on: April 22, 2020, 11:06:29 am »

O I R A T   G A N G

Seriously, oirat gang is fucking wonderful. Reform the great mongol throat singing choir that stretches from sea to sea

ZeroGravitas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3187 on: April 22, 2020, 06:38:52 pm »

For some reason I just never "got" hordes. I feel like I'm pretty good at normal countries and can win wars where I'm relatively outnumbered through good maneuvering, but hordes never seem to work out for me.

Urist McScoopbeard

• Bay Watcher
  • Damnit Scoopz!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3188 on: April 22, 2020, 06:40:40 pm »

For some reason I just never "got" hordes. I feel like I'm pretty good at normal countries and can win wars where I'm relatively outnumbered through good maneuvering, but hordes never seem to work out for me.

As a super defensive tall player, I never do well w/ hordes lol
This conversation is getting disturbing fast, disturbingly erotic.

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3189 on: April 22, 2020, 07:56:34 pm »

Horde 101:

- Always be looting.  Dont loot what you keep,but you wont be keeping much.  Get rid of extra land.
- Tribuitaries.  The Tribuitaries are going to save you.  Money might be the weakest thing the tribuitaries can offer you. Manpower or monarch points are where you wanna go.
- Snake.  The land you want to keep is snakey land.  Wind your way into europe on a one-province-wide trail of tears.
- Vassals. It can be worth it to have a few ai scattered around to do some defending for you.  Everyone else who you snake around you make a tribuitary.  Especially since liberty desire isnt calculated for tribuitaries the same as actual vassals.
- Placate upitty tribuitaries with the manpower you swipe from other tribuitaries.

- You wont ever be king of tech or have the best economy.  Your strength is your hording.
- Raiding has deminishing returns the longer the game goes on. There's just better ways to make money and monarch points eventually.
- establish your power base early.  Subjugate people before you hit double digits tech.

Raid, Raze, always be looting.  You begin to take penalties for being at peace.  Horde unity isnt that scary until to drops super-low, but what is scary is how you start off as much. much more powerful than a kingdom of similar size and become much weaker than them as the game goes on.

Hording isnt just playing wide, even though it is.  Its about taking a strong military tradition (horde idea group is heavily focused on military might), the inability to generate extra monarch points while at peace (hordes dont get estates.  They get a singular, relatively useless estate), and the fact that you can use the threat of war to steal peoples monarch points/mapower/money or use actual war to rip it out of their lands.  Its a new kind of economy.
PKs DF Mod!

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #3190 on: April 22, 2020, 08:20:36 pm »

Also there's a real race against time, as the more fire pips start to appear the more your horde starts to lag behind in those crucial opening rounds of combat. If you've established a potently domineering grip on the Eurasian continent by then, then it doesn't really matter. If you are however facing down a rising Ottoblob/Russiablob, you are in trouble. When it comes to the shock phase you will still reign godly supreme on steppe/flat terrain, but surviving to reach that phase becomes worrisome

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #3191 on: April 23, 2020, 11:06:07 am »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
I make shitposts

Trolldefender99

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3192 on: April 23, 2020, 05:06:22 pm »

I enjoy playing Lithuania in MEIOU (with a bunch of submods) and giving the middle finger to all religion and staying with my pagan ways. While at the same time, playing semi-tall (which is vastly better in MEIOU than vanilla) and becoming a civilized pagan nation. The last pagans of europe, all while holding back the spacemarines that are nearby. One game had a bunch of sunni rebels invade to try to convert me, even though they werent even my rebels but white horde turned orthodox somehow, and so I beat the rebels back and declared war on white horde who became sunni again and forced them to be pagans too, they refused so I took them over and converted their provinces. They shouldn't have sent rebels at me, so I had to get them back for that.

Its my favorite nation in MEIOU, despite pretty much 0 flavor for them. Though I did change their stupid decentralized vassals to normal vassals. Decentralized vassals are a stupid BS mechanic that ruins any nation that has them. I found every decentralized vassal in the diplomacy history and changed them to normal vassals. Luckily not that many exist. Its the worst mechanic in EU4/MEIOU. Almost no one likes lithuania because of their stupid default vassal setup, so have to go in and fix it along with the few other nations that have. I guess its cheating, but whatever I give a big middle finger to that stupid mechanic. You can tell I really hate that mechanic lol.

rant aside from that dumb mechanic that really triggers me...

This is in regards to MEIOU, vanilla isn't very good for tall in comparison. Lithuania is a ton of fun really if you play it mostly tall. Its pretty easy to build up a strong capital (and have the best city in the world), with good provinces around it. I also like to keep Trakai has a march, since they share the same traditions and are closest allies to Lithuania and they make a powerful march to help defend that border. Besides that, sometimes Crimea pops up (quite often usually) and you can cut through them to get the black sea. That is the easiest target to get sea access because otherwise you start landlocked and the spacemarines are too scary to war against early on. Crimea sometimes never shows up though.

But honestly, out of all the "pagans", meaning not christian/muslim or any other major religion...lithuania is probably best to shun the religious world and stay as pagan. But it does have its challenges, much easier though than other non major religion nations. Like aztecs/incas start good, but the smallpox plagues kill them, which makes them have an easy beginning, godlike challenge mid-game and only recovers toward late game. Where as lithuania is okay early, and slowly gets better as they build up good cities. The hardest part is dealing with the spacemarines
« Last Edit: April 23, 2020, 05:24:15 pm by Trolldefender99 »

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #3193 on: April 23, 2020, 05:43:47 pm »

prussia must be delenda est

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
« Reply #3194 on: May 14, 2020, 03:41:56 pm »

Happy that EUIV is on sale.

Fuckin' apparently still $190 for all the DLC at half price.

I want to get this game because I've played CKII into the ground and I enjoyed what little of EUIII I played (I made Russia, after like 4 goes at dealing with the Golden Horde, then I was going to stop expanding East until Ming kept going "oi!" so... I just ended up messing around the Pacific for no reason) but why is it so god damn expensive.
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.
Pages: 1 ... 211 212 [213] 214 215 216