Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 214 215 [216]

Author Topic: Europa Universalis IV  (Read 445072 times)

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
  • And lo, the Dude did abide. And it was good.
    • View Profile
Re: Europa Universalis IV
« Reply #3225 on: April 21, 2022, 09:46:05 am »

I'll see how it evolves then. Even that 25% war score was enough to get 2.5k gold in reparations, so I shouldn't complain. Maybe it just takes a few tries before they fold.

e: ok, I think I get it. Any battles that are worse odds than about 1:1.5 in Ming's favour should be avoided, since above that losses accumulate too quickly to keep the cavalry stack in good combat readiness. Below that, combat concludes quickly enough to avoid dogpiling. And stack wipe is not uncommon, as a bonus.
« Last Edit: April 21, 2022, 12:03:04 pm by Il Palazzo »

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #3226 on: April 21, 2022, 12:21:28 pm »

No idea if EU4 battle system is close to EU2 as EU4 wasn't fun enough to me when i played the epic freebie (while i still enjoy EU2 a lot), but in EU2 battle morale had an extreme importance (along with some dice roll modifier changing every 5 days) .

It was then a good idea to not throw your army as a whole unit into an enemy, but instead split your army, and send each regiment as reinforcement into the battle with 4/5 days of delay for each, so they would reinforce the morale each time they arrive in your side while the enemy blob wasn't. 

This could allow you , of course providing you didn't got horrible luck in the dice rolls as the opposing army could have too strong dice modifier for the 5 days (and so you should have just retreated and attacked the next 5 days instead), to manage to repel stronger army blobs.

link :
https://europauniversalis.fandom.com/wiki/How_to_Win_Battles_in_Europa_Universalis_II

FantasticDorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3227 on: April 21, 2022, 01:34:47 pm »

It was then a good idea to not throw your army as a whole unit into an enemy, but instead split your army, and send each regiment as reinforcement into the battle with 4/5 days of delay for each, so they would reinforce the morale each time they arrive in your side while the enemy blob wasn't. 

High level professional MP players adhere to a similar stratgem to this since mechanically reinforcements in itty-bits is good in holding morale, but EU4 operates in a way that soldiers in your own "overstacked" army over army-width can't actually get onto a the field unless they come from another tile/generated ontop (like to sally out of a siege, or be boated into the battle), so eventually a "over stacked" army deathblob of 60 men will expend its 40 men width (also to the terrain being fought), and run if they weren't thoughly thrashed into non-existance or got stuck and self deleted.
  • One such way to skillfully win the 100 years war, constantly weave in and out of naval supremecy by changing unit type suggesting the likely defence/offence, and delivering reinforcements to coastal forts as france will over-commit blobs.
This is set aside of how efficiently your troops kill the current army opposing them, if they send too small reinforcements they'll lose morale faster than they put it in from retreating becoming inactive and multiple units (where cav shines, flank power bonus damage) squaring in a small column. A sort of criticism of this is that Western tech being so dominant usually means there are only a handful of meta-relevant nations in lobbies who can go toe to toe purely on basis of tech-group or else you literally have to meat-grinder/op strat them.
Pages: 1 ... 214 215 [216]