Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 216

Author Topic: Europa Universalis IV  (Read 447757 times)

Errol

• Bay Watcher
  • Heaven or Hell, Duel 1 -- Let's Rock!
    • View Profile
Re: Europa Universalis IV
« Reply #45 on: August 11, 2012, 09:43:38 am »

I want it to have the depth of combat of HoI3, the economy and population of vicky 2, and a trade system and colonization system of the gods.

Wait for DF 1.0.
Girls are currently preparing signature, please wait warmly until it is ready.

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: August 11, 2012, 09:54:51 am »

I want it to have the depth of combat of HoI3, the economy and population of vicky 2, and a trade system and colonization system of the gods.
You forgot the dynasty system of CKii.

Oliolli

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:unlikeability]
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: August 11, 2012, 10:55:49 am »

Wait for DF 1.0.

No, physical and chemical reactions being recorded live for the entire world down to the quantum level is not necessary.

Quote from: Girlinhat
When all you've got is an adjustable spanner and an entire freight warehouse of terrifying cogs and gears, everything looks like "just a prototype".
Quote from: ThatAussieGuy
You all turned Swordthunders into a bastion of madness that seems to warp in on itself under its own hatred of sanity.  I'm so happy!
Quote from: Loud Whispers
drowning babies everywhere o-o

snelg

• Bay Watcher
  • Hoary Marmot Extraordinaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: August 12, 2012, 06:09:13 am »

Will be interesting to see if It's stable enough on release while still able to compete with EU3 and all its expansions. They seem to keep saying they learned their lessons with hoi3 and lots of new features becoming a problem. But they really have to do something more than a slightly improved EU3 for this one I think.
When there's no more room in the fortress, the cats will walk the earth.
Cancels writing: Interrupted by Hoary Marmot.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: August 12, 2012, 06:12:21 am »

Wait for DF 1.0.
No, physical and chemical reactions being recorded live for the entire world down to the quantum level is not necessary.
I'm wondering if it is even possible to simulate quantum mechanics in a video game, or in a computer in general.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Xeron

• Bay Watcher
  • Kill your family
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: August 12, 2012, 07:59:27 am »

I'm wondering if it is even possible to simulate quantum mechanics in a video game, or in a computer in general.
[/quote]
Challenge accepted

Ah, the spoils of pasting one self's face onto women's bodies...

ibot66

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: August 12, 2012, 12:44:13 pm »

However it ends, the bugs will be Hilarious.
Imagine starting up a world in DF only for the entire thing to explode.

inteuniso

• Bay Watcher
  • Functionalized carbon is the source.
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: August 12, 2012, 03:20:19 pm »

Just read the destructoid article on Paradox, which included some insight into EUIV.

Some interesting quotes:
Quote from: Destructoid Article
Trade ceases to be a merchant placement mini-game, and looks set to become far more connected to conquest, colonization, exploration, and diplomacy. No longer do you have to conquer entire countries to get a gold mine in a specific province, you can use your fleet and strategic bases to control the flow of trade on your own terms.

Johan clarifies how this will work. "So what we are trying to do is that in EU is you have the administrative, diplomatic, and military ability. So we’re making it so that each of these gives you points, then you use this points to do certain things. So if you have a really good monarch you get lots of points every month, these points are used for buying ideas, increasing your technology, making a province into a core, assaulting a fortress, and making a leader"

They are improving their matchmaking system, adding a chat that, in Johan's words, "wasn't designed in the 80s", and stand alone servers running off players' PCs which allow for saving the game and jumping in whenever you feel like it.
Lol scratch that I'm building a marijuana factory.

Johnfalcon99977

• Bay Watcher
  • The Herp Derp Assassin
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: August 13, 2012, 03:10:48 pm »

All of my yes, this has it.

EU III was one of my most favorite games ever, and I can't wait for the next one!
Also known as the Knowlagable, the Forgetful, and/or the Ignored

Please excuse my horrible awful linguistic skills.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: August 14, 2012, 09:45:30 am »

You forgot the dynasty system of CKii.
I'm eager to know more about how they're incorporating more "personality" to rulers. Honestly, I'd love to see something where your ministers and generals/admirals can be potential threats to power. Maybe they all have individual popularity and loyalty ratings, and in periods of severe unstability (-2 or -3 stab) they could support pretenders to the throne (or become pretenders themselves).

I'd love to see a system that could result in a Belisarius-type scenario, where you maybe don't send your most effective general to stop that invading army, because you're afraid the people will love him more than they do you. Maybe in conjunction with some kind of faction system like China in DW, but more dynamic. That could then evolve into political parties in Victoria.

Granted, that would be virtually a game's worth of dev work in itself.

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: August 14, 2012, 10:52:57 am »

I predict a very disappointed RedKing.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: August 14, 2012, 11:28:40 am »

Not really. Like I said, that's what I'd love to see, not what I expect. If anything, I'm expecting your ruler to have some traits which will give bonuses/penalties in diplomacy, not much else. Maybe some other production/trade/war/research modifiers too, beyond just the raw bonuses for skill level.

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

snelg

• Bay Watcher
  • Hoary Marmot Extraordinaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: August 14, 2012, 12:10:21 pm »

Here's the "main features" according to an announcement on the forums.

• Make your own decisions: Nation building is completely flexible
  • Use your Monarch Power: In this new system, a leader's traits will direct the ebb and flow of gameplay
  • Experience history coming to life: The great personalities of the past are on hand to support you as you make your mark on thousands of historical events
  • Turn the world into your playground: Enjoy over 300 years of gameplay in a lush topographical map in full 3D
  • Gain control of vital trade routes and make the wealth of the world flow to your coffers in the all-new trade system
  • Bring out your negotiating skills in a deeper diplomatic system
  • Go online and battle against your friends in an all-new multiplayer game mode that features hot-join, improved chatting, a new matchmaking server, and support for a standalone server
  • Create your own history and customize your game: Europa Universalis IV gives you the chance to customize and mod practically anything your heart may desire
And here's the link if someone's interested:
http://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/content.php?1044-Gamescom-2012-Europa-Universalis-IV-Officially-Announced-trailer-screens

Use your Monarch Power: In this new system, a leader's traits will direct the ebb and flow of gameplay
I'm interested to see if this will be something along the lines of what they did with Ming factions in DW (I hope not).
The random kings were always a pain in the ass when trying to westernize (seldom having high enough stats) so I hope it won't be something like that either.
But it needs to have a pretty strong effect to control how people play the game. Still, I don't really feel like doing nothing a lot of the time because options are out of the question thanks to the current monarch (especially since they tended to live long when you didn't want them to).
Based on EU3, perhaps the new one will add a lot of new things to do.
When there's no more room in the fortress, the cats will walk the earth.
Cancels writing: Interrupted by Hoary Marmot.

Domenique

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: August 14, 2012, 12:15:32 pm »

Redking, they usually make GS games that focus on a certain thing mostly, the rest is simplified. Like CK II was about managing a dynasty, so economy and warfare was made very simple, this will go on to Europa Universalis. It's hard to play an RTS GS with so many stuff to keep up if, since you might forget something, press space and BAM, your ruler has forgotten to put on his clothes for a ceremony, your daughter is pregnant with a bastard child, the mongols are pissing on your lawn and the rat infestation has eaten your barley and caused peasants and artists to starve to death.

Johnfalcon99977

• Bay Watcher
  • The Herp Derp Assassin
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: August 14, 2012, 07:43:07 pm »

Also known as the Knowlagable, the Forgetful, and/or the Ignored

Please excuse my horrible awful linguistic skills.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 216