Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 36 37 [38] 39 40 ... 216

Author Topic: Europa Universalis IV  (Read 452818 times)

Andrew425

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Europa Universalis IV
« Reply #555 on: August 21, 2013, 09:29:29 pm »

I almost always go quality as my first idea choice. It uses up military points and it gives me a solid bonus in every fight. When its maxed out all your units do 25% more damage. Hard to beat for a nation that goes on land and sea.
May the mass times acceleration be with you

Wiles

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #556 on: August 22, 2013, 07:27:48 am »

I prefer offensive, not that quality isn't good,  but getting forced march before your neighbours is amazing.

Drakale

• Bay Watcher
  • I will get my revenge~
    • View Profile
« Reply #557 on: August 22, 2013, 12:33:07 pm »

The way I see it Quality is always good, while offensive will be better for smaller nations and defensive awesome for the big ones. That max defensive 1 unblockable attrition is extremely valuable if you have huge territories as you will slowly deplete your opponent manpower while you keep your own stacks safe and then strike them down as they are overextended.

Tobel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Tobel Plays Youtube
« Reply #558 on: August 22, 2013, 12:43:14 pm »

I prefer offensive, not that quality isn't good,  but getting forced march before your neighbours is amazing.

When I played recently with Brandenburg I saw the usefulness of this since I'm ALWAYS chasing armies to their retreat points.

Catastrophic lolcats

• Bay Watcher
  • [FORTRESSDESTROYER:2]
    • View Profile
« Reply #559 on: August 22, 2013, 12:46:46 pm »

I'm rather found of Plutocracy (as a republic) for a first military idea. You'll be trading off a lot military power but the net increase in leader points from the tech discount should help to speed ahead and overcome some of the bad event spam. The bonus economy stuff should help you stay afloat if a country with other military ideas come knocking.
If you're not a republic then the choices are between offensive and defensive. The size of your country should really dictate what choice to go with first. Offensive for small to mid size countries so you can get forced march and start expanding. Defensive as a large country can brutalise invaders and the leader siege and minus attrition will allow you to still push an offensive game. There can be a case made for quality if you plan to be very naval focus.

Apparently (according to the forums) there are some really nasty events if you pick conflicting ideas like offensive and defensives.

BlindKitty

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #560 on: August 22, 2013, 03:08:19 pm »

Well, since there are apparently enough people who have come up with idea of creating new ideas (this never gets old), I think I will pass on the opportunity to do the same. Got enough on my mind right now, and I think it's better to specialize than overextend. In real life, of course, not in EU IV. :P Fighting coalitions got tiring, by the way, and I'm back to CK 2 creating the biggest, meanest reformed Paganism possible. :D
My little roguelike craft-centered game thread. Check it out.

GENERATION 10: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
  • Kind of back, but for how long?!
    • View Profile
« Reply #561 on: August 22, 2013, 03:43:02 pm »

1.1.2 hotfix is out.

- Filter on tags now works
- Fixed issues with joining/inviting friends from friends list
- Server requests password if it ain't provided
- Fixed dedicated server not displaying the correct version
- Fixed sorting on server names
- Improved joining server status message
- Keep server browser scrollbar position when adding new servers to the lis
- Fixed a better oos-message. The client now gets an error-code so we can know what it was that went oos. (revision 8323)
- Supply, demand, total_produced, num_supply_provinces and num_demand_provinces for tradegoods are now saved in savegame (fixes hotjoin OOS).
- Fixed pause-bug on standalone server.
- Added better information for the client during hotjoin-request.
- Connection popup no longer in front of password popup
- You no longer get password rejected message when getting an invite to a password protected game
- No longer possible to filter on empty tag, either all servers or some tags
- If you search for a tag, steam will now return a global search enableing any player to find any game if his searching for the tag
Quote from: Phantom
Unknown to most but the insane and the mystics, Tarran is actually Earth itself, as Earth is sentient like that planet in Avatar. Originally Earth used names such as Terra on the internet, but to protect it's identity it changed letters, now becoming the Tarran you know today.
Quote from: Ze Spy
Tarran has the "Tarran Bug", a bug which causes the affected character to repeatedly hit teammates while dual-wielding instead of whatever the hell he is shooting at.

Catastrophic lolcats

• Bay Watcher
  • [FORTRESSDESTROYER:2]
    • View Profile
« Reply #562 on: August 23, 2013, 02:13:55 am »

Suprised they haven't fixed the exploit where you can can select another country in ironman mode by spamming the "random nation" button.

Digital Hellhound

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #563 on: August 23, 2013, 12:36:17 pm »

What is it with these coalition mechanics? So you, the starter of this war, decide to peace out by giving away a shitton of my territory ('return core to ___') because you're feeling a bit worried about your chances even though everyone else is well still in the fight. I had zero occupied or sieged provinces and was in fact on the offensive - we had plenty of occupied provinces, even, but the wargoal was ticking it down. I didn't even realize until several years later that I'd lost around eight provinces.

The AI is terrible with cooperation in general. Sure, you can siege a lot with 3k stacks on every single province, but if you combined them and not let them be picked off piecemeal you'd notice you have triple the enemy's numbers. If the enemy has doomstacks on the field, the AI should not divide its forces.

It's kinda weird that the AI doesn't seem interested in taking on the Native American nations. They haven't had a single war - Central America is still dominated by Aztec, Inca is still in its original borders, etc etc while all of the unclaimed area is colonized.
Russia is simply taking an anti-Fascist stance against European Nazi products, they should be applauded. ¡No parmesan!

Wiles

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #564 on: August 23, 2013, 01:46:04 pm »

I haven't fought in a coalition war so I may be mistaken, but can you untick the option that lets the ai negotiate territory for you like you can in regular wars? (It's in the war information screen at the top right). I was shocked the first time I had the AI negotiate away my territory. Never again!

Rakonas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #565 on: August 23, 2013, 01:46:55 pm »

Nope, you can't. Yet sometimes in coalition wars the AI has it unticked. Shit's bugged.

Mictlantecuhtli

• Bay Watcher
  • Grinning God of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #566 on: August 23, 2013, 02:08:29 pm »

Anyone using mods yet? I've got a few I'm toying around with and enjoy, along with my own custom changes. Particularly idea ones. Trade routes too, those severely needed work to keep it from being 'blob all trade to x and collect' traderush. There's now a few that add entirely new nodes and make the routes more complex that I cannot recommend enough, gets rid of the All-Roads-Lead-To-Antwerp mindset the vanilla trade system brings.
I am surrounded by flesh and bone, I am a temple of living. Maybe I'll maybe my life away.

Santorum leaves a bad taste in my mouth,
Card-carrying Liberaltarian

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
  • I vibrate, I die, I vibrate again
    • View Profile
« Reply #567 on: August 23, 2013, 02:16:27 pm »

After complaining about coalitions I might as well offer my thoughts on how to fix them.

Spoiler: kinda long (click to show/hide)
"T-take this non-euclidean geometry, h-humanity-baka. I m-made it, but not because I l-li-l-like you or anything! I just felt s-sorry for you, b-baka."
You misspelled seance.  Are possessing Draignean?  Are you actually a ghost in the shell? You have to tell us if you are, that's the rule

WealthyRadish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #568 on: August 23, 2013, 02:40:54 pm »

Out of curiosity, how does the performance/optimization compare to EU3? Things were a bit choppy on my crappy system... anyone try it on, say, a laptop? I could always wait for performance mods, just wondering if they went overboard on having DA BEST GRAFIX. A 2D strategic mode or the like would be perfect.

Rakonas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #569 on: August 23, 2013, 03:18:09 pm »

I have a laptop that plays EU3 fine and it works fine. No lag or anything. about 2 years old.
Pages: 1 ... 36 37 [38] 39 40 ... 216