Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 216

Author Topic: Europa Universalis IV  (Read 447177 times)

Urist McScoopbeard

• Bay Watcher
  • Damnit Scoopz!
    • View Profile
Re: Europa Universalis IV
« Reply #60 on: August 14, 2012, 08:57:08 pm »

All this game needs is some form of tactical combat and it would literally by the perfect strat game imo.

Anyways Im excited that the multiplayer might actually be stable now!
This conversation is getting disturbing fast, disturbingly erotic.

Johnfalcon99977

• Bay Watcher
  • The Herp Derp Assassin
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: August 14, 2012, 09:20:41 pm »

...and it would literally be the perfect strat game imo...

That the problem with your statement. Europa Universalis is not a game about war, its a game about managing a nation. Conquest is purely optional, and some people like me only pursue it to an extent.

Edit: Why do I have this gut feeling that they are going to sell a CK2-EU4 converter as DLC? It may just be my cynical side taking over, but it would only make so much sense.
« Last Edit: August 14, 2012, 09:22:34 pm by Johnfalcon99977 »
Also known as the Knowlagable, the Forgetful, and/or the Ignored

Please excuse my horrible awful linguistic skills.

inteuniso

• Bay Watcher
  • Functionalized carbon is the source.
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: August 14, 2012, 09:30:24 pm »

Agreed. I believe that while combat is a very fun part of the game, it shouldn't be a requirement. You can  play as switzerland, after all.
Lol scratch that I'm building a marijuana factory.

Urist McScoopbeard

• Bay Watcher
  • Damnit Scoopz!
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: August 14, 2012, 10:13:45 pm »

combat shouldnt be necessary but historically war and conquest factored heavily into nation management, it's a very large part of history you can't just ignore it, and if you want the option to fight your own battles you should be able to.

sidenote, I believe somewhere in the topic where it lists the features it says there will NOT be a ck2-eu4 converter because it's difficult

Karlito

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: August 14, 2012, 10:24:13 pm »

If they did go through the trouble of developing a save converter that worked well I'd expect them to charge money for it.
This sentence contains exactly threee erors.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: August 14, 2012, 10:36:17 pm »

It wouldn't do them much good anyway. Haven't most of the save converters been made by fans so far?

You know what I'd like in EU IV? An event chain that fires if it looks like you're going the World Conquest route and make things far more difficult for you. It always annoyed me that the people of the world would just stand by and wait while a huge empire ate up the world province by province. If that happened there would be a clear panic and reaction amongst the remaining autonomous states against the conqueror. Infamy just does not stop players, and there have been WCs done without even breaking the infamy limit anyway. PrawnStar is doing one for England right now, even.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Karlito

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: August 14, 2012, 10:41:31 pm »

Isn't that basically the whole idea of coalitions? Everyone else could join in an alliance specifically to defend against your world eating empire.
This sentence contains exactly threee erors.

sambojin

• Bay Watcher
  • Three seconds to catsplosion and counting.......
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: August 15, 2012, 01:11:38 am »

Depending on just how much effect the various monarch's attributes have on your ability to manage your empire, I wonder if they'll put in a regicidal option. It might be worth self-assassinating and starting rebellions and revolutions against your own ruler if it looks like they'll be a long-lived no-hoper. You'd have to take a stability hit, but it might be worthwhile. You are the god, the shadow government and the power behind the throne after all.

Maybe even some achievements based on how many of your own rulers you've offed over the course of history :)
It's a game. Have fun.

Trollheiming

• Bay Watcher
  • I do. I really do.
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: August 15, 2012, 04:38:35 am »

combat shouldnt be necessary but historically war and conquest factored heavily into nation management, it's a very large part of history you can't just ignore it, and if you want the option to fight your own battles you should be able to.

sidenote, I believe somewhere in the topic where it lists the features it says there will NOT be a ck2-eu4 converter because it's difficult

War is a continuation of politics, not the other way around. Dropping down to a tactical battle would just break the flow of the game, which is not turn-based like TW. War is actually quite inconsequential compared to larger trends such as overpopulation, resource needs, and cultural ideas that spawn wars. EU reflects that perfectly.
« Last Edit: August 15, 2012, 04:40:09 am by Trollheiming »

Rakonas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: August 15, 2012, 06:07:17 am »

War is a continuation of politics, not the other way around. Dropping down to a tactical battle would just break the flow of the game, which is not turn-based like TW. War is actually quite inconsequential compared to larger trends such as overpopulation, resource needs, and cultural ideas that spawn wars. EU reflects that perfectly.
Not to mention how having tactical battles as an option is a terrible idea. I don't want to have to struggle with the problem of getting tired of tactical battles and auto-resolve not being as reliable as actually managing the armies. War in EU3 is logistics, there's a reason that you appoint generals to armies, because you're not a general.

Cheese

• Bay Watcher
  • 99% Dairy
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: August 15, 2012, 06:24:09 am »

It wouldn't do them much good anyway. Haven't most of the save converters been made by fans so far?

You know what I'd like in EU IV? An event chain that fires if it looks like you're going the World Conquest route and make things far more difficult for you. It always annoyed me that the people of the world would just stand by and wait while a huge empire ate up the world province by province. If that happened there would be a clear panic and reaction amongst the remaining autonomous states against the conqueror. Infamy just does not stop players, and there have been WCs done without even breaking the infamy limit anyway. PrawnStar is doing one for England right now, even.

I agree with this. I think CK2 had a nice system for avoiding world conquest; simply being unable to declare war without a cb. EUIV is obviously a different setting from CK2 and should have different mechanics but hopefully there'll be a more effective system than infamy. Coalitions trying to stop you (if they work like that) and ruler (in)competence breaking apart your realm sounds like a good combination though.

Johnfalcon99977

• Bay Watcher
  • The Herp Derp Assassin
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: August 15, 2012, 07:14:35 am »

Counternote: The exact quote is that they have no plans ATM to do a converter. Its still possible for post release.

I agree completely. Politics and situations spawn wars, not the other way around.
« Last Edit: August 15, 2012, 07:17:26 am by Johnfalcon99977 »
Also known as the Knowlagable, the Forgetful, and/or the Ignored

Please excuse my horrible awful linguistic skills.

Urist McScoopbeard

• Bay Watcher
  • Damnit Scoopz!
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: August 15, 2012, 08:05:42 am »

Conquest is the sustenance off which a nation feeds to become powerful, spain + portugal & the conquest of the americas, france & the napoleonic wars, etc. etc.

War is inevitable, unavoidable, you will always have something someone wants and someone else will always have something that you wan't. War is not always the final resort.

Silent_Thunder

• Bay Watcher
  • World Heavyweight Champion
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: August 15, 2012, 08:10:27 am »

The main problem with tactical combat is, like in TW, it easily lends itself to snowballing. Paradox does many things well, but it's AI has often done rather dumb things. If they were to have tactical combat, it would not be long before you found a way to game the tactical battles, turning damn near ever 1:3 battle into a crushing victory, leading to the player having nothing but constant victory, in a game where you should be feeling the pressure at all times from neighbors.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: August 15, 2012, 09:43:04 am »

Bingo. And now it's become a vicious cycle: Paradox doesn't bother building converters because it takes time away from working on game content, and because they know the user community will hack one out eventually. So then the games get released sans converters, and because a signficant portion of the user community is clamoring for a converter, some team of incredibly hoopy froods will hammer one out (frequently including mod support and lots of user-configurable options).

Oddly enough, even as the games get more complicated, the converters seem to get better and better. It took a while but the EU3->Vic2 converter is a solid piece of work, much less buggy than the EU2->Vic:Rev one or the CK:DV->EU3 one. To their credit, Paradox has always been good about giving information to mod teams to simplify the work they have to do. I think that good relationship with the mod community is a big part of Paradox's success for what would otherwise be a relatively niche market. I just don't see an EA or Bioware or Blizzard providing their users with that kind of discussion with the programmers and support for tweaking the game.

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 216