Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 216

Author Topic: Europa Universalis IV  (Read 445114 times)

inteuniso

• Bay Watcher
  • Functionalized carbon is the source.
    • View Profile
Europa Universalis IV
« on: August 10, 2012, 09:23:27 am »

Paradox Interactive just announced it on their livestream. Going to be in the clausewitz 2.5 engine (CK2, Sengoku) and apparently all of the stuff important in EU3 will be important in EU4 (painting the world your color, trade, conquering, diplomacy, etc.)

They're also hinting at a melding of the features of different games, such as making characters more important, as people can identify with individual characters.

EDIT: A full list of EU IV features, link given by Johnfalcon99977
« Last Edit: August 16, 2012, 11:39:03 pm by inteuniso »
Lol scratch that I'm building a marijuana factory.

Catastrophic lolcats

• Bay Watcher
  • [FORTRESSDESTROYER:2]
    • View Profile
Re: Europa Universalis IV
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2012, 09:28:39 am »

Interesting.
EU3 was the game that got me really into Grand Strategy games but I found after playing other Paradox titles like Victoria II and Crusader Kings II that Eruopa suffered a bit from being a bastard and a jack of all trades. It was mainly the lack of any meaningful diplomacy or trading which meant that between wars there wasn't all that much to do. I guess I would like to see more "population management" in Europa like Victoria II had, it makes sense to me with Europa being focused on colonial land grabbing and empire building.

I doubt this will be but a day one purchase for me. Might be interesting to see how they handle the expansions and whether they'll go the CKII route.
EDIT:
They're also hinting at a melding of the features of different games, such as making characters more important, as people can identify with individual characters.
Could we be seeing a return of some of the EU:Rome features? I know that game was a mess but it did have some interesting little mechanics here and there. I enjoyed playing as the Gauls a little too much.
Double Edit: http://kotaku.com/europa-universalis-iv/ (sorry for Kotaku :< )
http://www.strategyinformer.com/news/19367/paradox-reveals-europa-universalis-iv-for-q3-2013
« Last Edit: August 10, 2012, 10:00:38 am by Catastrophic lolcats »

Karlito

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2012, 09:33:31 am »

I declare this thread to be the winner by 42 seconds.
This sentence contains exactly threee erors.

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2012, 09:40:42 am »

:D

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2012, 09:48:18 am »

Well, they'd better...oh, who am I kidding? Just take my fucking money.  :D

It's Paradox. It'll probably be less than optimal at launch, and eventually (after several DLC packs and updates) be digital crack.

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

inteuniso

• Bay Watcher
  • Functionalized carbon is the source.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2012, 09:50:49 am »

This thread has won in the glorious battle!

Anyways, they claim it will have "more historical characters than ever before." I'm thinking that they're going to do a power rangers-esque melding of their games to create the greatest grand-strategy that ever was.

EDIT: RedKing, refer to CKII. As part of their beta, it was more polished than any of their games at release. It had bugs, but they certainly weren't gamebreaking. If they follow a similar dev-cycle, it should be optimal, and fun.
Lol scratch that I'm building a marijuana factory.

Toady Two

• Bay Watcher
  • [CAN_SCIENCE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2012, 09:53:55 am »

Paradox is evolving their development process. CK2 was pretty great at launch and now its getting even better with every update.

This news really cheers me up after the recent cancellation of the standalone Magna Mundi game. It just means I'll have more time to play CK2 and mods before a worthy successor to EU3 is published.

Catastrophic lolcats

• Bay Watcher
  • [FORTRESSDESTROYER:2]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 10, 2012, 09:54:56 am »

Anyways, they claim it will have "more historical characters than ever before." I'm thinking that they're going to do a power rangers-esque melding of their games to create the greatest grand-strategy that ever was.
I don't think that's going to be the case. I think Paradox knows that doing something like might be development suicide. You have to balance everything and make sure it's all historical accurate. On top of that you have to make it accessible and easy enough to manage. Trying to keep track of a near endless amount of mechanics and having to pause every few days to prevent your kingdom to collapse would only appeal to a very select group of players. Adding small mechanics from their other titles is quite possible though.

I believe this is why Paradox often have heavily "themed" games that expand on a particular part of national focus while simplifying and generalising the rest. You can see this very clearly in Crusader Kings II with the lack of economy and  trading.

Cheese

• Bay Watcher
  • 99% Dairy
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 10, 2012, 09:55:41 am »

The paradox stream. The video of the announcement should pop up at some point.

I'm hoping for more intricate combat, but I doubt there will be. Hopefully the new badboy system will be better at restricting excessive conquest.

Digital Hellhound

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 10, 2012, 10:10:42 am »

Yesssss. And yesss on greater focus on characters and a hopeful yes on more complex combat.
Russia is simply taking an anti-Fascist stance against European Nazi products, they should be applauded. ¡No parmesan!

lastverb

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 10, 2012, 10:16:03 am »

I really wish they put more effort in fixing some older ones, like Victoria 2.

Azkanan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 10, 2012, 10:22:49 am »

Damn! I just ran over here, stumbling over gateway errors to post this.

*shakes fist at Inte*
A pool of Dwarven Ale.
WHO IS RESPONSIBLE FOR THIS ?

Cheese

• Bay Watcher
  • 99% Dairy
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 10, 2012, 10:35:04 am »

Damn! I just ran over here, stumbling over gateway errors to post this.

*shakes fist at Inte*
Would you join me in a plot to remove Int from power?

Article about EUIV with screenshots and some tidbits of information: http://kotaku.com/europa-universalis-iv/

Edit: More articles for the article god! This time some more info and the announcement trailer. Strategy informer article Announcement trailer
« Last Edit: August 10, 2012, 10:38:52 am by Cheese »

Digital Hellhound

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 10, 2012, 10:42:45 am »

I am immensely distracted by CK2 music playing in the announcement trailer. Durr.

Also, just 'over 300 years'? Damn, we've gotta wait for expansions to get the EU3 time range, then.
Russia is simply taking an anti-Fascist stance against European Nazi products, they should be applauded. ¡No parmesan!

Cheese

• Bay Watcher
  • 99% Dairy
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 10, 2012, 10:43:58 am »

Huh? It's EU3 music.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 216