Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 22 23 [24] 25 26 ... 216

Author Topic: Europa Universalis IV  (Read 449726 times)

stabbymcstabstab

• Bay Watcher
  • OW SNAP!
    • View Profile
Re: Europa Universalis IV
« Reply #345 on: August 14, 2013, 06:54:27 pm »

I hate rebels and coalitions so much, My CK2 empire was so massive and I had more trouble with rebels in Ireland where I started then my African holdings or Mongol eastern Europe. Now I can't invade any one due to being so freaking large rebels pop up in groups of twenty thousand or more.
Long Live Arst- United Forenia!
"Wanna be a better liberal? Go get shot in the fuckin' face."
Contemplate why we have a sociopathic necrophiliac RAPIST sadomasochist bipolar monster in our ranks, also find some cheese.

inteuniso

• Bay Watcher
  • Functionalized carbon is the source.
    • View Profile
« Reply #346 on: August 14, 2013, 07:17:08 pm »

Increase stability as quickly as you can. You'll be able to recover your tech loss by being able to higher skill 3 advisors with your incredible cashflow.

Your forcelimit should be high enough that you can hire enough troops to keep down any rebels too, even if you have to hire mercs. Once you can get past the initial difficulties, you should be fine.
Lol scratch that I'm building a marijuana factory.

stabbymcstabstab

• Bay Watcher
  • OW SNAP!
    • View Profile
« Reply #347 on: August 14, 2013, 08:50:26 pm »

I took care of the rebels, its just so boring Civilize some Africans or Mongols and every one hates you and rebels are forming every where.
Long Live Arst- United Forenia!
"Wanna be a better liberal? Go get shot in the fuckin' face."
Contemplate why we have a sociopathic necrophiliac RAPIST sadomasochist bipolar monster in our ranks, also find some cheese.

hexedmagica

• Bay Watcher
  • This headless lover of three
    • View Profile
« Reply #348 on: August 14, 2013, 09:06:33 pm »

Is it just me or does it feel a lot quicker to expand in this compared to EU3?
They started to collide~

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
  • I vibrate, I die, I vibrate again
    • View Profile
« Reply #349 on: August 14, 2013, 09:54:14 pm »

It feels the same or a little less to me.  The same general limits on expansion are there, but now taking provinces costs diplomatic power, getting cores and raising stability costs administrative power, and all that comes out of your tech growth.

The only real difference is that now you can choose to get conquest missions instead of being burdened by some crappy mission you're forced to cancel.  But on the flip side before you could just bite the bullet and accept -2 stability, whereas now I don't generally consider the cost of that to be worth it.  Also conquest CB was -50% infamy for taking cored provinces, now its -25% whatever they're calling infamy now.  (yeah yeah, aggressive expansion penalty, its still pretty much just infamy).
"T-take this non-euclidean geometry, h-humanity-baka. I m-made it, but not because I l-li-l-like you or anything! I just felt s-sorry for you, b-baka."
You misspelled seance.  Are possessing Draignean?  Are you actually a ghost in the shell? You have to tell us if you are, that's the rule

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
  • Kind of back, but for how long?!
    • View Profile
« Reply #350 on: August 14, 2013, 10:22:22 pm »

Yes and no. On one hand, with the claim generation it is now far easier for small nations to go somewhere. On the other hand with Overextention, Collations, and so on, it is harder to expand massive tracts of territory at once.
Quote from: Phantom
Unknown to most but the insane and the mystics, Tarran is actually Earth itself, as Earth is sentient like that planet in Avatar. Originally Earth used names such as Terra on the internet, but to protect it's identity it changed letters, now becoming the Tarran you know today.
Quote from: Ze Spy
Tarran has the "Tarran Bug", a bug which causes the affected character to repeatedly hit teammates while dual-wielding instead of whatever the hell he is shooting at.

Chaoswizkid

• Bay Watcher
  • Bring on the Chaos
    • View Profile
    • Realms of Kar'Kaish New Site
« Reply #351 on: August 14, 2013, 11:22:20 pm »

Started first game of EUIV.

Colonial Japan!

Oh, this is kind of neat, everyone is vassals.

YOU CAN DIPLO-ANNEX VASSALS WITH GOOD RELATIONS? This is AMAZING!

Oh, it takes forever. Oh well. Trying to get into some colonial action, but I keep taking event stability hits and that just eats away my Admin powers. Thinking I should have started as one of the vassals instead of Japan, since apparently they have higher tech levels at the beginning of the game. That'll be a test for next time.

Legitimacy hit for diplo-annexing vassals? Oh... okay? Whatever.

Oh god, my legitimacy is ultra low and I'm not liking it dipping that far down. Luckily I have craptons of gold from not having to fight any wars. Unfortunately, Nippon is like the least interesting/worst trade route ever. It's fed by a trade node that's way off in the East, probably with the Americas, and there's not that much gold going through it (I think?). It also has one out path. Lame.

YEAH, EXPLORATION! COLONIES! OH GOD, MING, WHAT ARE YOU DOING. WHY DOES ZHOU AND SHU AND THE ORIAT OWN SO MUCH OF YOU? MANCHU, WHAT THE HELL? ORIAT VASSAL WITH TWO PROVINCES AND KOREA IS GIANT! I don't like any of this! MING STOP DYING! Crap, crap! Gotta figure out how to make an alliance to stop having two giant superpowers right next door! By this time in EU3 I owned Korea, come on! How was I even distracted long enough for this to happen!?

Alright! Taiwan is colonized, and now I can pull in trade from China! Can't do anything else useful with it, but it's a little more income! An actual job for my second merchant, hurra- ZHOU. ZHOU STOP THAT. STOP TRYING TO MAKE A CLAIM. ZHOU, NO. STOP ZHOU. WHY YOU DO THIS. No seriously is all you're doing trying to force claims? I stopped you like 20 times in a month already. Well, except for that just then. Damnit.

UNITE JAPAN! YEAH! Wait nothing happened. What the hell? Ohhh, it's the other event I need for it to do something other than change government. Damn. *savescum*

Heeeeeeeeeeeeey. Ming. I see you barely holding on over there. I made a rival out of Korea, so now my own relations are high enough to Alliance with you. Sooo... wanna Alliance? Alright! Sweet. Now, let's hope that intimi- oh god seriously?

IT'S OKAY MING, I GOT YOU. I SEE YOU HAVE LIKE 4 PROVINCES OCCUPIED, BUT I OWN LIKE 5 OF KOREA'S, WRECKED ITS NAVY AND WE HAVE POSITIVE WARSCORE. JUST HOLD O- ...  or... you know... just hand them a couple provinces. That's fine. Whatever.

Okay, ruler died, got 100 legit, vassals not freaking out about getting annexed so I can start on a couple more, I colonized The Land of the Gods and working on the Kurils and that little peninsula of Siberia. Damn, this is kind of late in the timeline. Maybe I didn't own tons of stuff by this time in EU3 like I thought. At least colonization is way less painful and the vassals thing is super cool. Wonder why they changed the Divine Wind setup. I didn't see it at all throughout the timeline when I checked all the historical starts.

ANOTHER WAR AGAINST MING!? I'm not prepared to fight Korea AND Zhou right now! Wait... wait... YES! THEIR ALLIANCE DISSOLVED! Just me and you, Korea. Just me and you. Well, Ming's there, but-  WHY THE HELL AM I THE JUNIOR PARTNER TO MING? MING HAS LIKE 1000 TROOPS AND FOUR BOATS. This is dumb. Whatever, at least I broke up that alliance. Let me just eat Korea's navy, blockade all of its ports, take it's homeland... or not. At least I got my troops out. To the eastern Korean coast! Why the hell is 15k troops wreaking my 27k stack? I mean, I win every time but it's Pyrrhic all day, every day. Shit, actually lost a couple. At least I like the ping-ponging WAY MORE than in the other EU games. And stacks can actually die, you don't need to hound them for a year until you kill the last 400 trying to hold on. Lost my little 3k stack, but it set up a victory over their 15k with my depleted 27k now at 18k, so that's okay. Hey, Ming, could you... you know... do anything useful? I own a handful of Korean provinces, they literally have a handful of boats at individual ports, they're down to a 13k stack and this 5k I'm chasing around... but I can't do peace. Because I formed a coalition trying to help with the whole Korean superpower going on. And now I'm waiting for you to force peace. Also, this is for "Show Superiority". Did you start this war, Ming? I can't find out where to check. If you did, I hate you, because I'm not getting anything out of this other than 0 Manpower and setting Korea back some. What if Zhou tries to attack you right now, Ming? I have nothing to help you with. JUST DO THE PEACE, MING. DAMNIT, MING, DO THE PEACE.

And now it's time to take a break. Saw a few bugs, mostly graphical. That Siberian peninsula has its colonial range bugged, though. I owned Kamigawa but it was reading the range from Takehito (I think it was Takehito?) which made it just out of range. Kamigawa wasn't blockaded either. Kind of silly. Oh, and there was a "Gain a merchant" event when it was impossible to get a merchant (maybe intentional? Doubtful), and a couple uprising events in Okinawa that didn't actually spawn rebels. The last uprising event actually did spawn rebels, so maybe it was just events telling me things weren't doing too good and to expect an uprising and I just wasn't paying attention.
« Last Edit: August 14, 2013, 11:24:58 pm by Chaoswizkid »
Administrator of the Realms of Kar'Kaish Project.

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #352 on: August 15, 2013, 12:08:50 am »

I had the same issue with the range thing. Ceylon was out of range so I took Lower Sindh , that didn't change the range at all once it was cored.

Though the most-south Swahili province was core-able when I cored Kilwa (or whatever, the other gold province) so... Hm.
Quote from: SalmonGod
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.
Quote from: Myroc
Descan confirmed for antichrist.
Quote from: LeoLeonardoIII
I wonder if any of us don't love Descan.

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #353 on: August 15, 2013, 12:39:42 am »

Started an unprovoked war with Ancona as Venice because all my reasonable expansion prospects are part of the HRE.  Mantua, who leads a PU with Ancona, joins in the war.  War ends, I annex Mantau (which is 3 provinces because it conquered most of Milan) instead of Ancona, netting me three provinces that the ungodly powerful Austria would have defended had I attacked them directly.  So I think that worked out pretty well.

Oh, and everyone hates me now.
"T-take this non-euclidean geometry, h-humanity-baka. I m-made it, but not because I l-li-l-like you or anything! I just felt s-sorry for you, b-baka."
You misspelled seance.  Are possessing Draignean?  Are you actually a ghost in the shell? You have to tell us if you are, that's the rule

Eagle_eye

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #354 on: August 15, 2013, 01:18:39 am »

Playing an ironman poland game, everything's going pretty well: I've got Austria and Mega-Sweden as allies, Lithuania is firmly under my thumb, I'm at the top of the pack in tech, etc. Then all of a sudden, Austria surrenders to Crimea, and releases my vassals of Moldavia and Gotland. I recapture them, and things are looking up again. I form the Commonwealth, and then boom: reformation, plus "religious turmoil". Now I have 7+% revolt risk in 2/3rd of my provinces.

A vast improvement over EUIII

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #355 on: August 15, 2013, 01:19:55 am »

Oh, and everyone hates me now.
Meh, the typical fate of a grand empire.
Unknown to most but the insane and the mystics, Tarran is actually Earth itself, as Earth is sentient like that planet in Avatar. Originally Earth used names such as Terra on the internet, but to protect it's identity it changed letters, now becoming the Tarran you know today.
Tarran has the "Tarran Bug", a bug which causes the affected character to repeatedly hit teammates while dual-wielding instead of whatever the hell he is shooting at.

Karlito

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #356 on: August 15, 2013, 01:32:37 am »

Yeah, it's typically a bad idea to let the AI negotiate for you in any war.
This sentence contains exactly threee erors.

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #357 on: August 15, 2013, 02:00:36 am »

Playing an ironman poland game, everything's going pretty well: I've got Austria and Mega-Sweden as allies, Lithuania is firmly under my thumb, I'm at the top of the pack in tech, etc. Then all of a sudden, Austria surrenders to Crimea, and releases my vassals of Moldavia and Gotland. I recapture them, and things are looking up again. I form the Commonwealth, and then boom: reformation, plus "religious turmoil". Now I have 7+% revolt risk in 2/3rd of my provinces.

A vast improvement over EUIII

There's a checkbox next to the negotiate button that decides if your allies are allowed to negotiate for you.

Also you can spend 10 military power on "harsh treatment" to reduce the revolt risk by 5% in a province.

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #358 on: August 15, 2013, 05:06:03 am »

Fun fact for those who played MEIOU or D&T on EU3: There will soon be MEIOU and Taxes for EU4.

Twiggie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #359 on: August 15, 2013, 08:00:46 am »

For all you guys who didn't hear, EU4 game signups are closing today! Last chance!

Also, has anyone else noticed a bug with the army travel arrows? Seems like they only fill up to a quarter ish and then the army is moved.
Pages: 1 ... 22 23 [24] 25 26 ... 216