Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 117 118 [119] 120 121 ... 216

Author Topic: Europa Universalis IV  (Read 451621 times)

Catastrophic lolcats

• Bay Watcher
  • [FORTRESSDESTROYER:2]
    • View Profile
Re: Europa Universalis IV
« Reply #1770 on: December 16, 2014, 08:37:13 pm »

Without country names your description is a little vague.
What I think may of happened is that the allied army merely marched through uncolonised territory to attack your own army. AI will path through uncolonised provinces (never wastelands obviously) if they have line of sight to the target; hilariously leading to them getting destroying by aggressive natives in the early game (especially in Africa).

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1771 on: December 17, 2014, 02:37:59 am »

There might have been some colonized territory along the way, but none near the coastal provinces I was sieging. Sorry about not giving the names but I was too lazy to bother and thought it didn't matter. I'm basically just asking how an AI can get units through a wall of countries they don't have military access from and without transports. I will assume I just missed them when they were walking in my LoS, but after hearing about rebels being able to teleport it makes me wonder.

a1s

• Bay Watcher
  • Torchlight Venturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #1772 on: December 17, 2014, 03:30:41 am »

rebels teleport
What is this heresy? :o
I tried to play chess but two of my opponents were playing competitive checkers as a third person walked in with Game of Thrones in hand confused cause they thought this was the book club.

kaian-a-coel

• Bay Watcher
  • (Exo)biologist student
    • View Profile
« Reply #1773 on: December 17, 2014, 03:44:14 am »

rebels teleport
They don't have boats so to prevent them from getting stuck on islands they teleport.
EA games is like the dark lord sauron, and the gaming consumer demographic is like gollum.
Sauron makes the precious.
Gollum loves and hates the precious.
Full Sig

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
« Reply #1774 on: December 17, 2014, 04:22:12 am »

rebels teleport
They don't have boats so to prevent them from getting stuck on islands they teleport.
Only in Paradox games one can simultaneously claim to be one of the most accurate simulators of history while also giving AI blatant cheats.
._.

Majestic7

• Bay Watcher
  • Invokes Yog-Soggoth to bend time
    • View Profile
« Reply #1775 on: December 17, 2014, 06:02:50 am »

Teleporting rebels are harmful to AI nations too, though. Anyway, it is completely plausible - haven't you heard of the time when Lenin and 10 000 revolutionaries swam across the Baltic to take the Czar by surprise? Requiring transports is being stuck into the decadent mindset of dying nobility!

If you really wanted to defend teleportation, I guess you could argue it represent popular support to the rebels. Their troops are ferried in small numbers by fishing boats and other small civilian vessels etc.

a1s

• Bay Watcher
  • Torchlight Venturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #1776 on: December 17, 2014, 06:20:21 am »

rebels teleport
They don't have boats
But... they're rebels. They can just spawn boats. I guess that would require a coastal province to support their cause, though...
I tried to play chess but two of my opponents were playing competitive checkers as a third person walked in with Game of Thrones in hand confused cause they thought this was the book club.

werty892

• Bay Watcher
  • Neat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1777 on: December 17, 2014, 06:30:48 am »

You can blockade them to stop them from teleporting. I think the idea is that they can get boats, like fishing boats, and make their way across.

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1778 on: December 18, 2014, 04:27:08 pm »

Ok, it's confirmed, my AI is teleporting units. I literally just watched a stack of 2 guys appear. No fog of war nearby, spawned on one of their already captured provinces.

They were Ethiopia and the only reasonable conclusion other than blatant cheating that I can come up with is that they have an event that lets them auto spawn some units. But I've never heard of an event that only spawns 2 units and don't know if they can spawn on a captured province.

Baffler

• Bay Watcher
  • Caveat Lector.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1779 on: December 18, 2014, 04:51:59 pm »

That happened to me too. I was playing Byzantium and was trying to remove the Ottomans from the Balkans with the help of Hungary, Serbia, and Venice. I could see all of their Balkan holdings. The Venetian navy destroyed theirs or sent it to hide in port, and I set a few barques to stop them ferrying men across the Bosporus. A stack of 16 Ottoman regiments just appeared next to Athens with a 3 star leader. They appeared in an inland province and Venice was still around, so they can't have sent them by sea, and I had provinces adjacent to that one under siege and had destroyed the 7 regiment force that was there at the start of the war, so that's out too. Venice pulled out because "Ottomans were making gains," their navy left port and destroyed my barques, and they sent the rest of their army across the now undefended Bosporus. That was the closest I'd ever come to saving the Empire, and I'm more than a little annoyed that blatant AI magic was the reason I lost.
Quote from: Helgoland
Even if you found a suitable opening, I doubt it would prove all too satisfying. And it might leave some nasty wounds, depending on the moral high ground's geology.
Location subject to periodic change.
Baffler likes silver, walnut trees, the color green, tanzanite, and dogs for their loyalty. When possible he prefers to consume beef, iced tea, and cornbread. He absolutely detests ticks.

Mictlantecuhtli

• Bay Watcher
  • Grinning God of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #1780 on: December 18, 2014, 04:56:24 pm »

I may thoroughly dislike EU4, but I've literally never experienced what's being described the last couple pages. And I'm the first one to moan about this game's bugs. If I'm carpet occupying there's never been 'magic' AI reinforcements that I didn't know exactly where they came from.
I am surrounded by flesh and bone, I am a temple of living. Maybe I'll maybe my life away.

Santorum leaves a bad taste in my mouth,
Card-carrying Liberaltarian

Sindain

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1781 on: December 18, 2014, 06:29:33 pm »

Ok, it's confirmed, my AI is teleporting units. I literally just watched a stack of 2 guys appear. No fog of war nearby, spawned on one of their already captured provinces.

They were Ethiopia and the only reasonable conclusion other than blatant cheating that I can come up with is that they have an event that lets them auto spawn some units. But I've never heard of an event that only spawns 2 units and don't know if they can spawn on a captured province.

There is an event that can give you (or the AI) a couple free regiments on an owned but occupied piece of territory.

Also, while it doesn't sound like it fits any of these scenarios, you can recruit troops on occupied enemy territory.
« Last Edit: December 18, 2014, 06:31:40 pm by Sindain »
"just once I'd like to learn a lesson without something exploding."

Eagle_eye

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1782 on: December 18, 2014, 09:15:47 pm »

They probably saved up for a while beforehand, and bought a bunch of mercenaries.

WealthyRadish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1783 on: December 18, 2014, 09:29:30 pm »

I would be very surprised if the teleporting soldiers thing was true. It's an easy explanation to jump to, when messing up and getting sieges wrecked is so common for tons of reasons. If you think they're teleporting, savescum and it'll be clear they aren't. If rebels can teleport, I'd say that's a stupid change, but I wouldn't really call it the AI cheating when rebels aren't an AI or opponent, but a mechanic that affects everyone.

And yeah, native nations usually have more money than they know what to do with, so that's not AI cheating either.

Catastrophic lolcats

• Bay Watcher
  • [FORTRESSDESTROYER:2]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1784 on: December 18, 2014, 10:58:09 pm »

I haven't experienced teleporting units, although I'm still currently on 1.8 while finishing up a game.

I have had a couple of (extremely rare) events that would summon a couple of free units in provinces I own, they seems to be added in Art of War. It could also mean that the AI could somehow be sortie-ing, perhaps through an event? To my knowledge they still have no concept of that feature (gj on that Paradox btw ::))

EDIT: I do have a vague memory seeing a stream where there was an event that gave you the option to sortie or not. This could explain why a couple thousand units mysteriously appear out of nowhere and kill your carpet sieges.
« Last Edit: December 18, 2014, 11:37:31 pm by Catastrophic lolcats »
Pages: 1 ... 117 118 [119] 120 121 ... 216