Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 124 125 [126] 127 128 ... 216

Author Topic: Europa Universalis IV  (Read 451642 times)

Catastrophic lolcats

• Bay Watcher
  • [FORTRESSDESTROYER:2]
    • View Profile
Re: Europa Universalis IV
« Reply #1875 on: January 22, 2015, 07:30:08 am »

New dev diary up.

Completely underwhelming. The Treaty of Tordesillas which could have fixed up some wonkiness with colonising is completely underwhelming and will likely make it even easier for the Iberians to dominate.

Looks like I'm skipping this one.

Uristides

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1876 on: January 22, 2015, 09:02:05 am »

Just finished reading the dev diary thread. Tordesillas seems like a complete disappointment indeed, the kind of thing most players(and maybe the AI?) will just happily ignore.
I mean, it getting ignored by other colonial entrepreneurs, and even by the iberians from time to time, was what happened IRL. I just hoped EUIV could make it relevant. I imagine it would really put some more fuel to the fires of the reformation.
Nahuatl mechanic sounds completely silly too. At this point I'm only buying this on a sale and if one of the new native religions is for south american tribes(preferably brazilian) and not as silly as nahuatl.

Culise

• Bay Watcher
  • General Nuisance
    • View Profile
« Reply #1877 on: January 22, 2015, 10:07:21 am »

The new exploration mechanic sounds somewhat interesting; it's a notion that's been bandied about on occasion since EU1 and EU2.  Tordesillas does seem like it could help in uniting colonial regions in the early-to-mid game while still giving other nations an out to ignore it (especially if the AI is weighted to take appropriate advantage of it), but the Doom mechanic is just awful.  I appreciate that they want to incentivize flower wars and make sacrifice into something that's not just a gamey "replace the 0/0/0 ruler" like Depression in CK2, but it just feels goofy. 

That said, this (almost certainly patch) note looks very nice:
Quote from: Wiz
The concept of 'Primitives' (CB and such) has been decoupled from religion and is now a factor of tech group.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2015, 10:09:51 am by Culise »

Digital Hellhound

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1878 on: February 02, 2015, 02:13:27 am »

Is it WAD for countries to join the 'wrong' side in the HRE Religious War in AoW? First, the Ottomans joined the Protestant League, and I thought, okay, this does have some historical backing (Ottoman offers of support to Protestant princes in order to weaken their Catholic enemies). Then Sunni Crimea joins the Catholic League. Okay, weird, but I can still see why.

Then staunchly Catholic, reformation-embracing Austria and Hungary join the Protestant League. Now, this makes sense from a realpolitikking point of view - I am the (Catholic, though I intended to convert) Emperor, and their hated enemy - but it seems pretty bizarre for them to join the heretic scum they want to eradicate.
Russia is simply taking an anti-Fascist stance against European Nazi products, they should be applauded. ¡No parmesan!

Wysthric

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm actually Korbac! :)
    • View Profile
« Reply #1879 on: February 02, 2015, 03:13:14 am »

Yep, weird. I had a Catholic France join the Protestant League, which resulted in it breaking our alliance and coming to beat my ass when I accidentally got elected.
I'm Korbac. Not sure what happened to that account.

PanH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1880 on: February 02, 2015, 04:39:57 am »

Yep, weird. I had a Catholic France join the Protestant League, which resulted in it breaking our alliance and coming to beat my ass when I accidentally got elected.
So, like Catholic France did historically helped the Protestant League ? Rivalry was more important than religion.

Digital Hellhound

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1881 on: February 02, 2015, 05:47:28 am »

My only worry about going protestant is that my big bad allies (Poland and France) would still stay within the Catholic League. Although, does anyone know what happens if the Emperor converts to the non-dominant faith? Do they kick me out and elect a good Catholic? There's a chance that I might just shift the dominant faith to Protestant, though.
Russia is simply taking an anti-Fascist stance against European Nazi products, they should be applauded. ¡No parmesan!

Satarus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1882 on: February 03, 2015, 12:58:12 pm »

If the Emperor converts to a non-acceptable religion, a new emperor is immediately elected.
You need to make said elf leather into the most amazing work of art.  Embed it with every kind of gem you have, stud it with metals, and sew images into it.  Erect a shrine outside your fort with that in the center.  Let the elves know that you view their very skin as naught more but a medium for your dwarves to work on.

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1883 on: February 07, 2015, 04:10:56 pm »

Wow does Burgundy have it rough... Capture Barrios to connect your lands and suddenly England France and Austria all enter a coalition against you. Seriously, whoever programmed that, you suck.

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1884 on: February 07, 2015, 04:39:32 pm »

But it was ONE province.

PanH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1885 on: February 07, 2015, 06:20:52 pm »

Yeah, it's a province of the HRE, so Austria is joining, it's the culture of France, so France is joining, and I guess England is just out to screw everyone (like in every games).

Catastrophic lolcats

• Bay Watcher
  • [FORTRESSDESTROYER:2]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1886 on: February 07, 2015, 07:06:29 pm »

Paradox plis.

Sindain

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1887 on: February 07, 2015, 07:19:05 pm »

Ahhh... Just like the gold ol' days of a million native tribes spamming sabotage relations on you.
"just once I'd like to learn a lesson without something exploding."

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1888 on: February 08, 2015, 03:13:11 pm »

Paradox plis.

Paradox is too busy giving the AI zero build time, speed boats, and ICBMs

Wysthric

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm actually Korbac! :)
    • View Profile
« Reply #1889 on: February 08, 2015, 06:18:36 pm »

Is there an official way of porting games over to Vicky 2?
I'm Korbac. Not sure what happened to that account.
Pages: 1 ... 124 125 [126] 127 128 ... 216