Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 134 135 [136] 137 138 ... 216

Author Topic: Europa Universalis IV  (Read 451644 times)

WealthyRadish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Europa Universalis IV
« Reply #2025 on: July 06, 2015, 10:27:01 pm »

Seems Hungary doesn't whither away nearly as often in CS. Starting friendly with Austria and having about as much development as France helps, though Bohemia also tends to do well (christ, just look at them), and they often go in on Hungary. The Teutonic Order have also been getting way beefier with seemingly every patch, and they often ally Hungary early, so I bet Hungary is less likely to lose all their troops fighting Polith.

Also, dat Lorraine. And is that Naples in Albania?

Edit: Whoa, just noticed that Russia was formed by someone other than Muscovy. I'm guessing Novgorod, if you have lucky nations off. Still pretty cool anyway, I'm not sure I've seen the AI ever manage that.
« Last Edit: July 06, 2015, 10:35:51 pm by UrbanGiraffe »

Karlito

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2026 on: July 07, 2015, 01:25:07 am »

Muscovy often seems to do poorly in the recent patch. Novgorod stands a much better chance against them, anyway.
This sentence contains exactly threee erors.

Uristides

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2027 on: July 07, 2015, 03:47:57 am »

Seems Hungary doesn't whither away nearly as often in CS. Starting friendly with Austria and having about as much development as France helps, though Bohemia also tends to do well (christ, just look at them), and they often go in on Hungary. The Teutonic Order have also been getting way beefier with seemingly every patch, and they often ally Hungary early, so I bet Hungary is less likely to lose all their troops fighting Polith.

Also, dat Lorraine. And is that Naples in Albania?

Edit: Whoa, just noticed that Russia was formed by someone other than Muscovy. I'm guessing Novgorod, if you have lucky nations off. Still pretty cool anyway, I'm not sure I've seen the AI ever manage that.
Ah yes, Bohemia has been emperor ever since the HRE became visible for me. And yes that's Naples in Albania. And Palatinate in Netherlands/Brittany :P Pic is a bit illegible because I wanted Green/Iceland Norway visible.
By the way, did I mention that except for England, Scandinavia and a few blotches of HRE the reformation didn't take hold? And that there's a hindu princedom in Tibet? Beautiful things happen when the player sits away from the worldly affairs to colonize Siberia/Oceania, apparently.

And good to know Hungary got some love and it's not just coincidence them doing well here, I wanted to play them some time but their starting position is quite scary.

Bouchart

• Bay Watcher
  • [NO_WORK]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2028 on: July 20, 2015, 07:17:42 pm »

So I managed to restore the Pentarchy and become Holy Roman Emperor as the Ottomans.

h3lblad3

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2029 on: July 22, 2015, 01:42:39 pm »

I remember that when I played I would always take Aristocratic. But it looks like they've nerfed hostile core creation cost to 50% instead of 100%.

Don't like losing land and hostile core creation up makes the AI not want to take your land. It also, as I recall, reduces the chances they'll even declare war on you because it just isn't worth it.
I was talking about importing alimunim.
And we were hypothesising about the sexual relations between elves and trees.

Chosrau

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2030 on: July 22, 2015, 02:28:42 pm »

Loosing land to the AI isn't something that happens often enough to make it worthwhile to go aristocratic, in my opinion

To be honest, I can't even remember the last time I actually lost a war against an AI. The last one that came close was the 2 million troops coalition against my 400k something Byzantine Empire, and that one was only scary during the first year, due to loosing the initial battle (320k soldiers will loose to 1,2 million, even in a mountain province).

Uristides

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2031 on: July 22, 2015, 09:24:47 pm »

Loosing land to the AI isn't something that happens often enough to make it worthwhile to go aristocratic, in my opinion
It must really suck to not suck at the game  :D

Started another Ainu game because I learnt how to cheese out of the first few japanese invasions without cheating. Got a big chunk of Siberia, Taiwan, vassalized Date and Takeda(after beating them out of a unified Japan in a war) and now working on getting some Humanistic ideas before beginning mass annexations. Did I mention I'm on easy with player bonuses? Yeah, I suck at this game.

Bouchart

• Bay Watcher
  • [NO_WORK]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2032 on: August 03, 2015, 06:44:55 pm »

So who has the better flag: Yaroslavl or Smolensk?

Yaroslavl:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Smolensk:

Catastrophic lolcats

• Bay Watcher
  • [FORTRESSDESTROYER:2]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2033 on: August 03, 2015, 06:50:19 pm »

So who has the better flag: Yaroslavl or Smolensk?
Perm.

Also man does 1.13 suck. Hopefully the recent changes get put into the defines because I'll never go back to ironman again if the 1.13 beta actually goes live.

Bouchart

• Bay Watcher
  • [NO_WORK]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2034 on: August 03, 2015, 07:05:20 pm »

What are the big problems with 1.13?

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #2035 on: August 03, 2015, 07:07:21 pm »

Did they fix the previous problems with 1.13, or are they still the same ones?
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

Catastrophic lolcats

• Bay Watcher
  • [FORTRESSDESTROYER:2]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2036 on: August 03, 2015, 07:40:31 pm »

What are the big problems with 1.13?
Development is the main issue. The devs decided it was smart to link it to MP instead of ducats. Causing minors like Wallacia to have development in the hundreds and London and Paris to be stuck at like forty. It's also hardcored to be MP.

Next comes the typical Paradox balancing bullshit. Units can't be dismissed in enemy land because reasons, enjoy that island tapped fifty merc stack.

Land can no longer be taken unless it's in coring range. So releasing and feeding vassals is nerfed hard.

Native development has also been hit hard with a one hundred percent increase, forcing the natives to sit on their dicks for decades (sometimes even centuries) hoping a European will stumble across them.
Stealing colonies had also been removed unless it's in coring range so goodbye fast westerning.

Buddhism is a joke of a religion due to the idiotic karma mechanic (which people already knew was going to be an issue in the dev diaries). It's literally worse than it was preCS making SEA even less appealing to play in.

There's also way too much focus on government levels with bonuses being much too high. Causing r even more snowballing and making states that start or are locked to duchy much less appealing, RIP monastic orders.

WealthyRadish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2037 on: August 03, 2015, 09:05:05 pm »

Yeah, I would say 1.12 is more fun to play, though I haven't played much of 1.13. The coring range and peace deal changes are really horrible, though I haven't found the full degree to which it sucks yet. Can you no longer core territory adjacent to vassals if the vassal's outside your coring range? Can you no longer take transfer occupation to a vassal and feed them if they can core it, even if you can't?

The only redeeming factor would be the extra diplomat for kingdom rank, but IMO that should be an independent nation bonus, not related to government rank. As CL already said, being fixed at duchy rank blows even harder.

Having development cost money would be interesting, it's something I haven't thought about at all. The whole idea of development was to give tiny rich nations a way to get powerful without conquering, and having it cost money would allow that to still be true without also having 30 Londons sprinkled across the HRE by 1600. The biggest problem with it is that there currently reaches a point in the game where you make more money than is practically possible to spend, so I dunno, maybe a mix of monarch points and money would be better.

Bouchart

• Bay Watcher
  • [NO_WORK]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2038 on: August 05, 2015, 12:14:41 pm »

Maybe monarch points for monarchies and money for republics, or something along those lines?

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #2039 on: August 05, 2015, 12:19:01 pm »

Maybe monarch points for monarchies and money for republics, or something along those lines?
But what do theocracies do then? Do they trade free rulers for dev points?
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.
Pages: 1 ... 134 135 [136] 137 138 ... 216