Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 161 162 [163] 164 165 ... 216

Author Topic: Europa Universalis IV  (Read 449733 times)

Bouchart

• Bay Watcher
  • [NO_WORK]
    • View Profile
Re: Europa Universalis IV
« Reply #2430 on: December 28, 2015, 10:29:08 am »

It's possible to switch religions by collapsing to religious zealot rebels.  Sunni and Shia can also switch between one another by decision.

Sunni is one of the more powerful non-Christian religions so I don't see why you'd want to switch unless you are trying to weasel into the HRE.

'cause all the provinces practise hinduism and it's going to take forever to convert all of them to the state religion.  :(

Send a missionary to one of the provinces and set the missionary maintenance slider to 0.  Wait for hindu zealots.  Let them seize a few provinces.  In one of the menus there should be an option to succumb to the rebels' demands which will change your state religion to hindu.  You take a 50 prestige hit in the process though.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #2431 on: December 28, 2015, 11:06:02 am »

It's possible to switch religions by collapsing to religious zealot rebels.  Sunni and Shia can also switch between one another by decision.

Sunni is one of the more powerful non-Christian religions so I don't see why you'd want to switch unless you are trying to weasel into the HRE.
Switching to Hinduism lets you blob through Hindu India and use deities, I find the flexibility is worth more than the reduced missionary resistance

Bouchart

• Bay Watcher
  • [NO_WORK]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2432 on: December 28, 2015, 11:20:21 am »

True.  Only problem is there's a lot of Sunni land and not a whole lot of Hindu land so you'll end up doing a lot of conversion once you have India.

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
« Reply #2433 on: December 28, 2015, 11:32:05 am »

True.  Only problem is there's a lot of Sunni land and not a whole lot of Hindu land so you'll end up doing a lot of conversion once you have India.
And remember that you'll need a lot of missionary strength to convert the Sunni provinces. I guess it depends on whether you want to expand east or west.
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

WealthyRadish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2434 on: December 28, 2015, 12:24:48 pm »

How could that even happen that Bengal's national religion is sunni islam while all its provinces practice hinduism?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Islamic_rulers_in_South_Asia

All the sultanates in India get large bonuses to religious unity and tolerance of heathens, so it doesn't really matter that all of your provinces are wrong religion. Hinduism with WoN is one of the best religions in the game though, but so is Sunni.

RoguelikeRazuka

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2435 on: December 28, 2015, 01:35:33 pm »

How do I make those damned nationalists settle down already? I've made their provinces core but they're just not going to give up, so I often end up with destroying all my army in battles against them, and it takes a really long time to start regaining free manpower to afford wars and be able to handle various urgent things.
« Last Edit: December 28, 2015, 01:38:31 pm by RoguelikeRazuka »

Persus13

• Bay Watcher
  • 6th King of the Mafia
    • View Profile
« Reply #2436 on: December 28, 2015, 01:40:10 pm »

Is there a way to switch to another religion in case the country's national religion is sunni islam? How could that even happen that Bengal's national religion is sunni islam while all its provinces practice hinduism?

Because in the 1400s most of India was under the control of Muslim conquerers who had taken over India in the last century, but didn't care enough to try and convert the majority Hindu population. Almost all of your neighbors will also be Sunni sultanates ruling over Hindu provinces with the exception of Bahmais (which I believe is Shia) and some Hindu states in the south and east.

As said above, you natioanl ideas give reduced unrest and tolerance. You'll be fine, especially if you take Humanist ideas.

How do I make those damned nationalists settle down already? I've made their provinces core but they're just not going to give up, so I often end up with destroying all my army in battles against them, and it takes a really long time to start regaining free manpower to afford wars.
Raise autonomy in the province, place 20k stacks on provinces with unrest, spend military power to setback the time once over 50%, or take ideas that reduce separatism or unrest (Humanist helps with this as well). Taking a province results in Separatism which gives a lot of unrest and takes something like 15 or 25 years to eventually go away.
« Last Edit: December 28, 2015, 01:46:58 pm by Persus13 »
Congratulations Persus, now you are forced to have the same personal text for an entire year!
Longbowmen horsearcher doomstacks that suffer no attrition and can navigate all major rivers without ships.
Sigtext

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #2437 on: December 28, 2015, 02:26:11 pm »

And honestly if you have the military to handle it, it's a lot easier to just let them rebel and be there to stomp their stacks instantly. Set your stacks to autonomous rebel suppression, plant them on the closest provinces which can support them without attrition, and set the speed to max. As long as you don't have six or seven different rebel groups at the same time, you'll usually win in the long run. If you run out of manpower and your stacks get thinned out, then start spending military power to suppress them.

e: wat

I was idly skimming around looking at countries. The year is 1030 AD, and Kyrgyzstan is a republic.

The Abbasids are looking to nom them next, so I might just have found myself a proxy.

On an unrelated note, I can reorder as the Celestial Empire as Japan, and I only barely beat out Tibet (though I don't actually want to). Poor China.
« Last Edit: December 28, 2015, 02:31:35 pm by Flying Dice »

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Bouchart

• Bay Watcher
  • [NO_WORK]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2438 on: December 28, 2015, 03:18:52 pm »

Be careful with autonomous rebel suppression.  An army will automatically attack rebels sieging a mountain province across a river, which is a major penalty.

If rebels siege a province adjacent to a fort it won't give the province any negative modifiers (like 10 years of separatism in this case).  Pick your battles wisely.

Azkanan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2439 on: December 28, 2015, 03:24:06 pm »

Anybody else think it daft that a 9k army can be a 25k, if you just plop 3k at a time when morale is low?
A pool of Dwarven Ale.
WHO IS RESPONSIBLE FOR THIS ?

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #2440 on: December 28, 2015, 03:58:04 pm »

My usual take is that if a battle was close enough for the reinforcements to tip it in the favor of one side, it's not an unreasonable thing. IOW: not really, no, considering that the 9k were apparently already holding their own against the 25k.

That's the sort of situation where there's got to be something else going on: the 25k already had low morale, the 9k had markedly higher tech/were defending on good terrain/had an excellent leader, &c. Reinforcements don't turn a definite loss into a definite win (unless it's something major like a 20k stack rolling up near the end of a 25k vs 50k or whatever).

Be careful with autonomous rebel suppression.  An army will automatically attack rebels sieging a mountain province across a river, which is a major penalty.

If rebels siege a province adjacent to a fort it won't give the province any negative modifiers (like 10 years of separatism in this case).  Pick your battles wisely.
True--but again, that's why I noted that it's situational. If terrain penalties are enough to make your forces lose, your stacks aren't beefy or numerous enough to just leave it on by default. If any rebel stack is going to have multiple 20-30k stacks attacking it at the same time, on the other hand...

That said, you can also manage initial movements manually and then turn it on after your first or second victory, since the AI is pretty much always more efficient than you are at chasing down retreating losers.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Bouchart

• Bay Watcher
  • [NO_WORK]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2441 on: December 28, 2015, 04:04:50 pm »

Maybe the 9k were Prussian or Swedish.

Persus13

• Bay Watcher
  • 6th King of the Mafia
    • View Profile
« Reply #2442 on: December 28, 2015, 04:09:11 pm »

Although most rebels go away after beating them once anyway.
Congratulations Persus, now you are forced to have the same personal text for an entire year!
Longbowmen horsearcher doomstacks that suffer no attrition and can navigate all major rivers without ships.
Sigtext

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
  • And lo, the Dude did abide. And it was good.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2443 on: December 28, 2015, 04:17:02 pm »

This has been probably asked already, but the thread is too huge to find it:

What major (i.e. introducing new mechanics)  DLCs are fun? As far as I can see, these are all very small changes - moving a trade centre, or creating a new government type.

Anything out there worth considering?

Bouchart

• Bay Watcher
  • [NO_WORK]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2444 on: December 28, 2015, 04:23:55 pm »

General consensus is that Art of War, followed by Common Sense, are the most important for ordinary gameplay.
Pages: 1 ... 161 162 [163] 164 165 ... 216