Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 181 182 [183] 184 185 ... 216

Author Topic: Europa Universalis IV  (Read 447707 times)

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
Re: Europa Universalis IV
« Reply #2730 on: July 13, 2016, 05:51:29 pm »

If its not going to siege, what is it going to do?  Forever war?
I think it would keep checking until it had recovered enough manpower to actually complete the siege..?
Or use mercenaries

Or negotiate a peace that doesn't involve costly sieges. Which would require tweaks to how warscore works, which I am 100% in favour of
Please don't shitpost, it lowers the quality of discourse
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
  • I vibrate, I die, I vibrate again
    • View Profile
« Reply #2731 on: July 14, 2016, 11:51:49 pm »

No no, to get peace you need to complete the wargoal, wait 10 years, defeat all enemy armies, capture all enemy provinces, capture and execute the enemy leader, wait for the enemy heir to come of age, then ritually disembowel them over the grave of the previous ruler.  In that order.

It will only work if both the ruler and the heir are virgins, which is literally impossible.  Paradox is still working out the glitches.
"T-take this non-euclidean geometry, h-humanity-baka. I m-made it, but not because I l-li-l-like you or anything! I just felt s-sorry for you, b-baka."
You misspelled seance.  Are possessing Draignean?  Are you actually a ghost in the shell? You have to tell us if you are, that's the rule

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2732 on: July 15, 2016, 07:49:52 am »

I am hating the new retreat AI the more I play the game. The AI decides seemingly randomly to either not move away from a province, fighting another battle and dying, or moving one province away when there is an entire country to walk through, and then getting stack wiped by the army it moved one tile away from. But of course when the AI decides it wants to move far away, it picks the furthest province possible. There just doesn't seem to be any logic behind it.

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #2733 on: July 15, 2016, 07:53:58 am »

Shattered retreats aren't very new, but yes, they are terrible.
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #2734 on: July 15, 2016, 07:57:26 am »

And there IS logic to them, obviously. It's a pretty idiotic mechanic imo, but I understand the reasoning for it.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #2735 on: July 15, 2016, 08:46:34 am »

The shit thing as well is you can't manually stage a retreat, even if you leave behind another army as your rearguard in battle. The reason is, if you retreat, you now lower the morale of everyone behind you - causing all of them to die which alongside the morale hit of your first retreating army means you save more morale and more men by fighting to the last man.
Shattered retreats save more lives than organized retreats. wat

Rex_Nex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2736 on: July 16, 2016, 03:29:09 pm »

I was playing Milan and having a pretty nice early game when I noticed Venice was vulnerable, having been attacked by the Ottomans. I declared war on them for Brescia and it's pretty rough, but I get by knowing that as soon as the Ottomans land in Italy and stackwipe them, I have the war in the bag. Everything going according to plan, Venice gets stackwiped, I siege down Brescia and go back to siege my capital back from Venezian control so that I'm not forced to give into demands. I figured I'd just spend some extra admin on increasing stability if Venice tries to back out while I'm still sieging.

...and Venice send six demands for peace on the same exact day, drops my stab by 6 in a single tick, and my country force-capitulates & implodes. What the heck? Doesn't the AI also have to wait between diplomatic actions? I was trying really hard not to get in the habit of reloading my saves, but stuff like this makes it hard.
« Last Edit: July 16, 2016, 03:31:23 pm by Rex_Nex »

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2737 on: July 16, 2016, 03:48:02 pm »

I was playing Milan and having a pretty nice early game when I noticed Venice was vulnerable, having been attacked by the Ottomans. I declared war on them for Brescia and it's pretty rough, but I get by knowing that as soon as the Ottomans land in Italy and stackwipe them, I have the war in the bag. Everything going according to plan, Venice gets stackwiped, I siege down Brescia and go back to siege my capital back from Venezian control so that I'm not forced to give into demands. I figured I'd just spend some extra admin on increasing stability if Venice tries to back out while I'm still sieging.

...and Venice send six demands for peace on the same exact day, drops my stab by 6 in a single tick, and my country force-capitulates & implodes. What the heck? Doesn't the AI also have to wait between diplomatic actions? I was trying really hard not to get in the habit of reloading my saves, but stuff like this makes it hard.

Yeah that shouldn't happen.

Anyway, if you need a possible work around for that, you can leave the demands up for what I think is 3 months before they will automatically cancel/accept (I think it's whichever the first choice is). So that's about 3 more siege ticks.

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #2738 on: July 16, 2016, 07:34:45 pm »

Having finally lost my Revolutionary France game (bohemiablob+mexicoblob+polandblob too stronk) I started playing as Castile. Lead a crusade into North Africa against Tunis and their Ottoman allies. My ally Austria was conquering Nuremburg or something and didn't want to join at first, but when the popup appeared I went to invite them to the war but clicked "Dissolve Alliance" instead. Then they rivalled me. RIP.

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2739 on: July 17, 2016, 07:07:37 am »

Having finally lost my Revolutionary France game (bohemiablob+mexicoblob+polandblob too stronk) I started playing as Castile. Lead a crusade into North Africa against Tunis and their Ottoman allies. My ally Austria was conquering Nuremburg or something and didn't want to join at first, but when the popup appeared I went to invite them to the war but clicked "Dissolve Alliance" instead. Then they rivalled me. RIP.

Load a save. Even if it's ironman if you make a mistake then exit out of it through task manager.

Persus13

• Bay Watcher
  • 6th King of the Mafia
    • View Profile
« Reply #2740 on: July 17, 2016, 10:03:13 am »

Reminds me of the time in a game where I needed to befriend Austira, but accidentally insulted them instead of sending my diplomat to improve relations with them.
Congratulations Persus, now you are forced to have the same personal text for an entire year!
Longbowmen horsearcher doomstacks that suffer no attrition and can navigate all major rivers without ships.
Sigtext

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2741 on: July 18, 2016, 03:09:02 pm »

"I hear in their lands, cow manure is considered a great gift."
"T-take this non-euclidean geometry, h-humanity-baka. I m-made it, but not because I l-li-l-like you or anything! I just felt s-sorry for you, b-baka."
You misspelled seance.  Are possessing Draignean?  Are you actually a ghost in the shell? You have to tell us if you are, that's the rule

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #2742 on: July 18, 2016, 03:20:04 pm »

"I hear in their lands, cow manure is considered a great gift."
Only in CKII

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2743 on: July 18, 2016, 03:51:01 pm »

Well obviously, that's how they power all their bombs.

Persus13

• Bay Watcher
  • 6th King of the Mafia
    • View Profile
« Reply #2744 on: July 18, 2016, 09:45:23 pm »

Amusing enough for me to sig, thanks.
Congratulations Persus, now you are forced to have the same personal text for an entire year!
Longbowmen horsearcher doomstacks that suffer no attrition and can navigate all major rivers without ships.
Sigtext
Pages: 1 ... 181 182 [183] 184 185 ... 216