Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 183 184 [185] 186 187 ... 211

Author Topic: Europa Universalis IV  (Read 294940 times)

WealthyRadish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Europa Universalis IV
« Reply #2760 on: September 21, 2016, 07:59:35 pm »

Hordes also get starting units with excellent pips (both infantry and cavalry).

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2761 on: September 21, 2016, 08:43:48 pm »

Hordes also get starting units with excellent pips (both infantry and cavalry).

Steppe Hordes get a 25% bonus to shock on open ground, maybe that's it.

http://www.eu4wiki.com/Steppe_hordes#Steppe_shock_bonus

Ahhh these would explain it, thank you. So are these strong troops event troops or just starting ones?

WealthyRadish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2762 on: September 21, 2016, 09:04:33 pm »

The level 1 units here (there aren't special event troops): http://www.eu4wiki.com/Land_units
Though I'm not sure how up to date the wiki is.

Hordes get 4 infantry pips to china's 2, and 6 cavalry pips to china's 3. It's sort of like a +1 to 2 to all rolls, multiplicative with the terrain shock bonus.

Persus13

• Bay Watcher
  • 6th King of the Mafia
    • View Profile
« Reply #2763 on: September 21, 2016, 09:06:58 pm »

Your skill at wiki navigation is stronger than mine.
Congratulations Persus, now you are forced to have the same personal text for an entire year!
Longbowmen horsearcher doomstacks that suffer no attrition and can navigate all major rivers without ships.
Sigtext

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2764 on: September 28, 2016, 04:22:27 pm »

So how would I go about finding which provinces to undo as states? I hit my state limit as Ming and have a lot of new land and want to clean things up a bit.

pedrito

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2765 on: October 11, 2016, 11:45:21 am »

New expansion is out, with a revamped tech system (no more hard tech groups)!

Been waiting for this all summer, but not much time to play ATM.

Anyone experimented with this yet?

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
  • Kringrus! Babak crulurg tingra!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nowherepublishing.com
« Reply #2766 on: October 11, 2016, 12:05:24 pm »

Sounds interesting. Would definitely make playing as non-westerners more flexible.
Space 'Murrica! United States of Space! (Stellaris Democratic Succession)

A thousand million pool balls made from precious metals, covered in beef stock.

Ghazkull

• Bay Watcher
  • Can Improve, will give back better...
    • View Profile
« Reply #2767 on: October 11, 2016, 03:47:06 pm »

Okay maybe i am misunderstanding this but reading that article it seems like in the end the Westerners get the better troops (albeit only at the end)...or am i forgetting something here?

Rex_Nex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2768 on: October 11, 2016, 05:34:03 pm »

Nope, Western troops end up better.

WealthyRadish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2769 on: October 11, 2016, 09:14:40 pm »

So very much modding to do. A peek in the institutions file looks promising, and there are quite a few sick new scriptable modifiers (or, as the ingrate in me first thought, "long overdue"). Institutions and the new scriptable military modifiers should be enough get going on the Big One, removing monarch points entirely (assuming I can wrangle single-idea-per-group GUI elements to not look like crap).

I think the vanilla institutions will suck hard, though. If this was an update to address the many critics of the game's eurocentrism, having the conditions for the printing press originating being:

Code: [Select]
can_start = {
is_year = 1550
is_in_capital_area = yes
is_island = no
OR = {
religion = protestant
religion = reformed
region = north_german_region
region = south_german_region
}

}

is going to get some entertaining complaints. I'm also not sure how they're addressing the fundamental problems with it, like how developments across the planet completely unknown to a continent make their progression inexplicably more difficult than it was before. But I probably won't be playing the game for a long time, because hot damn, there's some real potential here.

Catastrophic lolcats

• Bay Watcher
  • [FORTRESSDESTROYER:2]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2770 on: October 12, 2016, 05:04:43 am »

So very much modding to do. A peek in the institutions file looks promising, and there are quite a few sick new scriptable modifiers (or, as the ingrate in me first thought, "long overdue"). Institutions and the new scriptable military modifiers should be enough get going on the Big One, removing monarch points entirely (assuming I can wrangle single-idea-per-group GUI elements to not look like crap).
That would be absolutely amazing. EU4's over reliance on MP has removed all the enjoyment I used to have for the game. I've been having pretty significant grand strategy withdraws after HoI4 underwhelmed me and Stellaris utterly disappointed me.

Although I guess that won't help the terrible navy and espionage systems that, if anything, have only gotten worse in the later patches. It only took them nine expansions to decide regencies were a trash mechanic.

ZeroGravitas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2771 on: October 12, 2016, 09:09:04 am »

I'm wondering how institutions will get to the Americas. They spread across single tiles of ocean or to adjacent land tiles. The Americas are significantly more than either of those.

No, adjacency is merely one way they spread.

USEC_OFFICER

• Bay Watcher
  • How are you a cop again?
    • View Profile
« Reply #2772 on: October 12, 2016, 01:14:14 pm »

According to the wiki, you are mostly fucked for Feudalism/Renaissance/Colonialism. As far as I can tell, the only way they can spread to America is via colonial nations. If their overlord/colonizer has embraced them, then those institutions have a good chance for to appear in their capitals (after which it'll spread from there and you can snag it that way). The other institutions can appear in the New World by themselves, so long as you have the right prerequisites. Printing Press will eventually show up if you have Diplo 15 (which is not impossible to get) and the other Institutions show up if you have the right buildings. Markets and so on for Global Trade, Manufactories for Manufactories (duh) and Universities for the Enlightenment. You can also snag the Enlightenment by completing the Innovative ideas or having the right statesman with enough tech, and Global Trade will show up in Centres of Trade as well.

In other words, the Americas are fucked for tech in the beginning. They aren't getting the first three institutions, and I doubt that they'll have 15 Diplo in time for Printing Press with the +150% tech cost. After that, they should have an easier time catching up.

Rex_Nex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2773 on: October 12, 2016, 02:01:14 pm »

The new expansion is a huge amount of fun for someone like me who's sank way too many hours and knows how virtually every game will play out; the "meta" (if you can even call it that?) is completely new and the world tends to develop very differently than what I'm used to. I suspect this has a lot to do with the new traits system giving every ruler their own AI personality. Another huge, underrated change/fix was that the AI no longer increases autonomy in provinces they want to make states. It sounds like nothing, but beforehand every single province the AI conquered would instantly be set to 100% autonomy. Basically, it meant that the AI took 100+ years before the land they conquered actually made them stronger. Completely ruined the AI and could make the game feel easier than it should have.

Definitely needs a patch or two to smooth things out though, right now there's a lot of silly stuff. I've only played one game and already noticed way too much "fun", here's a couple examples:

* Apparently being a single institution ahead allowed the Ottomans to make the entire Mamluk Sultanate a protectorate. This turned the Mamluks into a "nogovernment", stalled Ottoman expansion south, and naturally had a huge amount of liberty desire.

* If you release a trading city and aren't sufficiently large, that trading city will instantly rival you. Woops.

The one intentional feature of this patch that I'm not sold on is how forts work now. My fears when this was announced were that mountain forts would be gamebreakingly strong, and that's exactly what they are. I've watched the Ottomans try to invade Qara Qoyunlu four times now and only once did they manage to siege down a mountain fort before being repelled. I certainly wanted forts to be stronger, but this is going way too far. You even take the river crossing penalty if the relieving army crosses a river beforehand!

The new tech system is cool but the numbers and spawn locations need serious work. Instead of tech groups, you're now either "European" "Near Europe" or "Backwater". As far as I can tell, institutions spread very slowly compared to the penalty they give. China is already starting to tick up towards 200% tech cost fifty years after gamestart as the Enlightenment has barely made its way out of Anatolia. Unless something I missed causes institutional spread to increase massively, you can basically expect to have pre-RoM Native American tech costs in the east for most of the game.
« Last Edit: October 12, 2016, 02:04:23 pm by Rex_Nex »

Iceblaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 50% less in-jokes!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2774 on: October 12, 2016, 02:39:05 pm »

Honestly, it's very interesting and I'll be wtching to see how it develops.

My main interest atm is seeing how Arumba will try to minmax it. Maybe he makes a few spreadsheets in his anger :P
Pages: 1 ... 183 184 [185] 186 187 ... 211