Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 184 185 [186] 187 188 ... 216

Author Topic: Europa Universalis IV  (Read 445091 times)

Rex_Nex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Europa Universalis IV
« Reply #2775 on: October 11, 2016, 05:34:03 pm »

Nope, Western troops end up better.

WealthyRadish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2776 on: October 11, 2016, 09:14:40 pm »

So very much modding to do. A peek in the institutions file looks promising, and there are quite a few sick new scriptable modifiers (or, as the ingrate in me first thought, "long overdue"). Institutions and the new scriptable military modifiers should be enough get going on the Big One, removing monarch points entirely (assuming I can wrangle single-idea-per-group GUI elements to not look like crap).

I think the vanilla institutions will suck hard, though. If this was an update to address the many critics of the game's eurocentrism, having the conditions for the printing press originating being:

Code: [Select]
can_start = {
is_year = 1550
is_in_capital_area = yes
is_island = no
OR = {
religion = protestant
religion = reformed
region = north_german_region
region = south_german_region
}

}

is going to get some entertaining complaints. I'm also not sure how they're addressing the fundamental problems with it, like how developments across the planet completely unknown to a continent make their progression inexplicably more difficult than it was before. But I probably won't be playing the game for a long time, because hot damn, there's some real potential here.

Catastrophic lolcats

• Bay Watcher
  • [FORTRESSDESTROYER:2]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2777 on: October 12, 2016, 05:04:43 am »

So very much modding to do. A peek in the institutions file looks promising, and there are quite a few sick new scriptable modifiers (or, as the ingrate in me first thought, "long overdue"). Institutions and the new scriptable military modifiers should be enough get going on the Big One, removing monarch points entirely (assuming I can wrangle single-idea-per-group GUI elements to not look like crap).
That would be absolutely amazing. EU4's over reliance on MP has removed all the enjoyment I used to have for the game. I've been having pretty significant grand strategy withdraws after HoI4 underwhelmed me and Stellaris utterly disappointed me.

Although I guess that won't help the terrible navy and espionage systems that, if anything, have only gotten worse in the later patches. It only took them nine expansions to decide regencies were a trash mechanic.

ZeroGravitas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2778 on: October 12, 2016, 09:09:04 am »

I'm wondering how institutions will get to the Americas. They spread across single tiles of ocean or to adjacent land tiles. The Americas are significantly more than either of those.

No, adjacency is merely one way they spread.

USEC_OFFICER

• Bay Watcher
  • Pulls the strings and makes them ring.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2779 on: October 12, 2016, 01:14:14 pm »

According to the wiki, you are mostly fucked for Feudalism/Renaissance/Colonialism. As far as I can tell, the only way they can spread to America is via colonial nations. If their overlord/colonizer has embraced them, then those institutions have a good chance for to appear in their capitals (after which it'll spread from there and you can snag it that way). The other institutions can appear in the New World by themselves, so long as you have the right prerequisites. Printing Press will eventually show up if you have Diplo 15 (which is not impossible to get) and the other Institutions show up if you have the right buildings. Markets and so on for Global Trade, Manufactories for Manufactories (duh) and Universities for the Enlightenment. You can also snag the Enlightenment by completing the Innovative ideas or having the right statesman with enough tech, and Global Trade will show up in Centres of Trade as well.

In other words, the Americas are fucked for tech in the beginning. They aren't getting the first three institutions, and I doubt that they'll have 15 Diplo in time for Printing Press with the +150% tech cost. After that, they should have an easier time catching up.

Rex_Nex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2780 on: October 12, 2016, 02:01:14 pm »

The new expansion is a huge amount of fun for someone like me who's sank way too many hours and knows how virtually every game will play out; the "meta" (if you can even call it that?) is completely new and the world tends to develop very differently than what I'm used to. I suspect this has a lot to do with the new traits system giving every ruler their own AI personality. Another huge, underrated change/fix was that the AI no longer increases autonomy in provinces they want to make states. It sounds like nothing, but beforehand every single province the AI conquered would instantly be set to 100% autonomy. Basically, it meant that the AI took 100+ years before the land they conquered actually made them stronger. Completely ruined the AI and could make the game feel easier than it should have.

Definitely needs a patch or two to smooth things out though, right now there's a lot of silly stuff. I've only played one game and already noticed way too much "fun", here's a couple examples:

* Apparently being a single institution ahead allowed the Ottomans to make the entire Mamluk Sultanate a protectorate. This turned the Mamluks into a "nogovernment", stalled Ottoman expansion south, and naturally had a huge amount of liberty desire.

* If you release a trading city and aren't sufficiently large, that trading city will instantly rival you. Woops.

The one intentional feature of this patch that I'm not sold on is how forts work now. My fears when this was announced were that mountain forts would be gamebreakingly strong, and that's exactly what they are. I've watched the Ottomans try to invade Qara Qoyunlu four times now and only once did they manage to siege down a mountain fort before being repelled. I certainly wanted forts to be stronger, but this is going way too far. You even take the river crossing penalty if the relieving army crosses a river beforehand!

The new tech system is cool but the numbers and spawn locations need serious work. Instead of tech groups, you're now either "European" "Near Europe" or "Backwater". As far as I can tell, institutions spread very slowly compared to the penalty they give. China is already starting to tick up towards 200% tech cost fifty years after gamestart as the Enlightenment has barely made its way out of Anatolia. Unless something I missed causes institutional spread to increase massively, you can basically expect to have pre-RoM Native American tech costs in the east for most of the game.
« Last Edit: October 12, 2016, 02:04:23 pm by Rex_Nex »

Iceblaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 50% less in-jokes!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2781 on: October 12, 2016, 02:39:05 pm »

Honestly, it's very interesting and I'll be wtching to see how it develops.

My main interest atm is seeing how Arumba will try to minmax it. Maybe he makes a few spreadsheets in his anger :P

Iceblaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 50% less in-jokes!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2782 on: October 12, 2016, 04:45:31 pm »

And really annoying minmaxing and various other things. Too keep it short, his Ck2 Reaper's Due Tall campaign had him swear he'd only be in De-Jure sweden. Well, come part I dunno. ten, i think. He's the duke of Suomi :P

ollobrains

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2783 on: October 12, 2016, 07:24:45 pm »

it means if youre near east or asia, then colony hopping or grabbing afew provinces expanding towards europe could be away of getting things, as for the native americans, try to grow via colonies and annex colony eating ( take them over then give them 4 duccats a month subsidy and theyll build a new colony) u can then stop the subsidy if u u have 2 or 3 vassals u ca n grow them to a size then eat them over time.

As far as the tech try and get close to where the europeans show up and prey ( and try to build the pre req buildings for institutions as listed above as well as maybe focus all development into a coastal province or two and build it up) and prey that u get an institution spawn in the americans

CABL

• Bay Watcher
  • Has a fetish for voring the rich
    • View Profile
« Reply #2784 on: October 13, 2016, 11:13:08 am »

Hello there! I just purchased RoM expansion, and I'm going to check it out. I haven't played EU4 since 1.15.1, but I still remember it pretty well. Can you suggest me interesting, fairly difficult nation to play? I have all major DLC, expect Cossacks and Mare Nostrum. Regions in which I interested in are Europe (both Western and Eastern), India and Northern Africa.
Pounded in the Butt by my own Government... oh wait, that's real life.

Much less active than I used to be on these forums, but I still visit them on occasion. Will probably resume my activity in full once Dwarf Fortress will be released on Steam.

Baffler

• Bay Watcher
  • Caveat Lector.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2785 on: October 13, 2016, 04:48:40 pm »

Morocco is a fun one. They're powerful enough for you to actually do something, and you've got clear routes of expansion in a Neo-Almohad empire or bringing the rest of the Maghreb under your banner. If you're feeling especially ahistorical you have a nice stretch of Atlantic coast so you can go to America, the West Indies, or the West African coast. On the other hand you have disadvantages in the Muslim tech group and low development inland, plus fairly powerful rivals in each direction - Tunis and their Ottoman allies in the East, the Christians in Spain, and the Italians in the Mediterranean.
Quote from: Helgoland
Even if you found a suitable opening, I doubt it would prove all too satisfying. And it might leave some nasty wounds, depending on the moral high ground's geology.
Location subject to periodic change.
Baffler likes silver, walnut trees, the color green, tanzanite, and dogs for their loyalty. When possible he prefers to consume beef, iced tea, and cornbread. He absolutely detests ticks.

Kot

• Bay Watcher
  • 2 Patriotic 4 U
    • View Profile
    • Tiny Pixel Soldiers
« Reply #2786 on: October 14, 2016, 09:56:20 am »

Aren't tech groups not a thing anymore?
Kot finishes his morning routine in the same way he always does, by burning a scale replica of Saint Basil's Cathedral on the windowsill.

USEC_OFFICER

• Bay Watcher
  • Pulls the strings and makes them ring.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2787 on: October 14, 2016, 10:07:21 am »

They are still a thing, last I checked. However they're mostly for determining which units you get and have no bearing on technology costs. In fact, I don't think you can even westernize any more. I can't find it looking over the various status/government screens and the Westernize by decision for Eastern/Anatolian tech groups doesn't seem to appear either. Make of that what you will.

Persus13

• Bay Watcher
  • 6th King of the Mafia
    • View Profile
« Reply #2788 on: October 14, 2016, 12:50:17 pm »

Also the achievements involving Westernization for Cherokee, Steppe Hordes, and Inca now require that you embrace all institutions instead.
Congratulations Persus, now you are forced to have the same personal text for an entire year!
Longbowmen horsearcher doomstacks that suffer no attrition and can navigate all major rivers without ships.
Sigtext

Rex_Nex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2789 on: October 14, 2016, 05:42:55 pm »

I think it also factors into tech discount (-5% per tech behind the leader in your tech group), but I might be wrong there.
Pages: 1 ... 184 185 [186] 187 188 ... 216