Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 206 207 [208] 209 210 ... 216

Author Topic: Europa Universalis IV  (Read 447294 times)

WealthyRadish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Europa Universalis IV
« Reply #3105 on: January 24, 2018, 12:35:10 am »

This looks interesting. I'll be curious what they consider "extensively" moddable.
« Last Edit: January 24, 2018, 12:43:38 am by UrbanGiraffe »

Urist McScoopbeard

• Bay Watcher
  • Damnit Scoopz!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3106 on: January 24, 2018, 02:25:07 am »

Speaking of extensive modding, has anyone every created an accessible map and/or nation editor and/or mod builder for the EU series?
This conversation is getting disturbing fast, disturbingly erotic.

Not good with names

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3107 on: February 06, 2018, 05:33:48 pm »

So, felt like playing some EU  over the past week and have a pretty interesting Kongo game going right now.  This is actually my second attempt at Kongo recently (and I won't feign being very good at the game), the first I ended after being tossed around by colonial powers after a decent opening (I even had Kongolese Brazil for a while).  This time I around I focused a little more defensively, took expansion over exploration as my first Idea so I wouldn't be distracted by any new world shenanigans, and built a fair amount of fortresses so I could make sure that if any colonial powers wanted a piece of me it was going to be quite painful. 

And then I waited.  and waited.  I think it was around 1550 when the first European colony touched down, and as of my current save it's 1630 and there are only 6 European colonies in Africa at all.  While I certainly am playing a little part in this (I slowly but surely took up most of the prime ivory coast territory, but since I was playing very defensively I didn't start settling Ivory coast until 1500+), something else was at play.  Taking a look at the save screen, there's actually nothing very remarkable about Europe, Tunis ate morocco but everyone seems pretty normal.  South America is a different story entirely.  Musica has 10+ provinces from Panama down into Colombia, Tapuia has 5 provinces and then there's the 14 province Tupis who appear to be farming Portguese colonies.  I thought that was pretty cool, though hurtful that the South American AI is probably playing a better game than I am at this point.

Anyway, a couple questions if anyone feels like venturing an opinion. 

How do you cope with tribal governments?  Should you revolt to feudal goverments as soon as possible?  I really would prefer to have more states but I am having trouble finding the time to drop the 400-600 admin while keeping up with the rest of the world (And my military points, which I am having a hard time spending without triggering unbalanced research).

Also, trade routes.  Since I control most of the ivory coast, should I move my capital to a province on the coast and push all my African trade to there? I really hate having a coastal capital but if it makes a huge difference between collecting in both Congo and ivory coast vs. collecting exclusively in Ivory and steering trade everywhere else then I'd consider it. 

USEC_OFFICER

• Bay Watcher
  • Pulls the strings and makes them ring.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3108 on: February 06, 2018, 06:26:15 pm »

I have no idea how to cope with tribal governments (my initial reaction is to get out of them ASAP though) but I have a better grasp on trade.

Transferring trade power upstream is extremely inefficient, so always be collecting on the furthest downstream node you can reach regardless of any other factors. Use a merchant if you have to.

Whether to collect or steer trade is dependent on the relative percentage of the trade power you have in the node and adjacent nodes. If you have 75% of trade power in a node then it doesn't matter whether that power is equal to 3000 or 3. The effects are the same. Your capital (or main trade city if you have the Wealth of Nations DLC) collects more efficiently than merchants, so the ideal scenario is to transfer all trade to the home node and collect from there. However the ideal scenario is one where you have 100% trade power in the nodes you're steering from. As a general rule of thumb:
  • Steer trade if you dominate the node you're steering towards or that node is already steering trade to a node you dominate and/or collect from.
  • Collect trade otherwise.
By dominate a node I mean that you have a significant proportion of trade power in that node. Ideally 100% but anything above 50% could count depending the situation. If you don't dominate the Ivory Coast node then don't bother moving your capital/whatever. Collecting from trade is going to be slightly more efficient and won't cost you Monarch Points.

FantasticDorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3109 on: February 07, 2018, 11:12:50 am »

Im positively hyped for the new "Rule Britannia" immersion pack.

> Highlander ideas courtesy of (gaeldom shared?) heberdies "lordship of the isles" new tag.

> Cornish ideas (and part of a unit model pack)

> No word on possible welsh unit models or idea restructuring, but ill be using the packs features to full effect.

Prussian monarchy with highlander charges, delightful.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #3110 on: February 08, 2018, 11:43:59 am »

Im positively hyped for the new "Rule Britannia" immersion pack.

> Highlander ideas courtesy of (gaeldom shared?) heberdies "lordship of the isles" new tag.

> Cornish ideas (and part of a unit model pack)

> No word on possible welsh unit models or idea restructuring, but ill be using the packs features to full effect.

Prussian monarchy with highlander charges, delightful.
inb4 in the hundred years war, Scotland kills England and France
Shock phases will never be the same again

Bob69Joe

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3111 on: February 08, 2018, 04:50:23 pm »

Does someone mess around with the console and know how to fire events? I'm doing a Zoroastrian Persia and it's 1450, just in time for the Renaissance to fire. The event id is institution_event.2. So I typed "event institution_event.2 416" 416 being the province where thecZoroastrian religion is present at the start of the game. The Renaissance fires and Persia gets the monarch points and prestige, but the event says, "Any/all gets 'Birthplace of the Renaissance." In fact, no province gets the modifier and none has embraced it. Anyone figure this out?

USEC_OFFICER

• Bay Watcher
  • Pulls the strings and makes them ring.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3112 on: February 08, 2018, 04:59:30 pm »

My guess is that the event doesn't actually spawn the Renaissance. The Renaissance spawns in some province and then triggers the event. A quick look through the institutions.txt suggests that the event is mostly the pop-up about the Renaissance occurring. The fact that 'Any/All province' showed up but the 'Birthplace of the Renaissance' modifier did not makes me even more inclined to say this.

ZeroGravitas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3113 on: February 08, 2018, 07:00:46 pm »

Does someone mess around with the console and know how to fire events? I'm doing a Zoroastrian Persia and it's 1450, just in time for the Renaissance to fire. The event id is institution_event.2. So I typed "event institution_event.2 416" 416 being the province where thecZoroastrian religion is present at the start of the game. The Renaissance fires and Persia gets the monarch points and prestige, but the event says, "Any/all gets 'Birthplace of the Renaissance." In fact, no province gets the modifier and none has embraced it. Anyone figure this out?

That event doesn't target a province, so telling it to target a province is useless. Further, that even fires when the Renaissance has actually already spawned somewhere; it's the event that tells the world the Renaissance has begun.

Culise

• Bay Watcher
  • General Nuisance
    • View Profile
« Reply #3114 on: February 08, 2018, 08:04:13 pm »

While I have no idea whatsoever if it'll work, poking around the big list of console commands suggests that embrace [ProvinceID] [InstitutionName] may do what you wish.  You'll need the province ID of the province you wish to spawn it in and the name in the code (not the localization text) for the Renaissance institution.

I suppose I should note that it may horribly break the institution spawn and spread in the game because it might bypass the game's method for institution activation.  I highly doubt something like that will happen, and I expect you know all of this if you're already mucking about in the console to trigger events, but caveat fraudator. 
« Last Edit: February 08, 2018, 08:06:47 pm by Culise »

ZeroGravitas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3115 on: February 09, 2018, 10:19:56 am »

While I have no idea whatsoever if it'll work, poking around the big list of console commands suggests that embrace [ProvinceID] [InstitutionName] may do what you wish.  You'll need the province ID of the province you wish to spawn it in and the name in the code (not the localization text) for the Renaissance institution.

yeah, this should be the correct method for cheat-spawning renaissance in the province you want. "embrace 416 renaissance"

if not it wouldn't be hard to make a tiny mod that does.

Glloyd

• Bay Watcher
  • Against the Tide
    • View Profile
« Reply #3116 on: February 14, 2018, 03:32:47 am »

Has anyone converted a savegame from CKII to EUIV since Jade Dragon came out? What kind of wonky shit happens with China? I can't seem to find actual concrete information on it anywhere.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #3117 on: February 14, 2018, 06:34:55 am »

I haven't tried but I really sort of want to just start a CK2 game as observer and let it run itself through to the end date on max speed then import it to EU4 and see what kind of weird shit happens. Just pick one of the countries and go, with no context or idea how it formed

Tawa

• Bay Watcher
  • the first mankind all over the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #3118 on: February 19, 2018, 10:54:47 pm »

Thinking I'll give MEIOU & Taxes a shot. Anything I need to know that the wiki fails to mention?
I don't use Bay12 much anymore. PM me if you need to get in touch with me and I'll send you my Discord handle.

ZeroGravitas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3119 on: February 20, 2018, 06:55:05 pm »

Does the Wiki mention how it slows the game to hell and back?

all the best paradox game mods are unplayable because of how much they slow the game
Pages: 1 ... 206 207 [208] 209 210 ... 216