Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 207 208 [209] 210 211 ... 216

Author Topic: Europa Universalis IV  (Read 445167 times)

Tawa

• Bay Watcher
  • the first mankind all over the world
    • View Profile
Re: Europa Universalis IV
« Reply #3120 on: February 20, 2018, 06:56:08 pm »

Wiki doesn't mention it, but I heard about that beforehand. Hoping it won't be too bad; the stuff I'm hearing implies that it starts off at an absolute crawl but speeds up considerably afterward.
I don't use Bay12 much anymore. PM me if you need to get in touch with me and I'll send you my Discord handle.

Not good with names

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3121 on: February 24, 2018, 04:59:10 pm »

Got a run as Tunis going and it was an interesting tallish sort of run.  Was able to secure an alliance with the Ottomans early on, but I wasn't really able to expand in the Maghreb at all on account of distant wars malus and a surprisingly strong 15th century Morocco that had conquered all but the northern most portuguese provinces.  My gains were limited to the Mediterranean islands (and not even Sicily at that) and the 3 provinces of Djerid.  With European AE and the pope calling crusades against me, I decided to strike out for the new world.  With the threat of the Ottomans (and my little bite sized allies that I'd never be able to diplomatically vassal grr), I basically sent my entire army over seas and was able to secure Brazil and Mexico with the sword (and surprisingly decent colonial nations, my Tunisian Brazil was able to drive the Portuguese off by themselves).  Add in a spell of weak legitimacy, terrible rulers and low manpower and the early game was kinda frustrating outside of the colonial game.

In the late 16th century the situation finally opened up for some north African aggression as a lack of league war in europe (France is the emperor haha) meant that Castile and Portugal were able to marshal their forces, so Morocco finally lost its Iberian holdings and most of the Atlantic coast.  With Berber hostile core creation being such a pain I opted to split the the Berbers between Moroccan and Touggartian Marches, but I'm pretty sure the 17th century opened with me at less than 200 development and maybe a 40 unit force limit, but totally filthy rich from colonies, with Lousiana, Eastern USA, Caribbean and California all adding their small bit along with my gigantic brazilian and Mexican holdings.  I'm pretty sure both Al-Brazila and Al-Azteca (those suck, but Allahfornia and Al-Alabama I stand by) actually eclipsed me in development for a time.

With Europe playing mostly hugbox and looking huge, and only the occasional Italian war to spend their manpower, even the ottomans were kicked out of Bulgaria while they were expanding into Egypt.  The worst part was realizing I actually didn't have much opportunity to raise absolutism, so Tunisia set its sights south.  Did a fair bit of blobbing, but nearing an empire and figured I'd share because the border gore is pretty nice.  And I spawned the Enlightement in Yao, which I found pretty funny. 

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

I went with a sort of strange idea order, Exploration->Aristocratic->Innovative->Diplomatic->Defensive->Influence.  I think if I had the choice I'd trade around Diplomatic and Influence, but it was pretty effective since I was really only fighting New World enemies for much of the early game.  The vassal force limit booster would've been pretty nice earlier, but overall I didn't mind this combo so much.  Cheap advisors and heavily discounted tech made development a thing without worrying about falling behind, and a fleet of galleys was basically all the protection I needed (and blockade spoils were no small thing either early).
« Last Edit: February 24, 2018, 06:33:06 pm by Not good with names »

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #3122 on: February 25, 2018, 07:09:16 pm »

Thinking I'll give MEIOU & Taxes a shot. Anything I need to know that the wiki fails to mention?
Playing as most minors outside of the HRE, Italy or China really sucks. The population mechanic makes it so that small nations absolutely cannot play tall, they will be crushed if they cannot expand or get the required income to increase education and outfit a small, elite army. The problem is there are very few nations which can afford these expenses, while expanding is for most nations going to be slower than playing as Jains in CK2. For example in Anatolia there are numerous minors, from the Romans, to the Serbian Empire, to the Crusader States, to the Anatolian Beyliks and the Merchant Republics.
However none of these states will ever be able to expand, because in the time it would take for them to field an army and annex any of their neighbours, the Ottomans will have become a world power and destroyed them. This is because MEIOU & Taxes likes making more historical outcomes, which is really nice when it is from simulating the factors which resulted in such a rise - but not so fun or interesting when it is just one tag having less mechanical barriers than other states. Thus while I played Ottomans I quickly annexed everyone with no trouble, as I had access to a CB which gave me claims to everything and allowed me to annex everyone with 0 AE using war dynamism. Most states could not survive a single battle against me, and I grew incredibly quickly. Upon expanding to Ottoman's historical borders however, I kinda just got stuck there. Conversely while playing as Knights, I found that I struggled to outfit an army of 6,000 men without breaking the economy. Improving Rhodes was impossible, while my economy depended upon two land based cities. This forced me to go on the offensive, but I quickly found that while I could win many battles with my small, elite fighting force - I could rarely conquer anyone, as touching two provinces would spawn a coalition, and it usually took years to get a CB. This contrasted with the AI Ottomans who were rolling through Greece and Anatolia with absolutely zero limitations.

You might think there may still be some fun in the challenge, of waging a long campaign against such an asymmetrically favoured foe - one which can just claim your territory and annex it while you're fighting, while you cannot do the same in reverse. But, if the game isn't crashing every year, even the most powerful enemies can be destroyed by running a highly-developed, well-defended (in this case, by my navy), educated state, fighting to kill the enemy, not win. Once they run out of manpower they have to hire mercs, but with loans starting off with 10% interest, it doesn't take long for the AI to max out on loans and bankrupt. This led to the rather disheartening scenario where I could defeat the gratuitously large Ottomans and Mamlukes whilst barely keeping my economy afloat, but I couldn't afford to take any provinces from them - whether it was because I couldn't afford the AE, or I couldn't literally afford to hold the province.

Playing as a European or Asian state that isn't in the firing line of a historical power however, the game comes into its own as just dank beans all round. One of my most fun runs has been the Papal State - making that most difficult climb of returning to Rome, annexing the vassals and playing a complex diplomatic game towards unifying Italy. It gives you a hell of a lot to do in peace time, in administration and development, and is really where the game absolutely shines. Communication efficiency, population encouragement and estate management is the game's bread and butter. You genuinely feel like a sovereign Dorf Fortress overlord managing a state, in the sense that you are not making things happen - you are telling people what needs to be done, and hoping they implement it well.

Rex_Nex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3123 on: April 02, 2018, 05:09:19 pm »

Ruined my Fezzan Corridors run, which is rather disheartening because it took me seven tries to get this one going. Conquered all of North Africa, all of Egypt, and most of Iberia as Fezzan -> Tripoli -> Tunis, then decided to take the Mamluk government because who doesn't want great sultans? As it turns out, that sets me as a historical rival to the Ottomans. The Ottomans I have been feeding land to all game, and my only ally in a world where everyone with even a drop of power hates me. That "No longer desires you as ally" notification was heart-wrenching.

Cue 400,000 Turks in Cairo and my 7th abandoned run.
« Last Edit: April 02, 2018, 05:11:18 pm by Rex_Nex »

Urist McScoopbeard

• Bay Watcher
  • Damnit Scoopz!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3124 on: April 02, 2018, 05:18:12 pm »

Ah, I just did something a bit similar! I own basically all of Africa as Tunis and after channeling as much trade as possible through the dark continent I have an income that supports ~500k troops! I'm also playing with the unlimited vassals and early client states mod so cue another 500k troops in allied regiments. I've vassalized Iberia and Italy and after the turn of the 17th century have found myself rivaled with the Superpowered Ottomans. I've managed to start taking Arabia from them with the help of Hungary and all of Europe however.
This conversation is getting disturbing fast, disturbingly erotic.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #3125 on: April 02, 2018, 09:26:34 pm »

Ruined my Fezzan Corridors run, which is rather disheartening because it took me seven tries to get this one going. Conquered all of North Africa, all of Egypt, and most of Iberia as Fezzan -> Tripoli -> Tunis, then decided to take the Mamluk government because who doesn't want great sultans? As it turns out, that sets me as a historical rival to the Ottomans. The Ottomans I have been feeding land to all game, and my only ally in a world where everyone with even a drop of power hates me. That "No longer desires you as ally" notification was heart-wrenching.

Cue 400,000 Turks in Cairo and my 7th abandoned run.
In EU4 the only true ally you have is the one you can turn into a vassal. Much of the rising powers in EU4 were not destroyed by their enemies; but by their allies.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #3126 on: April 03, 2018, 07:11:49 am »

Got a frustrating run this time. I was going for a Qing run, and I took Ming down in one long, costly, bloody war that also brought me to the edge (but I was able to bounce back and theye not due to the mandate mechanic). Cue Ava attacking Ming and stealing the Mandate of Heaven from the mess of rebelling rebels that Ming was, before going down due to low mandate themselves. Before I realized it, they were being annexed, and I couldn't attack them for the Mandate since they were on the other side of China.

And now there is no mandate of heaven for me to take...

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

Tawa

• Bay Watcher
  • the first mankind all over the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #3127 on: April 04, 2018, 04:45:28 pm »

Bit off topic, but probably the best thread for it: is EU Rome any good? I've taken an interest in Roman history as of late and the game sounds interesting, but I'm seeing it has middling reviews(though good critic scores.)
« Last Edit: April 04, 2018, 06:42:08 pm by Tawa »
I don't use Bay12 much anymore. PM me if you need to get in touch with me and I'll send you my Discord handle.

MCreeper

• Bay Watcher
  • My bus is late
    • View Profile
« Reply #3128 on: April 05, 2018, 02:12:37 am »

Personally, i feel that it was horrible attempt at mashing europa universalis, crusader kings and victoria together. So, if you play as Rome, you play as Rome, but you have constantly changing ruler character (democracy!) with some traits and opinions of other characters. But since ruler changes every 4 years or so (don't remember how much exactly), you can't see any effets of it all, influence it, or care about it. Didn't tried anyone except Rome, though.
« Last Edit: April 05, 2018, 02:14:52 am by MCreeper »

sambojin

• Bay Watcher
  • Three seconds to catsplosion and counting.......
    • View Profile
« Reply #3129 on: June 30, 2018, 09:44:30 pm »

Arumba is updating his smartr AI MOD for Euiv. Was watching him tinker with it last night on his stream. Turns out Paradox didn't grab what he thought we some of the more important bits (smarter fort placement, always forts in capitals, better manpower buildings like barracks/shipyards when nearing cap, less "useless" buildings like courthouses in capital, etc). Hopefully be finished over the next few days/weeks.

Might bring a bit more challenge to big conquests etc, once he's worked out what's going on under the hood.
It's a game. Have fun.

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
  • I vibrate, I die, I vibrate again
    • View Profile
« Reply #3130 on: July 12, 2018, 03:42:30 pm »

Got a frustrating run this time. I was going for a Qing run, and I took Ming down in one long, costly, bloody war that also brought me to the edge (but I was able to bounce back and theye not due to the mandate mechanic). Cue Ava attacking Ming and stealing the Mandate of Heaven from the mess of rebelling rebels that Ming was, before going down due to low mandate themselves. Before I realized it, they were being annexed, and I couldn't attack them for the Mandate since they were on the other side of China.

And now there is no mandate of heaven for me to take...
I don't even play this game anymore, but can I just say that sounds like a very inaccurate portrayal of the Mandate of Heaven.
"T-take this non-euclidean geometry, h-humanity-baka. I m-made it, but not because I l-li-l-like you or anything! I just felt s-sorry for you, b-baka."
You misspelled seance.  Are possessing Draignean?  Are you actually a ghost in the shell? You have to tell us if you are, that's the rule

dennislp3

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3131 on: July 15, 2018, 08:24:34 am »

Bit off topic, but probably the best thread for it: is EU Rome any good? I've taken an interest in Roman history as of late and the game sounds interesting, but I'm seeing it has middling reviews(though good critic scores.)

Due to how EU Rome turned out I am hoping that the new rome based game that Paradox is releasing can nail it down a little better...time will tell

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3132 on: August 02, 2018, 04:04:53 pm »

Anyone know why I can't embrace the printing press? I'm England and have well over 10% of my development under "present" printing press provinces.

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3133 on: August 03, 2018, 01:17:44 pm »

Bumping because I quite literally can't continue my game without wiping hundreds of monarch points until this is solved.

ZeroGravitas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3134 on: August 03, 2018, 01:25:37 pm »

doesn't it still cost cash?
Pages: 1 ... 207 208 [209] 210 211 ... 216