Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 208 209 [210] 211 212 ... 216

Author Topic: Europa Universalis IV  (Read 445078 times)

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Europa Universalis IV
« Reply #3135 on: August 03, 2018, 01:37:14 pm »

I don't even have the option to embrace it.

Persus13

• Bay Watcher
  • 6th King of the Mafia
    • View Profile
« Reply #3136 on: August 03, 2018, 01:54:44 pm »

Screenshots?
Congratulations Persus, now you are forced to have the same personal text for an entire year!
Longbowmen horsearcher doomstacks that suffer no attrition and can navigate all major rivers without ships.
Sigtext

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3137 on: August 03, 2018, 03:49:58 pm »

After further inspection, I have come to the conclusion I am a dumbass. This being my first game with institutions, I somehow ended up with the memory that the "Embrace" button would be under my capital's institution screen, and I've been relying on the popup to access the proper screen. I thought it was broken because apparently 1400 ducats isn't enough 0_0. I need 1900.

Persus13

• Bay Watcher
  • 6th King of the Mafia
    • View Profile
« Reply #3138 on: August 03, 2018, 03:52:24 pm »

it's based on your development amount. If more provinces embrace the institution the cost will be cheaper.
Congratulations Persus, now you are forced to have the same personal text for an entire year!
Longbowmen horsearcher doomstacks that suffer no attrition and can navigate all major rivers without ships.
Sigtext

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3139 on: August 03, 2018, 04:44:18 pm »

Yep, half my development was embraced (I am Great Britain and Aragon ate my new world competition)

ZeroGravitas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3140 on: September 04, 2018, 05:50:59 pm »

Wanted to take a look at this after not playing for a year or 18 months.

$70 in goddamn DLC. $70.

So among:

Dharma
Rule Brittania
Cradle of Civilization
Mandate of Heaven

What's the best to get? I'm probably looking at Eastern/Central Europe, like the Serbia achievement or something.

Rex_Nex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3141 on: September 04, 2018, 06:06:57 pm »

Of those, Cradle of Civilization. None of them would have a huge impact on a game in central/eastern Europe though. Cradle just has some nice QoL that you wouldn't be getting with MoH or Rule Brittania.

Can't say what Dharma will be like. We just got the patchnotes today. Not a whole lot of QoL, but the government reforms could end up being somewhat fun for all nations.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #3142 on: September 04, 2018, 06:24:43 pm »

In order from least to most worthy of getting:

Rule Britannia
-Adds exclusive missions and fluff to the British Isles.
-Adds naval policies (doesn't change the game much at all, Naval combat pretty much still remains a game of "who picked maritime ideas").
-Adds innovativeness (basically a tech reduction cost for being advanced in tech).
-Adds Anglicanism, a horrifying amalgamation of protestantism and catholicism. Plays like catholicism on steroids with no Papal rivals.
-Adds industrial revolutions, where high development provinces swap low value trade goods for coal.

Generally speaking, this DLC doesn't affect campaigns outside of the English Channel trade node all that much. It's like Third Rome or Purple Phoenix, where it's very specific to a government or nation you really enjoy playing. Low priority DLC unless you really enjoy English Channel games.

Mandate of Heaven
-Historical ages and golden eras provide bonuses specific to certain time periods, and tend to have synergies with powers which were historically significant in that time period. Significantly changes the outcome of games.
-Diplomatic actions are made a hell of a lot easier to manage with their own menu. Easily one of the best things about this expansion.
-Peaceful provinces get prosperity bonuses.
-Eastern Asian nations get loads of unique mechanics to religion, state and army.

Cradle of Civilisation

-Adds loads of new governments with unique mechanics or decisions in the Middle East region, adds more historical fluff events for those nations/empires.
-Islamic Schools, which act like subsects within Islam and provide unique perks/affect international relations.
-Unlocks trade policies, which affect every nation in the game tremendously, as trade policies are pretty powerful in the hands of a player.
-Unlocks army professionalism: Massively alters the combat of the game by making professional armies drawn from manpower with max maintenance at all times viable (even with mass losses).
-Unlocks exploitation of development, which is basically a reverse of development.
-Unlocks the use of missionaries on vassal provinces.

The last four are good reasons to get COC, which significantly impact all campaigns even if they're outside the middle east.

I don't know about Dharma though

ZeroGravitas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3143 on: September 06, 2018, 10:02:52 pm »

Wooo to procrastinating on decisions! Everything I just mentioned is 50% off! (Except Dharma, obviously)

so the answer is now "all 3 that are on sale"

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #3144 on: September 07, 2018, 06:34:29 am »

I´d been considering EUIV, but I´ve realized that I like CK2 better as low fantasy//secret history, and EUIV would probably fail to scratch that itch...
There's two kinds of performance reviews: the one you make they don't read, the one they make whilst they sharpen their daggers
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

ZeroGravitas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3145 on: September 07, 2018, 07:58:39 am »

I´d been considering EUIV, but I´ve realized that I like CK2 better as low fantasy//secret history, and EUIV would probably fail to scratch that itch...

Yeah, EU4 has none of that. 90% wargaming with 10% nationbuilding.

Digital Hellhound

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3146 on: October 29, 2018, 05:35:35 am »

Figured I’d do a nice slow HRE game as Bavaria, limited expansion at most, mess around with my fellow princes, maybe enjoy a fun Religious War. Well, the Reformation had other plans - more successful than I’ve ever seen it, it flooded the HRE blue and went on from there. France? Protestant. Poland? Reformed. The only Catholic powers left by the end of the Age were the Nordics, Spain, Hungary and Naples.

Now, things got even more fun. The electors ran out of Catholic emperor options inside the HRE and voted for a blobbed mega-Hungary instead. The end result - all of the Balkans are now part of the HRE (I didn’t actually know that the Emperor’s lands joined the HRE, nifty). We Protestants easily win the League war nevertheless, leaving Hungary as the only long-term Catholic prince. And who do the electors turn to in this new gloriously Protestant realm? Yours truly, Bavaria supreme!

I decided to play the Good Emperor, liberating HRE states whenever possible, enforcing Protestant unity, generally bringing about a golden age for small Central European states. I was never personally too powerful, but my mass of allies and sometimes desperate military successes kept me Emperor and the HRE in decent shape. A member of the HRE was never actually directly attacked by an outside power, which was a bit of a shame. I could really have used that Authority reward.

Well, time goes on, I generally keep HRE states weak - I took great pleasure in dismembering Hungary over time and releasing all the Balkan minors - with the exception of my ally Brandenburg, who limits their conquests largely to outside the realm. Authority gain is a trickle at first, but gradually increases as I pass reforms and liberate HRE turf from Poles and Italians. And lo behold! I unite a massive HRE that stretches from Denmark to a stone’s throw from Constantinople. I look upon my loyal, adoring 36 vassals (Prussia being the only refusal) and feel content.

Then I inherited it and they all disappeared into a grey mass... ah, regrets. This was a very enjoyable ’slow, limited-expansion’ game. To be fair, I only expanded for like ten provinces total before the unification.
Russia is simply taking an anti-Fascist stance against European Nazi products, they should be applauded. ¡No parmesan!

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #3147 on: October 29, 2018, 07:07:38 am »

The Emperor will usually always try adding their land to the HRE, but it isn't automatically added. They need a land connection to add their land to the Empire, you usually see this when Spain becomes Emperor and they can add their French/Italian/Dutch provinces but not Spain unless they establish a land border

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3148 on: January 24, 2019, 10:28:14 pm »

So I was sieging a fort and my army was attacked, I watch the battle and see that I have the negative terrain modifier and am the attacker??? I recently installed the final DLCs I've been missing so I'm wondering if something in those now makes all battles over sieged territory automatically in favor of the owner?

Persus13

• Bay Watcher
  • 6th King of the Mafia
    • View Profile
« Reply #3149 on: January 24, 2019, 11:29:13 pm »

Battles on a province with a fort give defender bonuses to the nation that controls the fort. I believe its from a patch that's years old now.
« Last Edit: January 25, 2019, 09:27:44 am by Persus13 »
Sigtext
Pages: 1 ... 208 209 [210] 211 212 ... 216