Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 213 214 [215] 216

Author Topic: Europa Universalis IV  (Read 448160 times)

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
Re: Europa Universalis IV
« Reply #3210 on: September 09, 2021, 04:39:11 pm »

Heh, so I'm necroing this to actually discuss Europa Universalis IV, and the last post is my discussion of being OK with the DLC policy, whereas now I'm cringing as I look at all the money that EUIV wants from me to fill out the game.  I've only got the basic game that I picked up for a couple bucks as part of a bundle.
I'm chewing on my words, and the taste is bitter...

Anyways, did you know that you could play on Pluto?

It's incomplete, it's a struggle to get going, and once you've got it going you're overpowered since the AI really can't figure it out.  But it's FUN.

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3211 on: September 09, 2021, 07:30:46 pm »

I'm surprised that the prices for video games have stayed so stable as technology has absolutely exploded, and am positive that some games could and should be worth more than $60 for the effort put into them, and DLC is a valid way of adding content for money...  As long as it's an equivalent amount of gameplay. And that's where I don't like Paradox's DLC. Too often it's far too little/buggy content for way too much money. And they seem to sometimes break their vanilla game to allow for the DLC. There is a reason so many of their DLCs get huge negative reviews.

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3212 on: September 09, 2021, 08:36:05 pm »

Well, now that I'm in the position of having the base game and no DLCs, instead of having picked up the DLCs all along, it certainly is different.  I mean, I attribute the DLCs as the reason that I got over 1000 hours out of CK2, but now it seems like I'm playing half a game with EUIV.  I'm not really seeing the $20 value in most of them.  Probably the one that randomizes stuff, and the one that I seem to need to get the CK2 to EUIV fan-made converter to work, possibly Rights of Man (since that one seems to come up the most in the wiki).  The rest, I guess maybe if I really want to play a particular part of the world.  I dunno.

But on the the reason I necro'd this beast: Play Pluto?  Good Dog, or Stinks of Hades?  :P

DeKaFu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3213 on: March 26, 2022, 11:22:25 am »

This is a necro but probably worth it.

Humble Bundle is currently doing a bundle with all of the DLC (except for "Europa Universalis IV: Origins", that's just a coupon) for around $20.

https://www.humblebundle.com/games/europa-universalis-iv-complete

So if you've ever wanted to get any of the DLC for this game, this is absolutely the best deal you're likely to encounter. The bundle's up for another 18 days as of this post.

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3214 on: March 26, 2022, 02:01:12 pm »

Damn.... I've already got most of the gameplay DLC.

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
  • And lo, the Dude did abide. And it was good.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3215 on: March 26, 2022, 02:17:59 pm »

Say, I haven't played this in six years or so. All I had back then was Res Publica and Wealth of Nations.
If it's at all possible to summarise, how much of a difference do the remaining DLCs make?

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #3216 on: March 26, 2022, 02:45:23 pm »

Worth getting if you like the game.  By the time you relearn everything and play just 1 campaign itll be worth your money at $20
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3217 on: March 26, 2022, 11:28:22 pm »

Thanks for bringing this up. EU4 looks like swiss cheese without the various DLCs, and I can't make heads or tails of what does what.

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3218 on: March 26, 2022, 11:29:36 pm »

Say, I haven't played this in six years or so. All I had back then was Res Publica and Wealth of Nations.
If it's at all possible to summarise, how much of a difference do the remaining DLCs make?

I'm not sure what those two DLCs are, but I know there are a LOT of DLCs, and they change a lot. Maybe drop by Arumba or Quill18 and watch their most recent EU4 series. See all the mechanisms they use that you aren't familiar with. That's what got me interested in the DLCs.

Radsoc

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3219 on: March 27, 2022, 01:19:29 am »

For 20 it's a no brainer IMO. I bought them all for ten times or more that price. They are vital to the game feeling detailed and complex enough.
"The hand-mill gives you society with the feudal lord; the steam-mill society with the industrial capitalist."

"To punish the oppressors of humanity is clemency; to forgive them is cruelty. The severity of tyrants has barbarity for its principle; that of a republican government is founded on beneficence."

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3220 on: March 30, 2022, 01:21:24 pm »

1) I keeps seeing a thing called absolutism when I give privileges to the estates. But for the love of me I can't find it displayed anywhere, or know what it does.
2) has this always had power metal as the soundtrack, or is this something from the dlcs?

Persus13

• Bay Watcher
  • 6th King of the Mafia
    • View Profile
« Reply #3221 on: March 30, 2022, 01:49:26 pm »

1. Absolutism is a mid to late game variable that doesn't come into play until the titular Age of Absolutism in the 1600s. The main benefit is it reduces coring costs and increases army discipline. As I recall its shown somewhere in the Government tab, and iirc you should see where it will be listed from the start, just as a ?? until it actually becomes used. Here's the wiki page on it: https://eu4.paradoxwikis.com/Absolutism

2. The metal soundtracks are from the Guns Drums and Steel series of DLCs, although there's also a Sabaton DLC. The first of those DLCs was 2014, though, so they've been around for awhile.
Congratulations Persus, now you are forced to have the same personal text for an entire year!
Longbowmen horsearcher doomstacks that suffer no attrition and can navigate all major rivers without ships.
Sigtext

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3222 on: April 21, 2022, 07:58:04 am »

Anyone here experienced in playing the early hordes? I'm reading guides on Oirat, and they suggest fighting it out with Ming from the get-go as a viable, if not primary, strategy. But I just don't see how it can be done. I can win an occasional battle with the nice ruler-commander and nomad shock bonus, if I manage to catch a relatively small detachment alone and far away from support. But by and large, the ~100k active manpower ends up dogpiling on my ~30k before most battles conclude, and I end up losing hard.
What am I doing wrong here?

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #3223 on: April 21, 2022, 08:06:49 am »

iirc you get a lot of event warscore from taking the capital
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

Mkok

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3224 on: April 21, 2022, 09:39:58 am »

I played as manchuria once few dlcs back, and fighting ming was difficult but doable. I used all cavalry armies, and pushed for every advantage possible. Ideal time for war is just when you tech up and they still didnt, ideally when you also upgrade your troops. Cavalry is much better then infantry, plus if you use your shock bonus on plains and fight enemy before they stack up it aint that difficult.
Pages: 1 ... 213 214 [215] 216