Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6

Author Topic: Adventurer Needed, apply within!  (Read 21989 times)

Pie Maker

• Bay Watcher
  • [DOES_NOT_MAKE_PIES]
    • View Profile
Re: Adventurer Needed, apply within!
« Reply #45 on: February 22, 2013, 11:31:41 am »

Downloaded the save, might have a go at this.
"W-w-w-w-what do you want?"
"...MORTAL. I COMMAND THEE. BRING ME CHEESE."

EBannion

• Bay Watcher
  • Visit my Blog, www.elleshaped.com
    • View Profile
    • ElleShaped
« Reply #46 on: February 22, 2013, 12:32:36 pm »

Post to watch. Might take a crack at this, even if it's not canon. I find I love fighting the HFS in adventure mode, always wanted to try with an FB. This is 31.25 you say?

Nope; the old one was, 'cause that was the latest version back then.

Bronzebanners is in 34.11 via the lazy newb pack.
Torturing Dwarves to death since 2007

Bloax

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: February 22, 2013, 02:06:51 pm »

The newest one is basically your current setup in 34.11, because DF has this genius structure where all saves are completely individual worlds. And so you can just dump it in and play it.

oh_no

EBannion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • ElleShaped
« Reply #48 on: February 24, 2013, 03:55:14 pm »

So, those who accepted the challenge, how goes the project?

I'm eagerly awaiting news, whether good or bad - if you lose an adventurer at the site, feel free to put up that save too. The more events at the location, the more history to uncover!

Pirate Bob

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC: TORTURE_FOR_SCIENCE: ACCEPTABLE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: February 24, 2013, 04:26:19 pm »

I REALLY want to try this, but I don't think I have time right now  :(.  I am definitely interested in trying a future run though (a long way of saying posting to watch).

Edit - one thing: won't the goblins in the site be friendly to both adventurers and future reclaiming dwarves?  Or am I confused about that.  I am pretty sure I have tried something similar to this once and the goblins ended up being friendly.  I guess that really doesn't stop us from killing them, and killing them should quickly make them less friendly...
« Last Edit: February 24, 2013, 07:10:59 pm by Pirate Bob »

Bloax

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: February 24, 2013, 11:02:45 pm »

I'm currently being too lazy to progress after savescumming because passing out from a bolt to the arm you got while sleeping kind of sucks.

oh_no

Domicrow

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: February 25, 2013, 02:22:52 am »

I might try this aswell

Pirate Bob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: February 25, 2013, 10:44:16 pm »

Meh, what the heck.  Work is overrated...

I'm giving this a go.  How hard can goblins be... :P

EBannion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • ElleShaped
« Reply #53 on: February 25, 2013, 11:46:12 pm »

How hard can goblins be... :P

Well, let's put aside the fact that these particular goblins massacred my entire military; they also hunted down and systematically murdered more than 60 Dwarves living in the fortress, without suffering a single casualty, or even a major injury.

I'm sure it'll be easy.

Pirate Bob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: February 27, 2013, 08:23:35 am »

So, how does this work?  Do you want progress reports?  Or do you just want a journal after a successful attempt?  I guess I'll give a general overview of what I've been up to.  I have detailed notes that I can post if I succeed.

My first adventurer was a human axeman, who started quite close to the target.  Unfortunately, he was ambushed by bandits and killed in his sleep (I was testing a theory proposed a while back on a thread I can't remember that if you sneak before sleeping bandits won't attack you - seems that one's false...)

I am now using a marksdwarf, and being more careful.  I think he's now trained enough to deal with goblins (he took out a medium sized goblin bandit camp without problems).  I am moving him towards the fort now, but it's a ways off from where he is right now.  It will be somewhat slow going, as he needs to carry a huge pile of bolts, which are ridiculously heavy in this version...

EBannion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • ElleShaped
« Reply #55 on: February 27, 2013, 10:20:00 am »

So, how does this work?  Do you want progress reports?  Or do you just want a journal after a successful attempt?  I guess I'll give a general overview of what I've been up to.  I have detailed notes that I can post if I succeed.

Basically this. What I'd like would be: summaries of anything cool or very unfortunate that befalls any adventurers who are included in the save because they died before you won, and details on the experiences of the hero who succeeds.

If you want to do a full writeup like my 'Dimensional Sensing Project' diaries, I'd be happy to feature it, and if you just want to tell me what happened and have me do the write-up, that's cool too.

I'm stoked that you folks are having fun with this, and I'm looking forward to hearing how it goes when you get to the Bronzebanners site!

Pirate Bob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: February 27, 2013, 12:36:25 pm »

Basically this. What I'd like would be: summaries of anything cool or very unfortunate that befalls any adventurers who are included in the save because they died before you won, and details on the experiences of the hero who succeeds.
hmm...well my first adventurer won't be included in the save, as I started fresh from the original save after he died.  He had carried a largish number of bolts and good armor from the fort closest to the fortress site out into the wilderness where he was killed, and I felt like it would be nicer to future adventurers (including myself  :P) if these goodies weren't lost.  Also, nothing at all interesting happened with him.  He stole some loot from the fort, recruited a couple of companions, and then died the next night sleeping in the woods.  You know, like 90% of all adventurers  ;).

I won't be sleeping in the open with my current adventurer unless there is no other option, so he will hopefully live at least long enough to make it to the fort.  Like I mentioned earlier, he is trained up and has plenty of equipment, so I just need to move him to the fort.

Update:  I have arrived at Bronzebanners, and have found it almost deserted.  Do you have an idea how many goblins I am looking for?  So far I have killed 5 spearmen and 1 thief.  I will try to carefully sweep the entire site, but it's slow going as the massive number of items makes the FPS rather low in adventure mode.  I do agree that these goblin spearmen seem to be more skilled than average (they killed all my companions), but you can't kill what you can't see, and I don't intend to let them see me...
« Last Edit: February 27, 2013, 11:20:33 pm by Pirate Bob »

Pirate Bob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: March 01, 2013, 11:18:06 pm »

I have successfully liberated Kilrudzulban from the goblins, and placed the log of Tekkud Sirabkol as a Google doc.  I'm not sure if this is the style or length you are looking for, so feel free to edit it if you wish.  I also placed the save file on DFFD.

I killed seven goblin spearmen and one theif.  I openly walked around the site at least twice afterward, and it seems to be empty.  I then moved Tekkud back to a nearby human fortress and retired him.  Hopefully this is what you were looking for.  If you need me to do anything else, or if you think there are more goblins etc., please let me know.  If not, good luck with your fortress! 

EBannion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • ElleShaped
« Reply #58 on: March 01, 2013, 11:48:41 pm »

I have successfully liberated Kilrudzulban from the goblins, and placed the log of Tekkud Sirabkol as a Google doc.  I'm not sure if this is the style or length you are looking for, so feel free to edit it if you wish.  I also placed the save file on DFFD.

I killed seven goblin spearmen and one theif.  I openly walked around the site at least twice afterward, and it seems to be empty.  I then moved Tekkud back to a nearby human fortress and retired him.  Hopefully this is what you were looking for.  If you need me to do anything else, or if you think there are more goblins etc., please let me know.  If not, good luck with your fortress!

That's exactly what I was hoping for!

As far as I know, the ambush that finally took the fort down was seven spearmen. The previous ambush of swordsmen had decimated my military, and they just couldn't stand up to the spears.

I'm browsing the report and the save now, look for an update tomorrow - it's a little late to start a project tonight.

Thanks and I hope you had fun!

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
  • They/Them Life is weird
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: March 02, 2013, 12:28:41 am »

So what's the  current setup again? No longer a fort infested with HFS denizens from which we must retrieve an artifact shield?
Dwarf Souls: Prepare to Mine
Keep Me Safe - A Girl and Her Computer (Illustrated Game)
Darkest Garden - Illustrated game. - What mysteries lie in the abandoned dark?
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6