Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6

Author Topic: Adventurer Needed, apply within!  (Read 22019 times)

EBannion

• Bay Watcher
  • Visit my Blog, www.elleshaped.com
    • View Profile
    • ElleShaped
Re: Adventurer Needed, apply within!
« Reply #60 on: March 02, 2013, 12:30:45 am »

By the way, the lever in the dining room operates the floor spikes in the training room. I don't blame you for not noticing since they would've been out of LOS from where the lever is.

It's designed that way on purpose, so that the lever puller doesn't get distracted by any blood, impalements, or baby deaths he or she might witness.
Torturing Dwarves to death since 2007

EBannion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • ElleShaped
« Reply #61 on: March 02, 2013, 12:34:36 am »

So what's the  current setup again? No longer a fort infested with HFS denizens from which we must retrieve an artifact shield?

Well, currently the fort is alive - I just started the reclamation embark - thanks to the efforts of Pirate Bob and his adventurer, Tekkud Sirabkol.

It shouldn't be too long before another adventurer is needed, though - I have a tendency to underprepare military-wise, which will be exacerbated by actually wanting to lose this fort in a way that makes it interesting for an adventurer :)

If you keep your eye on my blog (www.elleshaped.com) you can follow the second embark to its conclusion, and join in the next reclamation attempt.

EBannion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • ElleShaped
« Reply #62 on: March 02, 2013, 01:42:57 am »

Well, a brief update - the reclaim is going well so far, though the starting seven are a little overwhelmed by the amount of work needed to put the fortress back into working order.

The biggest annoyance (other than food that drifted into the lower levels and is now rotting and letting out huge miasma clouds) is currently coping with the ghosts that keep popping up from the dead of the final collapse.

No goblins or any other hostile creatures around yet, just a trio of Hamster People. Doesn't get less threatening than hamstermen.

I hope that I get some migrants soon, or this work will take forever.

Pirate Bob

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC: TORTURE_FOR_SCIENCE: ACCEPTABLE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: March 02, 2013, 10:17:27 am »

I did have great fun hunting down the goblins.  Thanks for setting up this game!

I'm sorry about all the rotten food.  I should have collected it and put it in containers, as nothing rots in adventure mode and then it hopefully would have remained fresh for you.  Since it wasn't rotten, I didn't actually think about it...

If you would like future adventurers to collect a largish number of things for you during the next round, you could consider producing a few backpacks.  As you likely know, backpacks are treated as "bags of holding" in adventure mode.  I assume that you would be able to retrieve the contents in fortress mode?  If you're not sure, I can test that.

So what's the  current setup again? No longer a fort infested with HFS denizens from which we must retrieve an artifact shield?
In case it wasn't totally clear, the original fort with the artifact shield (which might have challenged even your abilities) was abandoned.  No one successfully managed to kill all the demons, and it is unclear if this is even possible in adventure mode or if they just respawn.  Also, it was mentioned that if you sleep or wait in the site a bug causes the FPS to go way down.  Also I'm not sure if artifacts actually show up in adventure mode.

The current fort had only 7 goblin spearmen and 1 thief (at least that I found).  I'm sure you could have killed them playing as a baby koala... ;).

EBannion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • ElleShaped
« Reply #64 on: March 02, 2013, 03:09:56 pm »

Success!

The post detailing Tekkud's exploits in reclaiming the fortress is up on my blog!

The reclaim has happened, and another post should follow later tonight or tomorrow to describe the Dwarves' return to Bronzebanners.

Kilrudzulban shall live again!

EBannion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • ElleShaped
« Reply #65 on: March 03, 2013, 02:12:39 am »

And just now, thanks to Tekkud's heroic efforts, a major milestone has been achieved - each and every one of the poor, departed dwarves from Bronzebanners has been memorialized by an engraved slab or by a grave.

Now the resettlers can turn their eyes and their picks to the future.

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
  • They/Them Life is weird
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: March 03, 2013, 03:15:46 am »

Yes, plant their picks in the delicious, nutritious future. With that wonderful bone crushing noise.
Dwarf Souls: Prepare to Mine
Keep Me Safe - A Girl and Her Computer (Illustrated Game)
Darkest Garden - Illustrated game. - What mysteries lie in the abandoned dark?

zooeyglass

• Bay Watcher
  • Melbil that!
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: April 13, 2013, 10:00:54 am »

PTW - this looks FANTASTIC.

It is a total pain in the butt, but you gotta do what you gotta do if you want that upright candy weapon.
Your suspicions are nothing more than superstition

EBannion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • ElleShaped
« Reply #68 on: April 13, 2013, 10:21:07 am »

I know I have been remiss in updating, but Kilrudzulban is still going strong - we just hit 200 live dwarves with about another 50 children / babies.

There hasn't been a goblin event that they couldn't handle yet. The worst thing that happened so far was a FB with poison dust which blisters all exposed skin. About half of my newest military squad is now blind and in agony.

Which is why I used them instead of the longest serving champions.

<grin>

Catsup

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: April 13, 2013, 12:08:49 pm »

dont artifacts disappear entirely if you abandon a fortress?

oh another note that is a pretty good shield, nice and light. i notice it has decorations of coal on it, does that mean if it somehow catches fire you now have a permanently flaming wall of fire for a shield? (since artifacts never burn out) and would bashing enemies set them ablaze?

EBannion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • ElleShaped
« Reply #70 on: April 13, 2013, 01:17:43 pm »

Artifacts are bugged so that you ca'n't find them most of the time in Adventure Mode now, yeah. Sadly.

Also, the only thing that the game checks in terms of flammability and the like is the base item material. Decorations wo'n't be affected.

Also also, light is actually bad for shields because it doesn't change their blocking chance but it does make the damage from shield bashing much lower. Heh.

MrWillsauce

• Bay Watcher
  • Has an ass that won't quit
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: April 13, 2013, 01:52:01 pm »

Artifacts are bugged so that you ca'n't find them most of the time in Adventure Mode now, yeah. Sadly.

Also, the only thing that the game checks in terms of flammability and the like is the base item material. Decorations wo'n't be affected.

Also also, light is actually bad for shields because it doesn't change their blocking chance but it does make the damage from shield bashing much lower. Heh.
Light is also good because light things are light. If you aren't planning on any shield bashing, leather, featherwood, or adamantine shields are ideal.

EBannion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • ElleShaped
« Reply #72 on: April 13, 2013, 10:51:20 pm »

Uh oh.

EBannion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • ElleShaped
« Reply #73 on: April 14, 2013, 03:15:54 pm »

Oh. PirateBob, this might interest you.

I've been making statues to line the road in, and I like to see what sorts of subjects my mason is focusing on. In addition to a half-dozen or so of my Countess cowering while surrounded with giant roaches - I guess he REALLY doesn't like her - he made this little gem:

Here's where it is:

EBannion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • ElleShaped
« Reply #74 on: April 14, 2013, 04:10:25 pm »

So that glass FB dodged the wrong way and plummeted into my magma refuse disposal system.

That was effective.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6