Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6

Author Topic: Adventurer Needed, apply within!  (Read 21895 times)

EBannion

• Bay Watcher
  • Visit my Blog, www.elleshaped.com
    • View Profile
    • ElleShaped
Adventurer Needed, apply within!
« on: August 10, 2012, 01:00:00 pm »

Hi folks!

I have a blog (www.elleshaped.com) and one of my running themes is a particular world in Dwarf Fortress which I intend to build several fortresses in, and use for my stories.

I have need of an intrepid adventurer to assist me. I have uploaded the save to DFFD here.

To find the location of Goodwhip proper, refer to this post in my blog. It describes the founding of the fortress.

You are requested to accomplish two goals:

1. Retrieve the artifact pictured here:

Place it somewhere where it should be reasonably easy to find for a reclamation team.

2. Clear the fortress proper of demons and devils. It is infested with dinosaur demons and with Banshees of ash, salt, and many other materials. I saw a few Snow Demons, and some Winged Brutes... lots of trouble.

Once you have accomplished this feat, feel free to claim as many of the cut gems as you can find, there are quite a few. Then, retire somewhere nice and upload the save for me to resume my project. Your reward, aside from the gems, will be immortalization in the records of the Land of Bodices, and a statue in your honor in the fort at some point.

This is not for the faint of heart! There are a lot of demons in there!

This save was created using the Lazy Newb Pack v. 1.3 with Dwarf Fortress v. 34.11 with Phoebus tileset enabled and aquifers disabled.

Thank you and good luck!
« Last Edit: April 23, 2013, 09:28:01 pm by EBannion »
Torturing Dwarves to death since 2007

StreetPizza

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Adventurer Needed, apply within!
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2012, 02:43:30 pm »

Sounds interesting. I might give it a try. I'll keep a journal and post it in Community Games and Stories if you'd like to keep up with the progress.

Also, this premise in general (succession game between fort and adventure mode) sounds really cool--we're playing with an actual purpose now. I hope more people try this in the future.

Edit: Actually, screw the journal. My adventurers are dying so often that it'd be too much work for me to keep a journal for each one of them. I might make a journal of my adventurer plumbing the depths of the abandoned fortress, though.
« Last Edit: August 11, 2012, 03:18:12 am by StreetPizza »
the soapmaker Urist McSudsy has come!  Beware his deadly cleansing action!

Thecard

• Bay Watcher
  • Back in With the Old!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2012, 05:45:09 pm »

Yeah, that sounds fun.  I'd love to try it, but due to some technical issues, I can't.  I am lookin forward to reading about it, and seeing more of these types of succession games.

I think the slaughter part is what made them angry.
OOC: Dachshundofdoom: This is how the world ends, not with a bang but with goddamn VUVUZELAS.
Those hookers aren't getting out any time soon, no matter how many fancy gadgets they have :v

Alestom

• Bay Watcher
  • Crazy Scotsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2012, 05:51:22 pm »

Hi folks!

I have a blog (www.elleshaped.com) and one of my running themes is a particular world in Dwarf Fortress which I intend to build several fortresses in, and use for my stories.

I have need of an intrepid adventurer to assist me. I have uploaded the save to DFFD here.

To find the location of Goodwhip proper, refer to [urlhttp://www.elleshaped.com/?p=45]this post[/url] in my blog. It describes the founding of the fortress.

You are requested to accomplish two goals:

1. Retrieve the artifact pictured here:

Place it somewhere where it should be reasonably easy to find for a reclamation team.

2. Clear the fortress proper of demons and devils. It is infested with dinosaur demons and with Banshees of ash, salt, and many other materials. I saw a few Snow Demons, and some Winged Brutes... lots of trouble.

Once you have accomplished this feat, feel free to claim as many of the cut gems as you can find, there are quite a few. Then, retire somewhere nice and upload the save for me to resume my project. Your reward, aside from the gems, will be immortalization in the records of the Land of Bodices, and a statue in your honor in the fort at some point.

This is not for the faint of heart! There are a lot of demons in there!

This save was created using the Lazy Newb Pack v. 1.3 with Dwarf Fortress v. 34.11 with Phoebus tileset enabled and aquifers disabled.

Thank you and good luck!

99% chance of death, 1% chance of glory? Sign a crazy scotsman up
If I had my time again, I know Id be a fighting man

In far Malay or Vietnam, Though I am more a lover

DavionFuxa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2012, 07:20:09 pm »

This sounds interesting, though I have no time for the next few days to make an attempt. Is this going to be like a 'succession Adventure' type thing or will it be just first come first server?
A Google Doc I wrote up in regards to making a new 'workable' definition for the Roguelike Genre:
Defining the Roguelike Genre

EBannion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • ElleShaped
« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2012, 07:40:34 pm »

Well, should the second attempt end in death in such a way that the fort is infested with monsters again, we will need someone to clean it again.

As far as this task is concerned, whoever succeeds first will likely get the glory.

Urist_McDrowner

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2012, 08:21:40 pm »

I'm game. You're running 34.11, right?

Auning

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 11, 2012, 12:28:09 pm »

I'm working on this, although there's a few problems. All items in an abandoned fortress are scattered throughout the entire area. If you struck into the caverns, there may be some down there. This means scouring every inch of the embark site checking every [ to see if it's the shield (Keep in mind, in dark interiors such as caverns you can only see a few tiles in front of you. This means trouble when looking for a single specific object). One more problem is some demons tend to fly far up, above, and around an abandoned fortress. Making it effectively impossible to say for sure that the entire embark is clean of demons, even if you've killed all that you've found. I'll still give it a good shot (I've spent a good 8 hours working on this character and just got him there), but, just saying, the main problem isn't so much the demons.

Edit: Squandered every inch of the fortress (was only doing a quick-sweep over for demons). No shield OR demons yet and only came across a cute little forgotten beast.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
I noticed that the fortress was opened to the caverns. I wouldn't be surprised if the demons ended up in there by chance. Also, there's a point in the stairs where I simply cannot go down any further. So much for going to the circus :'(
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Experiencing fps death... I HAVE NEVER SEEN SO MANY CRUNDLES IN ONE PLACE. My fps really is plummeting very rapidly, suddenly.
Update: Fps has slowed to a crawl over the period of an hour or so. 2 or 3 fps, to be specific. This may be the leather and cave creature multiplication bug. I cannot continue, as I can't even move. I think I may have a backup save. Will look later.
« Last Edit: August 11, 2012, 01:44:03 pm by Auning »
[DESCRIPTION:A horse-like creature susceptible to severed nerves when muscles are torn in limb, grasp and starting length are all the same.]
[BLOOD:LOCAL_CREATURE_MAT:EGG_YOLK:LIQUID]
[PUS:LOCAL_CREATURE:BIRD_ROC]

StreetPizza

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 11, 2012, 12:32:29 pm »

I'm having the same problem as Auning. Since it's a bone shield, it's really light (and so more likely to be further from wherever you left it).
the soapmaker Urist McSudsy has come!  Beware his deadly cleansing action!

MrWillsauce

• Bay Watcher
  • Has an ass that won't quit
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 11, 2012, 01:55:27 pm »

If you equipped the shield to a dwarf, and then abandoned the site, would the refugee take the shield with him? From the blog I gathered there were no survivors, but, if there was one and he had the shield, maybe the shield is somewhere else in the world in the hands of a dwarf?

EBannion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • ElleShaped
« Reply #10 on: August 11, 2012, 02:12:56 pm »

There were no survivors or refugees. The crundles all showed up in the last few months of the fort - they kept attacking the candy-miners.

Is that FB the 3 eyed pterodon that showed up in the last month of the fort?

I really care the most about the majority of evils being cleaned out - a few stragglers is ok, and I will take at least 2 experienced and fully armored soldiers when I reclaim.

If the shield managed to get itself lost, that would be sad but not a show-stopper.

It's great to see y'all having fun with this :)

MrWillsauce

• Bay Watcher
  • Has an ass that won't quit
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 11, 2012, 02:17:07 pm »

Somebody should reclaim briefly just to assign a record-keeper and see if the shield appears on the stocks screen.

EBannion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • ElleShaped
« Reply #12 on: August 11, 2012, 02:19:04 pm »

Somebody should reclaim briefly just to assign a record-keeper and see if the shield appears on the stocks screen.

That's a great idea!

It was definitely still in the stockpile when the last dwarf was slained. I checked.

Auning

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 11, 2012, 06:10:08 pm »

Is that FB the 3 eyed pterodon that showed up in the last month of the fort?
May be. I saw another FB corpse, but it was long dead (a partial skeleton). Also, I had a save back-up (in case of various crashed from changing from fullscreen to windowed), so I will be able to resume before the FPS death occurred. But I lost about 3 hours.
[DESCRIPTION:A horse-like creature susceptible to severed nerves when muscles are torn in limb, grasp and starting length are all the same.]
[BLOOD:LOCAL_CREATURE_MAT:EGG_YOLK:LIQUID]
[PUS:LOCAL_CREATURE:BIRD_ROC]

EBannion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • ElleShaped
« Reply #14 on: August 11, 2012, 08:30:09 pm »

Artist's Rendering of the creature I saw just as things tumbled down:

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6