Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Fortifications along bridges?  (Read 1685 times)

Speakafreak22

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Fortifications along bridges?
« on: September 14, 2012, 01:28:18 pm »

Hey guys, I was thinking about an old fort I had today and remembered what happened when I tried building fortifications along the side of the main bridge.
My dwarves started building from the middle instead of the connecting wall, and each fortification that was build resulted in a cave-in.
Has this been fixed, or could it still be used as a method of death and destruction and capturing megabeasts?

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
Re: Fortifications along bridges?
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2012, 01:35:06 pm »

You gotta designate the fortifications you want built first last. As a general rule of thumb never designate constructions that could possibly become unsupported at any time.

Speakafreak22

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2012, 01:41:09 pm »

Oh I know, I worked that out after a while haha. Just wondering if this is a commonly used method for killing enemies and capturing the big guys and whatnot.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2012, 01:49:12 pm »

It's usually easier and more fun to build supports and... To put things bluntly, hamstone them at a pull of a lever :P

Ubiq

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2012, 05:02:33 pm »

Triggered cave-ins via supports and levers won't kill as many of your dwarves as that method will. While that isn't a dealbreaker for a lot of players, this method is also subject to job cancellations if they happen to see the intended target beneath them while heading for the construction site.

Also, constructed fortifications are best if the bridge is out in the open and you want impassable walkways alongside it, but you can carve fortifications out of constructed walls as well. That's the safest way to do this if building the bridge in a cavern or other place where the walls could be supported from overhead when constructed.