Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Minecart repeaters (designs) - no power required  (Read 19507 times)

gchristopher

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Minecart repeaters (designs) - no power required
« Reply #15 on: May 21, 2013, 01:16:16 pm »

A retracting bridge tend to toss items around.
If you want to launch the cart with that bridge you should probably surround it with the ramps. In your design it has 4 out of 6 chance that the cart will land on tile that will not accelerate it (E/W track, preasure plate or empty space to the right).

Try this modification:
Code: [Select]
▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒
▒╔╗╝╝╝╝╝╝B▒
▒╚╬P╔╔╔╔╔B▒
▒╚╝▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒
▒▒▒▒
╝╝╝╝╝╝ and ╔╔╔╔╔ are those acceleration ramps
B-2-tile bridge on top of track turn (not ramps) upper one is W/S, tho lower one is W/N
And because you added more ramps you can probably shorten the bigger loop. I don't know how to calculate if cart derails on the track turn so you will have to find out by trial and error.

And if you do construct this kind of repeater please tell let me know if it has stable number of ticks betwean activations of the preasure plate.
Yeah, I was hoping for some way to use both directions for acceleration. That design still won't quite work, because the cart will stop on a non-ramp track and when you retract the bridge, if it doesn't throw the cart, then it won't start moving.

The derailment should be based on velocity. I'll try confirming that with dfhack.

Thanks!

Xinael

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 04, 2016, 12:50:56 pm »

It's a shame that the images have disappeared from the first few posts of this thread. Does anyone have copies, or have designs for more modern repeaters to share?

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
  • Spooky cart at distance
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 04, 2016, 02:30:41 pm »

The video works fine for 5th and 6th design if you want a flash video.....But here's a slightly larger "proof of concept" of two-plate spike repeater by suokko (delay is lower here btw, 142 or 144 steps iirc):

Ramps below standard two-ramp bouncers.

As for the bridge design, you can do much more compact if you use something like hatch as a delay, ex.

(Someone's else design, again...Didn't save notes. Edit: Larix's design, I think)

Downramps again bouncers to both tracks upwards, with the solitary east ramp being impulse to push it back.

Of course, once you have taken the fps hit from repeating bridges once, you'll likely look some ways to not use repeating bridges, so it's something of a novelty.
« Last Edit: November 04, 2016, 04:30:09 pm by Fleeting Frames »

Xinael

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 04, 2016, 05:18:42 pm »

Thanks for pointing out the video, though it's not clear to me which of the ramps are impulse ramps in that example, nor what the setting of the track stop is :( I guess some experimentation is in order :)

I'm not sure what you mean by "bouncer", though?

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
  • Spooky cart at distance
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 04, 2016, 07:31:02 pm »

For the first:

The system is same as in design 1. Track ramps are marked N/W - north-west ramp (+wall on northern side) and W/S - west-south (+walls on W). There are also doors for emergency shutdown (see picture of design 6) - it can be replaced with track stop on highest friction linked to a lever.
T - track stop set on medium friction

6th design - perfect for waving bridges :) (5x9)
Time for a minecart to complete one lap - 209 ticks

It's practicaly a bigger design 5.

For the second, a "bouncer" is two track/ramps - here, the second one isn't visible on level below - with connection to floor towards each other. (Diagram: Wall==Wall). Named so for minecart bounces endlessly unless it has connection upwards (which it has on these diagrams, spring it up.)

Frequently used in very simple fortress defences (though, those usually use something like ╔╗ with wall to the south instead - that hatch also has both ramps as corner ones underneath), minecart logic, minecart repeaters/timers* and acceleration/checkpoints that works for carts going both ways.

*The simplest/smallest which is just a pressure plate, heavy weight cart on track stop and light cart tapping it over and over on level below.
« Last Edit: November 04, 2016, 07:34:07 pm by Fleeting Frames »

Pseudo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 14, 2017, 12:53:48 pm »

Sorry to necro, but does anyone have the original images in this thread?

(And on a side note: this is one of the reasons I prefer ascii-art designs over screencaps... less likely to be lost in the mists of time.)
The lady the dog the paper the boy writ hit bit knit.

English is weird.

Lando242

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 10, 2018, 05:12:29 pm »

I found this on a Reddit page. IIRC this is based on design #5. It has four pressure plates instead of the basic one but everything else about it is stock.
Pages: 1 [2]