Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Update on issue #5516, A fix for overpowered ammunition.  (Read 807 times)

Thorbinator

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Update on issue #5516, A fix for overpowered ammunition.
« on: August 12, 2012, 08:30:11 am »

It was suggested for me to cross-post this here.

So after losing one too many adventurers to wooden bolts through my iron helm, I decided to look into the issue.

I turns out that it is indeed a bug, and after a couple hours of arena testing I have devised a bandaid solution.

Alright, I spent several hours testing this and messing with raws in the arena

Variables that changing did nothing:
size, velocity multiplier, penetration_size in item_ammo.txt
shoot_force, shoot_maxvel in item_weapon.txt under crossbow

What I finally settled on was that this bug is some underlying factor that maximizes the damage/force/velocity of these bolts, and I can't change that.

What I could change, and did, was the glancing. When I set contact_area in item_ammo.txt to 60 (instead of 2) then copper bolts only penetrate full iron armor in the upper arms and legs. This is a bad bandaid fix, but it is far better than what is currently in the game.

Wooden is useless against any kind of armor but still good against cloth/naked, bolts above copper still penetrate armor easily. I haven't tested these bolts vs adamantine.

https://dl.dropbox.com/u/1285839/item_ammo.txt

Here is my modified raw. To install this fix, either change the 2 to 60 yourself, or download the text file and overwrite it in both your raws [Dwarf Fortress/raw/objects] and your saves [Dwarf Fortress/data/save/(region)/raw/objects]. If you're not sure how to implement this with a mod, I don't know either.

detroy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Update on issue #5516, A fix for overpowered ammunition.
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2012, 06:59:15 pm »

At least a good solution for now, I always feel frustrated when some lowlife bandits put me down with only one bolt/arrow to the head then others severed my body apart...even with brain stem mod they can't one-shot me...

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
Re: Update on issue #5516, A fix for overpowered ammunition.
« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2012, 07:28:14 pm »

thanks for the science.

Did you notice if the new bolts have the tendency to "stick into targets" less often ?
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::