Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: The Alliance of Clans. A Kobold Fortress  (Read 3287 times)

DisgruntledPeasant

• Bay Watcher
  • High Master Biter
    • View Profile
The Alliance of Clans. A Kobold Fortress
« on: August 11, 2012, 05:32:59 pm »

A Kobold Fortress, Betcha Gabat “The Alliance of Clans”
Kobolds have lived as a primitive and tribalistic race for far too long, they have watched the other races grow and develop but have been content to sit in their caves, stealing what little treasures they can, but this meagre existence is not enough for a particular bunch of Kobolds, they have learned the arts of building, forging and war from their studies of stolen goods and have gained enough confidence to strike the earth and create a mountainhome for themselves!

“You have arrived after a journey from the ancestral hunting grounds into the forbidding wilderness beyond, your harsh trek has finally ended, your party of seven is to make an outpost for the glory of all Lapipr’kfil.
There are almost no supplies left, but with stout labour come sustenance. Whether by bold, plough, or hook, Provide for your Kobolds. You are expecting a supply caravan just before winter entombs you, but it is spring now, enough time to delve secure lodgings, ere the dingoes get hungry. A new chapter of Kobold history begins here at this place, Betcha Gabat ‘The Alliance of Clans’. Strike the earth!”

The Elders:
Expedition Leader, Broker, Manager and Bookkeeper, Mayor.
“Greedy Eddie” Astlelum.
-Greedy eddie performs all admin work, and in his spare time he engraves stuff all over other kobolds walls, weather they want him to or not. there are statues of him all over the fort. He seems concerned about the safety of the fort and orders the construction of bows and spears a lot, unlike dwarven nobles, kobold nobles seem to know what the fortress actually needs rather than demanding slade underpants.

Miner.
“GritTounge” Lelumdem
-being the only full time miner, GritTounge has quickly become legendary. he must use his pick two-handed since he is only a very small kobold and he once got attacked by a turkey chick (confined space, collecting eggs), only to counterattack and turn it into paste with his pick.

Mason
“May” Osorrovod
-he likes to make instruments, the kobolds however, are utterly inept musically and thus they are given to any passing kobolds in exchange for their loot.

Farmer
“GreenBelly” Nishrakust
-fun fact, this guy has done nothing noteworthy.

Cook
“ShortSnout” Limardumat
-Shortsnout loves him some turkey eggs.

Woodsman
“BarkSnout” Keshshakgeshud
-he is frequently attacked by magma crabs yet has recovered from every attack to date. why he keeps going near the bastards, nobody knows.

Guard
“Snark the Blade” Sazirerush
-Snark wields a scimitar two-handed,  due to their small size my kobolds use knives, spears and bows as their standard weaponry, but i've made maces and scimitars usable as two-handers for my special troops.

Embarking upon a volcano the Kobolds hope to use the metalsmithing techniques learned from the Dwarves to build a utopia away from the pain of the outside world.

All goes well, with every passing month new Kobold clans hear of their success and flock to join them, by the end of the first year enough clans have migrated that they number in the dozens!  Many rich treasures have been made, every Kobold has a room with golden furniture and there is a standing army armed to the teeth!
The fortress entrance is adorned with statues of the Kobolds two primary gods.  'Nifih' the god of Dawn, usually depicted as a male kobold, laughing or being praised, and 'Teshil Crazygrowl the Outrageous Gale' the god of chaos, depicted as a female kobold, usually fighting with other kobolds.*

Magma crabs have become the Kobolds mortal enemy, their doctors have been kept busy tending to the wounds of the unfortunates who are struck by chunks of molten rock.

Foolish merchants stop by the Fortress from time to time, mistaking it for a dwarven mountainhome or a human fortress.  they leave empty handed, as the Kobolds cant shake their old habits

!!FIRE!!
Goblins attacked the haven, the vile creatures had been attempting to kidnap the Kobold cubs for some time and now they have sent an armed force, the Kobold soldiers were dispatched but many did not return. The fighting had moved close to the volcano itself, a goblin fell in and the fire spread rapidly much of the surface was set ablaze and all Kobolds were ordered indoors until the chaos subsided.
'Teshil Crazygrowl the Outrageous Gale'** will be pleased this day.

Unfortunately many of the Kobolds could not cope, fights broke out and old grudges were brought to surface, many of the kobolds wanted to return to their lives of cave-dwelling thievery and were angry at their elders for leading them to such a place.

As the fires die down and the fighting stops, it is clear that goblins are a force not to be underestimated, the Kobolds have lost their best warriors to but a small ambush and it will take a long time to recover.

… More to come!

*Probably the best god name I’ve found on this game, I like to think of their religion as being a constant conflict/romance between a benevolent laughing god of dawn that represents to lighter side to DF and a psychotic mad-god that represents the utterly depraved batshit inanity.
**'Teshil Crazygrowl the Outrageous Gale' demands to always be referred to by her full name, otherwise she will unleash her chaotic wrath upon thee.

Corai

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The Alliance of Clans. A Kobold Fortress
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2012, 06:40:48 pm »

1. Move this to community games & stories

2.I approve of this fort, and would like to be 'bolded. Preferably as a noble.
Jacob/Lee: you have a heart made of fluffy
Jeykab/Bee: how the fuck do you live your daily life corai
Jeykab/Bee: you seem like the person who constantly has mini heart attacks because cuuuute

wolfwood296

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2012, 07:16:14 pm »

cool bold me as a swordbold plz
I've asked Uristeamer to begin investigating his duck's ability to eat a fully grown dwarf.- quote from broseph stalin

ghjijhg

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2012, 07:50:51 pm »

Cool idea.
Will kobold thieves still attack you?

Scruffy

• Bay Watcher
  • !!DRUNK FORTRESS!! Come smell the ashes
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2012, 08:07:07 pm »

Looks really interesting :D
Bold me if you can please. A militia member or chief doctor if possible, though even a standard cheesemaker is ok.
The weredwarf Urist McUrist has come! A bearded drunkard twisted into minute form. It is crazed for booze and socks. Its unwashed beard is tangled. It needs alcohol to get through the working day and has gone without a drink for far too long. Now you will know why you fear the mines.

Et tu, Urist

Wrex

• Bay Watcher
  • My vision is augmented
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2012, 08:08:34 pm »

'bold me as a Marksbold. I want to drop some shafts in some skulls. Use a marksman tower if possible.

Mr Wrex, please do not eat my liver.

Poindexterity

• Bay Watcher
  • Listen to my album at www.oldschoolpoindexter.com
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 11, 2012, 09:04:40 pm »

1. Move this to community games & stories

2.I approve of this fort, and would like to be 'bolded. Preferably as a noble.
same here.
Life (in dwarf fortress) is a cocophany of flavours, each more succulent than the last - why not sample them all?!

Joben

• Bay Watcher
  • Elder Thing
    • View Profile
    • Lazy Lizard Gear
« Reply #7 on: August 11, 2012, 09:47:41 pm »

Good times.

I'd love to be bolded. As a weaponsmith preferably.
Broken Arrow - A small stats tweak to fix unrealistically overpowered arrows and bolts.

My RTD games: Roll To Raptor (On hold), Dino Arena

Iosyn

• Bay Watcher
  • KAKAKA
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 12, 2012, 02:29:51 am »

So... So cute... :o

DisgruntledPeasant

• Bay Watcher
  • High Master Biter
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 12, 2012, 03:52:23 pm »

Unfortunately the fortress is in a pretty bad state, it seems the soldiers that died were fairly popular kobolds and there is a tantrum spiral in full swing.  I shall attempt to recover the fortress before 'bolding anyone, as there might be a reclaim or a whole new fort in order after this.

The grand hall (under construction).  one of the haulers has begun to stalk and brood, another babbles incoherently

Its unclear what happened, but fires have spread inside the courtyard- luckily, the main doors prevented the fires spreading indoors, but plenty of livestock died and some haulers got caught in the blaze. Unfortunately the brooding kobold was one of those consumed by fire.

There have been two more goblin ambushes, the magma crabs have proved useful and chipped a few goblin bones, but ultimately the attacks have been very costly.
In the chaos the Kobolds have learned two very valuable lessons.
1. The world is a cruel and unforgiving place for those that dare to dream big.
2. Goblins are dicks who just want to ruin everybody’s day.

Next up: presumably the fall of the fortress. There doesnt seem to be a great deal I can do to recover from this,  The kobolds will learn from their mistakes and attempt again to build a safe-haven for all the downtrodden kobolds in the world, I'll 'bold you all as the founding members of the next fort/reclaim.

EDIT:  there is a burning kobold running around the fortress.  he doesnt seem to mind all that much and hasnt actually sustained any injuries...   further investigation required.
« Last Edit: August 12, 2012, 04:19:27 pm by DisgruntledPeasant »

Corai

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 12, 2012, 10:07:17 pm »

Again, I claim the expedition leader/mayor/chieftain. If that is okay.

As I am Corai. It only makes sense for I to lead the camp.
Jeykab/Bee: you seem like the person who constantly has mini heart attacks because cuuuute

DisgruntledPeasant

• Bay Watcher
  • High Master Biter
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 13, 2012, 02:48:24 am »

The fortress has fallen, too much chaos, too much death.

Again, I claim the expedition leader/mayor/chieftain. If that is okay.

As I am Corai. It only makes sense for I to lead the camp.

Dont worry, I had just that position planned for you!
also, now i'm a little more confident in RAW editing, im going to tweak the kobolds some more,  give them some more apropriate noble positions and all that lark.
Also, as it turns out, their frail little kobold bodies seems to hinder them when it comes to maces and scimitars as 2handers, daggers and spears work great but i'm going to have to look into creating a whole new weapontype for their swords/blunts.

Corai

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile