Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: always running out of plump helmet seeds?  (Read 18182 times)

adamandkate

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
always running out of plump helmet seeds?
« on: August 12, 2012, 03:02:40 am »

Hi, im finding that my farmers never have enough seeds. I thought that each plant sprouted 3, so if 3 get eaten and used in brewing, thats 3 seeds. So I should have an increasing amount of seeds. But my farmers can barely keep a 5x5 field full despite this. Im not cooking the helmets so not destroying the seeds.

any ideas? thanks

adam

weenog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: always running out of plump helmet seeds?
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2012, 03:14:03 am »

First assign a bookkeeper, give him a suitable office, and order him to keep records to highest precision.
Next, give the bookkeeper some time to work.
After that, when you see those no plump helmet spawn messages, check what your actual plump helmet spawn count looks like.

Most likely, you have plenty of plump helmet spawn, and the no plump helmet spawn message is just an annoying quirk of the hauling system as it is now.  Probably somebody is running off with the seed bag to collect a spawn freed up by eating or brewing, just as somebody wants to plant a spawn from that bag, and the planter sees the spawn in the bag has gone missing and cancels the job.  If that's the only problem, you can quit worrying, farms pretty much take care of themselves, unlike workshops that drop a job entirely if it's cancelled.
Listen up: making a thing a ‼thing‼ doesn't make it more awesome or extreme.  It simply indicates the thing is on fire.  Get it right or look like a silly poser.

It's useful to keep a ‼torch‼ handy.

Malecus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2012, 03:22:21 am »

Also, the seeds can be eaten by vermin.  If you don't have any anti-vermin protection and a lack of bags to put the seeds in, the vermin may be gnawing away at your supplies.  But yeah, it's more likely that someone's picking up the storage bag to put a seed in it while your farmers are planting.  You can reduce this from happening by specializing your stockpiles and locating the seed-holding ones close to your farm.

Laurin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2012, 06:08:59 am »

Don't store your seeds in any general stockpile. There they will be stored in bags and then ten bags in a barrel.
To collect any further seed a hauler will move the barrel around your fortress, making access to the seeds temporarily impossible.

Make a small seeds stockpile next to your farm plots that accepts only seeds and zero barrels. Also, forbid seeds on any other food stockpiles. This will not stop the cancellation spam but make it less frequent. ^^

zubb2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2012, 09:30:20 pm »

How about making at least five 1x1 seed stockpiles next to you farms each with no barrels but do use bags.

That may do it.

If you wanted to go overboard you could make a stockpile for every tile in your farm,five by five would be twenty five.

Or a stockpile for every farmer.

That could work if you only have say five farmers that plant.
(Anyone else have any stories that can compare to a man being beaten to death with his own trousers by a giant gopher?)
(when goblins showed up, I mumbled "Smithers! Release the hounds!" and had the lever pulled.)

WJLIII3

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2012, 10:23:12 am »

How about making at least five 1x1 seed stockpiles next to you farms each with no barrels but do use bags.

That may do it.

If you wanted to go overboard you could make a stockpile for every tile in your farm,five by five would be twenty five.

Or a stockpile for every farmer.

That could work if you only have say five farmers that plant.

Thats a little over-complicated, I use one 3x3 stockpile, barrels disabled, right around the stairs, and then another huge one that fills the available area, again, no barrels. That staircase goes to the center of my 4 11x11 plots, which has been a little....draggy. Now I use 8 5x5 plots.