Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: About armor/weapon quality.  (Read 3202 times)

Volfgarix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
About armor/weapon quality.
« on: August 12, 2012, 08:22:51 am »

Masterful weapons/armors, which are 2x better and artifacts are 3x better than standard ones, but what about Well-crafted, Finely-crafted, Superior and Exceptional quality? Are these better than normal weapons and armors?
 I don't know.
 Dwarf wiki don't know too.

Nagidal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My gaming channel
Re: About armor/weapon quality.
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2012, 08:30:00 am »

It is unsure what bonuses they get. I guess they have the 1x multiplier. But we won't know for sure until somebody does some ‼science‼ on that subject.
I stream most of my DF sessions: gaming.youtube/nagidal146, they are archived on my youtube channel. (Dwarf Fortress Tutorials)

Volfgarix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2012, 09:24:25 am »

It is unsure what bonuses they get. I guess they have the 1x multiplier. But we won't know for sure until somebody does some ‼science‼ on that subject.

Wait, but that can't be !!SCIENCE!!, because don't uncludes fire or magma (I'm right, yes?), so I'm think about SCIENCE.

Z1000000m

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2012, 10:36:06 am »

@op

If you belive the 2x and 3x values, then just check the 40d version of the article to see the values for the diffrent qualities.

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2012, 11:57:50 am »

I've personally confirmed multiplers of 1.2x/1.4x/1.6x/1.8x back in 23a, and similar values were accepted to be true in 40d. If absolutely necessary, I should be able to track down the values used in 0.34.11.
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.

Volfgarix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2012, 12:01:45 pm »

Thank's for help, somebody really should give these informations in the v0.34.11 in wiki.

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
« Reply #6 on: August 12, 2012, 12:17:45 pm »

I've just confirmed that weapon damage is based on the weapon's "sharpness", and sharpness is calculated based on the item's quality and the material's MAX_EDGE as follows:
Base: MAX_EDGE * 5/10
Well-crafted: MAX_EDGE * 6/10
Fine: MAX_EDGE * 7/10
Superior: MAX_EDGE * 8/10
Exceptional: MAX_EDGE * 9/10
Masterwork: MAX_EDGE * 10/10

I don't have ready access to an artifact weapon at the moment, but otherwise the info above is consistent with behavior from previous versions.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.

lcy03406

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 13, 2012, 01:47:12 am »

I've just confirmed that weapon damage is based on the weapon's "sharpness", and sharpness is calculated based on the item's quality and the material's MAX_EDGE as follows:
Base: MAX_EDGE * 5/10
Well-crafted: MAX_EDGE * 6/10
Fine: MAX_EDGE * 7/10
Superior: MAX_EDGE * 8/10
Exceptional: MAX_EDGE * 9/10
Masterwork: MAX_EDGE * 10/10

I don't have ready access to an artifact weapon at the moment, but otherwise the info above is consistent with behavior from previous versions.
Wait, all non-candy metals have the same MAX_EDGE of 10000, right? Should not the damage relates to the IMPACT_YIELD or something? Or a steel axe and a silver axe yield the same damage, in case they penetrate the armor?

Nagidal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My gaming channel
« Reply #8 on: August 13, 2012, 06:28:37 am »

I've just confirmed that weapon damage is based on the weapon's "sharpness", and sharpness is calculated based on the item's quality and the material's MAX_EDGE

And what bonuses are there when it's a blunt weapon, e.g. mace? Is there any difference across quality levels?
I stream most of my DF sessions: gaming.youtube/nagidal146, they are archived on my youtube channel. (Dwarf Fortress Tutorials)

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
« Reply #9 on: August 13, 2012, 07:40:53 am »

I only said that weapon damage is based on sharpness - there are plenty of other factors.

lcy03406

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 13, 2012, 08:43:03 am »

I only said that weapon damage is based on sharpness - there are plenty of other factors.
Are the other factors liner?

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
« Reply #11 on: August 13, 2012, 08:52:46 am »

Are the other factors liner?
I don't even know what the other factors are, let alone whether or not they are "liner" - I haven't reverse-engineered all of the weapon attack code, only the part at the very beginning that fetches the weapon's sharpness (which corresponded to the part in 40d and earlier that took the material's DAMAGE_PERC and applied quality multipliers).