Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7

Author Topic: Sweet dreams, from the SCP Foundation.  (Read 29986 times)

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
Re: Sweet dreams, from the SCP Foundation.
« Reply #45 on: August 20, 2012, 12:14:00 am »

It's like SCP but with pink goop that solves every problem

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #46 on: August 20, 2012, 12:18:45 am »

No TV show would be able to  do SCP justice

crazysheep

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:fluffy wool]
    • View Profile
"Don't be in such a hurry to grow up, for there's nothing a kid can't do."

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
Post not [DATA EXPUNGED]
« Reply #48 on: August 20, 2012, 09:36:25 am »

Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: August 20, 2012, 09:55:00 am »

A SCP tv show DOES sound nice tough.

Except for the part where SCP is completely industrialized and loses all forms of being intresting.
And imagine all the kids writing shit SCPs...

Mayby thats a bit too pessimistic, but yeah.

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
  • <Cript> Darvi is my wifi.
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: August 20, 2012, 09:57:47 am »

I couldn't see that working since they'd have to *bleep* out every other word or so.

Jopax

• Bay Watcher
  • Cat on a hat
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: August 20, 2012, 10:06:11 am »

Well they could make it like that one episode of Doctor Who, where we follow a guy looking for the Doctor, following legends and stories and stuff (he finds him in the end). Basically never explicitly show the organization or stuff it does, just random artifacts in random locations seen by random ordinary people. Like we are shown an incident with the Hear of Darkness when suddenly a unkown armed force arrives to contain it, interrogates the eye witnesses and all the usualy stuff.

Some glimpses of the organization could be done, foreshadowing and stuff, but nothing too much, just to keep te mystery levels high.

Or an alternative would be a mockumentary of sorts, say one of the higher ups wants evaluations of workers or a comprehensive archive, so this group goes around interwieving and filming people and SCP's. Incidents should be occuring somewhat oftenly to keep things interesting, some censoring would be also nice, again to keep the mystery up since I think that's what makes most of the SCP's cool.
"my batteries are low and it's getting dark"
AS - IG

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: August 20, 2012, 10:31:22 am »

I"ve recently found the comments even more entertaining than the SCPs.  My personal favorite commenter is Pooryoric, we have similar taste (read: distaste) in SCPs that were obviously written one-handed.
Shoes...

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: August 20, 2012, 10:43:52 am »

In general, the best SCPs understand the two rules of effective horror writing:

1. Leave space for the reader's imagination. Ambiguity is your friend, because if you leave it somewhat open to interpretation as to what happened, what something looks like, what that *thing* was, etc. the reader's subconscious is going to fill it in with whatever it most horrifying to that person.

2. Implications can be scarier than events. Most good Keter-class objects are scary because of their potential. This is particularly important for the memetic SCPs. Unfortunately there's a lot of lame Keter-class objects as well because power creep and tryhards.

EDIT: Oh, and a third rule:
3. Horror is an aberration of the fantastic into the normal. You have to have that normality to make something truly unnerving. Take SCP-087. We've all gone down stairwells before. Probably even some dimly lit ones. It appeals to that "monster under the stairs" primal fear from childhood.

Now, that doesn't have to be true for every SCP. I love SCP-093, but it's not horror. It's just too bizarre to be scary. It's more of a sci-fi/dark fantasy piece.
« Last Edit: August 20, 2012, 10:55:34 am by RedKing »

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
  • <Cript> Darvi is my wifi.
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: August 20, 2012, 10:54:53 am »

Jopax

• Bay Watcher
  • Cat on a hat
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: August 20, 2012, 10:56:39 am »

Then again you can go the opposite direction and create something equaly horrifying. Like this one. It was okay on the first read, then you find the declassified info (the redacted bits are exposed) and it suddenly ups the horror factor of the thing to insane levels.
"my batteries are low and it's getting dark"
AS - IG

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: August 20, 2012, 11:10:05 am »

Then again you can go the opposite direction and create something equaly horrifying. Like this one. It was okay on the first read, then you find the declassified info (the redacted bits are exposed) and it suddenly ups the horror factor of the thing to insane levels.
Yeah, but it still relies a bit too much on squick for my tastes. It was nice to see one actually go fill in the blanks, though.

Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: August 20, 2012, 11:35:05 am »

I didn't like it much.  My favorites are always the ones in RedKing's rule 3.
Shoes...

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: August 20, 2012, 11:37:38 am »

I think the declassified one is valuable because it shows how much [DATA EXPUNGED] can be used to alter a reader's interpretation of an article, even if it isn't that scary.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: August 20, 2012, 02:08:34 pm »

OBLIGATORY.
You bastard. I just *now* managed to climb out of that pit.

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7