Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Trauma training  (Read 5978 times)

AutomataKittay

• Bay Watcher
  • Grinding gears
    • View Profile
Re: Trauma training
« Reply #15 on: August 29, 2012, 11:08:35 am »

I don't think butchering animals trains trauma resistance, at least I've never seen a butcher get to point of not caring about anything without being seriously wounded or with a friend or pet dying.

I'm not even sure that witnessing wild animal death trains it either from hunters not getting it, though someone's probably done experiments in that area or I've not had them working long enough in all cases (I don't uses hunters too often so I might be mistakened ). I do know that pets being killed can cause it eventually, but is rather micromanagey. I have a suspicion that seeing creatures with either intelligent or can_speak tag dying might be able to do it from my military gaining it without losing friends or being wounded.

Maur

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 29, 2012, 11:17:43 am »

where will you get wild puppies? The animal must be wild for it's meat to be usable after non-butchery death.
I'm not concerned with food. Usually i have more than i can use.

So, there is no consensus? I vaguely remember from playing earlier version that my dedicated hunters (without hunting animals) had trauma resistance.

But, does death of relative/pet cause it, even if not witnessed?

AutomataKittay

• Bay Watcher
  • Grinding gears
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 29, 2012, 11:47:53 am »

Someone gotta witness it, I've had dwarves gone unhappy only upon discovery of body/corpse. I'm not sure about missing ones' thoughts, I'd assume that there're still some bad feeling of something goes missing but it's nowhere nearly as extreme as actually seeing the corpse. It don't have to be the original owner or a friend to witness it, but I suppose you would prefer to have the owner there, if only to keep in theme or ease of tracking.

Put them in a room with window and give them first row seat to their cat/dog/what has you being impaled? :D

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
  • Σὺν Ἀθηνᾷ καὶ χεῖρα κίνει
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 29, 2012, 11:51:36 am »

idea:

.....#/_......  (wall, lever near hatch, side view)

___╤_______   (meeting hall, 10z level below)

as soon as an immigrant arrives with no interesting skill/personality, give him the lever via profile and a pull order.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Maur

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 29, 2012, 12:08:52 pm »

Someone gotta witness it, I've had dwarves gone unhappy only upon discovery of body/corpse. I'm not sure about missing ones' thoughts, I'd assume that there're still some bad feeling of something goes missing but it's nowhere nearly as extreme as actually seeing the corpse. It don't have to be the original owner or a friend to witness it, but I suppose you would prefer to have the owner there, if only to keep in theme or ease of tracking.

Put them in a room with window and give them first row seat to their cat/dog/what has you being impaled? :D
I meant whether the having pet die or witnessing death has this effect. Or both?

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #20 on: August 29, 2012, 12:36:49 pm »

Now, i could give them lavish rooms, legendary meals and whatnot, but if i get serious casaualties, it won't help, since the happiness hit is so big. But, if they didn't really care about anything anymore, i guess it would be manageable.
Royal bedrooms are great for this. "Sleeping in a bedroom like a personal palace" is enough to bring normal Dwarves up to ecstatic. Without awesome booze/food.
Just wait till they're ecstatic, then start executing their pets/useless family members until they're either content (don't push into unhappiness) or don't care about anything anymore.

So, what is the best way to trauma train your fort? One that does not include dwarves dying. I can think of two things.
1. Kill all existing pets.
2. Give everyone wardog pets (wardogs can be assigned, just leaving them up for adoption takes away control).
3. Kill all of them.
4. Slaughter remains.
It's better if you do it on an evil biome/with a necromancer. Becoming a zombie removes the pet tag (after a bug that made zombie cats still adopt Dwarves), meaning you can butcher the crap out of them.

2. Pet slaughter. Some sort of elaborate mechanism for killing off pets.
Throw them down a moose pit. The best part about this is you can choose when you want your Dwarves to discover their missing pet is a zombie. Or dead.

(assuming they didn't got them plucked out, obviusly)?
Someone just needs to report the corpse some time later.

where will you get wild puppies? The animal must be wild for it's meat to be usable after non-butchery death.
Tame animals can be butchered, as long as they're not pets. All animals can be butchered if you resurrect the corpse first.
Also thanks to bacon science, this also increases meat/fat yields.

Maur

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 29, 2012, 01:05:48 pm »

So, Whispers, to sum it up, the answer to my question is that losing a pet (as in, having it die and not merely missing) traumatises a dwarf, even if the dwarf doesn't see it die?

AutomataKittay

• Bay Watcher
  • Grinding gears
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 29, 2012, 01:07:45 pm »

So, Whispers, to sum it up, the answer to my question is that losing a pet (as in, having it die and not merely missing) traumatises a dwarf, even if the dwarf doesn't see it die?

Yes, if anyone of your fortress group finds the corpse or witnesses the death, doesn't have to be the owner, then the owner of the former pet will know and be traumatized.

Maur

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 29, 2012, 01:20:01 pm »

Excellent! Time to order some puppies from Mountainhome.

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
  • Σὺν Ἀθηνᾷ καὶ χεῖρα κίνει
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 29, 2012, 04:15:10 pm »

idea:

this design worked for me, but I had to put a 3x1 reservoir on the level above the lever, to push the dwarf in the opened hatch hole, and I had to put spikes at the end of the drop.

also, I've had to put path restrictions around the drop area after a squishy accident.

now everyone has witnessed death, but is happy because of the mist from the water that flushed the dwarf down below.

one dwarf is not enough, however. noone got the trauma resistence.

zubb2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 29, 2012, 05:20:04 pm »

First I really like this game and its brand of crazy.

Second I remember this topic has been discussed alot and if I remeber they said the dorf just has to witness death ANY death.

I also think the dorf has to see the pet die or else the dorf will only be saddend not traumatized.

The perk of not caring anymore is for the fighters and such mostly but the forum has turned it into a usefull tool.

This was before the minecart update but there was no mention of changes to moods in the update.

I had an idea, glass floord dining hall with a danger room underneath.

Add puppie substitute of choice, make a McUrist's.

Sell it to the U's.
(Anyone else have any stories that can compare to a man being beaten to death with his own trousers by a giant gopher?)
(when goblins showed up, I mumbled "Smithers! Release the hounds!" and had the lever pulled.)

EvilBob22

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 29, 2012, 05:56:46 pm »

Unfortunately, glass walls and floors are not transparent.  I imagine something like this:

I will run the experiment to completion anyway, however. Even if the only reason why there is a punctured equilibrium in the fortress is because I have been brutally butchering babies
EDIT: I just remembered that dwarves can't equip halberds. That might explain why the squads that use them always die.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #27 on: August 29, 2012, 06:21:21 pm »

Unfortunately, glass walls and floors are not transparent.

Windows/Fortifications.

megahelmet

• Bay Watcher
  • *casts* Meteo!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 29, 2012, 09:30:58 pm »

I like to put a danger room in the middle of the most used corridor. If everyone is too happy, I just let it go for a bit. Most dorfs just end up with a few broken bones and a lil dodge training. The real benefit is the wholesale slaughter of babies. This 1: gets rid of babies. And 2: goes along way towards toughening up the whiners.
Pylons on fire can stay, its awesome.

Farmerbob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 29, 2012, 09:50:30 pm »

I think at one point someone created a puppy-drop mechanism using a chained female dog and bridges on a water timer.

Place the puppy drop next to the dwarves' meeting hall.

Activate puppy drop.  Every time female dog gives birth, puppies eventually fall out of the sky and splat within sight of dwarves.

I've never tested it myself, but it seems as if it would work?
How did I miss the existence of this thread?
(Don't attempt to answer that.  Down that path lies ... well I was going to say madness but you all run towards madness as if it was made from chocolate and puppies.  Just forget I said anything.)
Pages: 1 [2]