Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4

Author Topic: Baldur's Gate Enhanced Edition  (Read 12138 times)

ed boy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Baldur's Gate Enhanced Edition
« Reply #15 on: August 15, 2012, 05:26:57 pm »

Having read through their forums, I have some more information!

It appears that there are two options to playing the game - they seem to offer an install through a downloaded installer as well as though the beamdog client. One can download as many times as wanted through both routes when the game is purchased. Both methods are DRM free (except for the inital download) and do not require any internet connection after the game is downloaded to function. The only difference I can discern between using their client and not using it is that using the client will automatically check for updates if you have an internet connection - a pretty minor difference.

Also, if you get it on a mobile platform, the extra content (new characters and areas) are not automatically included, and the game costs less. The extra content will be distributed via app, and the cost for everything will be the same as the cost for the PC version (which includes everything).

There are plans for continued releases of support and DLC. The DLC will mix free and paid, though they claim that free will be the majority. They are also taking requests for DLC to be created in the future (within limitations). They are also allowing suggestiong of what parts should be changed from hardcoded to softcoded (within limitations). It's really great to see the modding community, which has been working away for almost a decade and a half, determining the ins and outs of the system, finally have an opporutnity to change all the limitations that they were working under and be able to do so much more.

Multi-language support is enhanced, with seperate options for text and voice-acting in different languages.

The graphic systems have been completely revamped. The rendering processes have been reworked, and the interface now supports a huge range of resolutions in high-definition, with support for zooming in and out. The interface is customiseble and moddable. It has also been confirmed that some content from the One Pixed Productions mods will be included.

In addition to the old music, voicesets and portraits, there will be new of each. The music will be scored by Sam Hulick, who also produced the music for the Mass Effect series. Portraits will be produced by Jason Manley, who used to be a portrait artist at Black Isle (I know he did some promotional artwork for SoA, I don't know what else he did).

That's the good news, and it's pretty good news at that. The worries about beamdog clients and DRM have been averted, there's new content going to be released (though depending on how much the paid stuff offers, there could be problems there) and the talent they have working on it has some very nice portfolios. Unfortunately, there's also some bad new to accompany it.

The original art assets are all lost, and replacing them is beyond the scale of the enhancement. That means that the areas cannot be rendered in any higher definition than they are now. It also means that there will be no new sprite animations and visible weapon/armour styles. New monster types are also not going to be added.

The only material that the devs have access to legally is from the BG series. That means nothing from Icewind Dale or Plancescape: Torment. Every part of material is off-limits, including portraits, monsters, spells, and sounds, unless that material is also in the Baldurs Gate series. It's still possible (and indeed I reckon likely) that the fanbase can port material form the other games (perhaps even with a creation similar to BGtutu), and the devs have no problems with that, but it will have to be undertaken by the modders without any official support.

Concerning altering of the old content (maps, encounters, NPCs), they have both legal and resource problems. They can add new encounters, tweak existing encounters, tweak items and item locations, and add minor text-only dialogue to characters, but that's pretty much it. They don't have the resources to redo everything, and their contractual limitations mean that everything they add has to be an expansion of the game and not significantly alter the original content.

All in all, though, the pluses far outweigh the cons, and some of the even negate them. For example, one of the things which is high up on the to-be-softcoded list is the animation files, so even though they won't be able to redo the animations they'll be able to open them up to the modders.

sonerohi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 17, 2012, 02:54:48 pm »

Downloadable?! No need to remember discs? Playing this daily at a minimum.
I picked up the stone and carved my name into the wind.

Catastrophic lolcats

• Bay Watcher
  • [FORTRESSDESTROYER:2]
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 17, 2012, 03:03:01 pm »

Downloadable?! No need to remember discs? Playing this daily at a minimum.
Have you never heard about gog.com? 

As for the rest of that massive wall of text I'm very happy about. I was expecting a lot worse. It really got me interested in thsi project again, we'll see how it turns out!

Twiggie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 30, 2012, 07:55:31 pm »

Felius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 30, 2012, 08:12:16 pm »

This looks awesome. Just hope they eventually release it on Steam. I really don't want to have to use yet one more distribution service (lemme see, so far: Steam, GoG, GamersGate, Gamestop (Former Stardock and Former Impulse), oh and a couple games at the old D2D, now migrated to another site).
"Why? We're the Good Guys, aren't we?"
"Yes, but that rather hinges on doing certain things and not doing others." - Paraphrased from Discworld.

Catastrophic lolcats

• Bay Watcher
  • [FORTRESSDESTROYER:2]
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 31, 2012, 12:10:13 am »

MDK II HD was recently released on Steam which used to be a Beamdog exclusive. So it might be possible we'll see it coming to Steam at some point. A little disappointing it will most likely make my retail and GOG edition obsolete however.

LeoLeonardoIII

• Bay Watcher
  • Plump Helmet McWhiskey
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 31, 2012, 10:56:53 am »

Ah, level 1 mages. Cast your magic missile for 1d4+1 then... boldly charge with your dagger and 4 HP.

Yeah you could charge into melee range with a 1d4 damage dagger once per round ... or throw three 1d3 damage darts per round from the back rank. I can't remember, did they have flaming oil and holy water in BG? 
The Expedition Map
Basement Stuck
Treebanned
Haunter of Birthday Cakes, Bearded Hamburger, Intensely Off-Topic

Twiggie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 31, 2012, 02:14:56 pm »

Ah, level 1 mages. Cast your magic missile for 1d4+1 then... boldly charge with your dagger and 4 HP.

Yeah you could charge into melee range with a 1d4 damage dagger once per round ... or throw three 1d3 damage darts per round from the back rank. I can't remember, did they have flaming oil and holy water in BG?
nope

anyone up for a playthrough in weekly sessions? i cant start at launch but will be able to about a week after

ed boy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 31, 2012, 03:50:59 pm »

nope

anyone up for a playthrough in weekly sessions? i cant start at launch but will be able to about a week after
I'd be up for that (provided that I can get it to work with uni internet). Hopefully with the way the multiplayer system works, it should be possible to easily to add/remove players, so there can be flexibility with the participants.

Kanil

• Bay Watcher
  • [T_WORD:PILLAR:kanil]
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 31, 2012, 04:05:07 pm »

Well, if you want to be all crafty and not die horribly, then you should do some non-combat quests for easy exp until you're level 3, then grab a ring of wizardry and be good to go... but that's not as fun, now is it?
Yah, it sounds like minecraft with content, you have obviously missed the point, people dont like content, they like different coloured blocks.
Seems to work fine with my copy. As soon as I loaded the human caravan came by and the world burst into fire.

Ghills

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 19, 2012, 08:44:37 am »

Well, this got pushed back a month. For consolation, GOG.com is having a sale on all D&D games.  And one lucky person can grab the still awesome Baldur's Gate 1 and 2 from GOG.com for free with this code:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Also, check out https://secure.gog.com/news/enhance_the_gameplay_in_your_edition_of_baldurs_gate_from_gogcom and https://secure.gog.com/en/forum/baldurs_gate_series/baldurs_gate_2_essential_mods/page1
I AM POINTY DEATH INCARNATE
Ye know, being an usurper overseer gone mad with power isn't too bad. It's honestly not that different from being a normal overseer.
To summarize:
They do an epic face. If that fails, they beat said object to death with their beard.

Twiggie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 19, 2012, 10:17:53 am »

im thinking about picking up planescape:torment, since i never played it but i hear good things about it.

any other suggestions from their list? i have bg, bg2, iwd. i've played nwn but never finished it and dont currently have a copy...

Sensei

• Bay Watcher
  • Haven't tried coffee crisps.
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 19, 2012, 10:21:00 am »

And one lucky person can grab the still awesome Baldur's Gate 1 and 2 from GOG.com for free with this code:

Snagged! Thanks bro.
Let's Play: Automation! Bay 12 Motor Company Buy the 1950 Urist Wagon for just $4500! Safety features optional.
The Bay 12 & Mates Discord Join now! Voice/text chat and play games with other Bay12'ers!
Add me on Steam: [DFC] Sensei

Ghills

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 19, 2012, 11:02:29 am »

im thinking about picking up planescape:torment, since i never played it but i hear good things about it.

any other suggestions from their list? i have bg, bg2, iwd. i've played nwn but never finished it and dont currently have a copy...

NWN is a good game to get, especially since there are a ton of mods for it.  The first single-player campaign isn't great, but the expansions are better and there are a lot of good mods.

Planescape: Torment builds a very nasty, very believable world - I started playing it at night and was so creeped out I uninstalled it immediately. It's a masterpiece of game design that communicates a story and emotions very effectively, but YMMV depending on personal taste.

And one lucky person can grab the still awesome Baldur's Gate 1 and 2 from GOG.com for free with this code:

Snagged! Thanks bro.

You're welcome! But, wrong gender. :)
I AM POINTY DEATH INCARNATE
Ye know, being an usurper overseer gone mad with power isn't too bad. It's honestly not that different from being a normal overseer.
To summarize:
They do an epic face. If that fails, they beat said object to death with their beard.

Bluerobin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: September 19, 2012, 03:25:40 pm »

Pretty psyched for this and it's gotten me back into the other D&D games (unfortunately a few weeks before the GOG.com sale... grr). I'm pretty sure I've thoroughly explored my options, but I'm looking for any D&D games based on 3.5 rules that aren't NWN2 or Icewind Dale 2 (already played them, they got me realizing I like the 3.5 edition rules/character customization the most). Are there any? Alternatively other games in that style with the similarly complex character creation options would be great.
The moment the lever was pulled, somebody's pet kitten stepped onto the bridge. I read somewhere that if a cat falls more than 11 stories, it instinctively flares its legs out to increase air resistance. This slows it down enough to stick the landing with relatively minor injuries. In Dwarf Fortress, apparently, cats don't do that.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4