Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 134

Author Topic: Delving the Tomb of Horrors: Lincoln is no match for Acererak!  (Read 357141 times)

USEC_OFFICER

• Bay Watcher
  • Pulls the strings and makes them ring.
    • View Profile
Delving the Tomb of Horrors: Not starved for choice.
« Reply #30 on: August 15, 2012, 05:49:22 pm »

cast detect magic and look for a stone hidden door

Seeing as this is Acererak's tomb, the ground beneath you faintly glows with magic. [20] Sampling the different magical fields, you determine that the entrance to the tomb must be buried somewhere in the sandy northern side of the hill face. (+2 bonus to anybody searching the tomb's entrance)

Also, I will search for herbs in the surrounding area.

[18] You easily find some herbs in the surrounding area. Of course your inventory is full, so you'll have to juggle some stuff around if you want to take them.

I'll search for signs of previous passage, natural paths and passages, downtrodden earth or signs of digging. The enterance must be here somewhere!

[4 + 5 + 2] [14 + 5 + 2] [4 + 5 + 2] Following Urist's instructions, you begin probing the northern side of the hill for the entrance to the tomb. After an hour or so of digging, you finally hit pay dirt. You find not one, not two, but three different corridors into the hill. Excited, you call everyone together, and within a couple of minutes everyone manages to dig a hole large enough for a person to squeeze through for each entrance. But, wouldn't you know it, it's pitch black inside the tomb, and without a source of light you wouldn't be able to see a thing.

Luckily for the group, the ranger Midna happened to be passing through the area and decided to investigate. Kadzar and the Generic Nameless Hooded Stranger (Who shall now be called GNHS for short) quickly fill her in about the Tomb of Horrors and the fabulous treasures within, while Gedric takes one of her torches to look inside the newly-discovered entrances.

The North-Western Entrance:

The roughly worked, plain stone corridor is full of cobwebs. A set of double oaken doors are just visible at the end of the passageway. The roof 20 feet overhead is obscured by hanging strands.

The corridor is twenty feet wide and thirty feet long. The corridor smells like it's hasn't been aired for several decades, and the air feels incredibly dry. The strands obscuring the ceiling look a lot like strings of giant spider silk, but whatever made them can't still be alive after all of these years, right?

The Northern-Most Entrance:

Brilliant colors are everywhere; pigments painted on stone are undimmed by the passage of decades. The floor is a colorful mosaic, featuring a distinct, winding path of red tiles forming a 2-foot-wide, meandering trail south down the corridor. A few chips and gaps reveal that cement or plaster covers the underlying stonework of the corridor, and it mostly provides a smooth surface for the many illustrated scenes.

The air in this corridor is as dry as the first, but the smell is more chemical, likely due to the brilliant frescos along the walls. The corridor is twenty feet wide, but extends deeper into the hill, far enough that you can't see the end of it. It's at least fifty feet long though, for that's the distance which the light of the torch extends. Or something like that. I'm probably being generous with how much light this torch sheds and how well you guys can see in the dark. Roll with me here.

The North-Eastern Entrance:

Two separate doors are dimly visible at the end of this roughly worked, plain stone corridor.

The module really describes this entrance in great depth, doesn't it? Anyway, like the entrances before it the air is incredibly dry, but this time flavoured with a slightly oily smell. The corridor is twenty feet wide (big surprise), the roof is ten feet high and the entrance is fifty feet long, since you can barely see the two doors with the torchlight.

Spoiler: Brave Adventurers (click to show/hide)

** My familiarity with the dungeon ends after the first 2 rooms. If I don't take point until we get there, would you be alright with me joining in? If so...

Well, it depends on what you mean exactly by rooms, but everything should be fine.

I'd suggest that somebody makes a map of this dungeon, since I'll be providing none and it'll be extremely useful later on. Just take some grid paper and make each square ten feet and you'll be fine. Now you'll obviously encounter some traps in the entrance, so try to be as specific as possible else I'd probably steer your character to his/her death or something just for fun. Also the numbers in the images indicate the number of the room in the module. You can safely ignore them, as your chances of going through the rooms in perfect order are slim to none.

OREOSOME

• Bay Watcher
  • Novice GM.
    • View Profile
Re: Delving the Tomb of Horrors: Not starved for choice.
« Reply #31 on: August 15, 2012, 05:53:36 pm »

"Wait a sec... that smells like lamp oil. " Redd stays away from the entrances, just incase of oil +plus lanternfall traps.
Ow! How the fuck do eldritch abominations bitchslap people?
With our pimp tentacles, obviously.

Doomblade187

• Bay Watcher
  • Requires music to get through the working day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: August 15, 2012, 06:00:06 pm »

"Let's not get too scared. I'll check the colorful corridor for traps. I'm pretty sure the red tiles there look like a path..."

GNHS cautiously moves forwards along the red path (and only on the red path- not touching any other tiles) as he searches for traps, starting at the very entrance to the corridor.
In any case it would be a battle of critical thinking and I refuse to fight an unarmed individual.
One mustn't stare into the pathos, lest one become Pathos.

Zako

• Bay Watcher
  • YEEEEAAAAHHHH!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: August 15, 2012, 06:35:57 pm »

"I think we need a lot more light sources if we are heading inside. I'll go make torches."

Go make a large bunch of torches out of things in the countryside.

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: August 15, 2012, 06:48:38 pm »

((PTW to know moar about this and D&D  :D))

killerhellhound

• Bay Watcher
  • Friendly Master of !!MEDICINE!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: August 15, 2012, 07:29:38 pm »

make a small fire ring on above my hand and inspect the frescos with the light
My Sig
Fluttershy jumps onto TCM, giving him a hug. "~Yay~"*Player TCM has left the server. Reason: HHHHNNNNNGGGG-

We Madmen are very ingenious.  Sometimes it just takes just a little less sanity to pull off something completely awesome.

Kadzar

• Bay Watcher
  • Descan Pengwind
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: August 15, 2012, 07:33:34 pm »

Also, I will search for herbs in the surrounding area.

[18] You easily find some herbs in the surrounding area. Of course your inventory is full, so you'll have to juggle some stuff around if you want to take them.
Seeing that he will not have enough room with everything else he is carrying to also carry the herbs he has found, Kadzar takes out his flint and steel, dropping it on the ground, reasoning that, when the time comes to make a fire, he will most likely be able to borrow one from someone else. He then puts the herbs in his pack, thinking to himself that he could carry more things if he could somehow make these herbs into a sash or, perhaps, a cloak of some sort. But, alas, he knows nothing of clothesmaking.
What if the earth is just a knick in one of the infinite swords of the mighty fractal bear?
Glory to Arstotzka!

jaass

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: August 15, 2012, 07:50:54 pm »

Whoops my mistake I meant arcane sight instead of arcane eye, can you change if it is still possible
----
I will take the herbs for Kadzar, anyways I will backup whoever decides the northwestern entrance, if possible cast arcane sight. I will used fireball if any monsters decide to show up.

Kadzar

• Bay Watcher
  • Descan Pengwind
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: August 15, 2012, 08:01:12 pm »

In that case, I will give my herbs to Gedric and pick up my flint and steel again.
What if the earth is just a knick in one of the infinite swords of the mighty fractal bear?
Glory to Arstotzka!

Solifuge

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: August 15, 2012, 09:06:00 pm »

** My familiarity with the dungeon ends after the first 2 rooms. If I don't take point until we get there, would you be alright with me joining in? If so...

Well, it depends on what you mean exactly by rooms, but everything should be fine.

Basically, my knowledge ends with the first area after the entrance halls.

For now, I can run to town and grab torches for anyone who needs them. I'm sure the town has a few... does anyone need some?
« Last Edit: August 15, 2012, 09:39:39 pm by Solifuge »

USEC_OFFICER

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Delving the Tomb of Horrors: You should have been ready before you got here.
« Reply #40 on: August 16, 2012, 11:11:44 am »

"Wait a sec... that smells like lamp oil. " Redd stays away from the entrances, just incase of oil +plus lanternfall traps.

Your entrance-avoidance abilities are admired by all.

"Let's not get too scared. I'll check the colorful corridor for traps. I'm pretty sure the red tiles there look like a path..."

GNHS cautiously moves forwards along the red path (and only on the red path- not touching any other tiles) as he searches for traps, starting at the very entrance to the corridor.

Cautiously you advance down the winding red path, searching for traps as you go.

[17 + 5] You find no traps in the first ten feet of the path, along the eastern wall.

[7 + 5] You find no traps in the next ten feet of the path, along the western wall.

[4 + 5] You find no traps in the next ten feet of the path, along the western wall where the painting of the wizard's workroom is.

[20 + 5] Using your cunning skills, you discover a pit trap in the next ten feet of the path (ie, forty feet in). As far as you can tell the trap is ten feet by ten feet and hugs the western wall. The red mosaic path also happens to run right through it, meaning that you're completely stuck. Well, until you decide to move off the red path that is.

"I think we need a lot more light sources if we are heading inside. I'll go make torches."

Go make a large bunch of torches out of things in the countryside.

You make a large bunch of torches but only Tybar and Redd take them, seeing as everybody else is at their item limit.

make a small fire ring on above my hand and inspect the frescos with the light

Following in GNHS's footsteps, you enter the corridor and cast a mini-wall of fire above your head, or something like that. Thus illuminated, you take a close look at the frescos you can see.

The images depict fields with cattle grazing, a copse with several wolves in the background, slaves—human, orc, elven, and strange human animal mixtures of pig-human, ape-human, and dog-human—going about various tasks. Certain frescoes are more focused and show rooms of some building—a library filled with many books and scrolls, a torture chamber, and a wizard’s work room. Chairs, windows, boxes, bales, doors, chests, birds, bats, spiders, and all manner of things appear on the walls.

GNHS happens to be blocking your view of the torture chamber painting, what with the pit trap and all, but you get a good look at the wizard's workroom from your position.

Two jackal-headed human figures in this painting are portrayed as if holding bronze chest—which is real, and protrudes slightly into the corridor! The chest is hinged on the bottom so as to allow the lid to swing down.

I will take the herbs for Kadzar, anyways I will backup whoever decides the northwestern entrance, if possible cast arcane sight. I will used fireball if any monsters decide to show up.

Seeing as nobody is going into the northwestern entrance, you do nothing at all. Well, you cast Arcane Sight, but you don't see anything new in the entranceway, so that was a bit of a waste.

In that case, I will give my herbs to Gedric and pick up my flint and steel again.

You pick up the flint and steel. Amazing.

Spoiler: Brave Adventurers (click to show/hide)

Kadzar

• Bay Watcher
  • Descan Pengwind
    • View Profile

I head to the northwestern entrance and inspect the cobwebs.
Glory to Arstotzka!

USEC_OFFICER

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I head to the northwestern entrance and inspect the cobwebs.

[12] The cobwebs appear to be just cobwebs.

Kadzar

• Bay Watcher
  • Descan Pengwind
    • View Profile

I try to open the door.
Glory to Arstotzka!

Zako

• Bay Watcher
  • YEEEEAAAAHHHH!!!
    • View Profile

I try to open the door.

That kind of attitude is going to get you killed.

Inspect both of the doors as best as I can tell from the enterance. Try to widen the holes out a bit more.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 134