Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 33 34 [35] 36 37 ... 134

Author Topic: Delving the Tomb of Horrors: Lincoln is no match for Acererak!  (Read 356969 times)

Kadzar

• Bay Watcher
  • Descan Pengwind
    • View Profile
Re: Delving the Tomb of Horrors: NOT THAT KIND OF GAME
« Reply #510 on: September 07, 2012, 06:00:40 pm »

Kadbot attempts to use his Sausage Casing and Grappling Ham to  remotely restrain the gargoyle.
What if the earth is just a knick in one of the infinite swords of the mighty fractal bear?
Glory to Arstotzka!

Solifuge

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #511 on: September 07, 2012, 06:45:33 pm »

I'll duck out of the gate room and back to the chapel, and suggest you try a coin or a flat blade. Also, is the O a ring-shaped depression, or a painted/fresco'd letter?

EDIT: It's painted. Nevermind.

After that, I'll enter the gate again for the sake of science, and check the room once more. We'll see just how much of a troll Acererak is.

Kestrel_6

• Bay Watcher
  • The goddamn Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #512 on: September 07, 2012, 08:15:56 pm »

get out of the room
Kestrel, ITS A TRAP! It's luring you into false security! DON'T FALL FOR IT!!
Tomb of Horrors can pretty much be summarized by "ackbar.jpg"

Hanslanda

• Bay Watcher
  • Baal's More Evil American Twin
    • View Profile
« Reply #513 on: September 07, 2012, 09:08:11 pm »

Whatever. :P The player map. But I'm too lazy to look for it. Instead, I followed Wall and Kadbot, and now attack the gargoyle with my bow.
Well, we could put two and two together and write a book: "The Shit that Hans and Max Did: You Won't Believe This Shit."
He's fucking with us.

Kadzar

• Bay Watcher
  • Descan Pengwind
    • View Profile
« Reply #514 on: September 07, 2012, 09:42:22 pm »

Can you even get to us? We're at the beginning of the dungeon, near the fresco hall (though we have made some twists and turns from there to get where we are, so maybe not so near it after all). The point is, I'm not so sure you can get from the sphere hall to where we are.
What if the earth is just a knick in one of the infinite swords of the mighty fractal bear?
Glory to Arstotzka!

Zako

• Bay Watcher
  • YEEEEAAAAHHHH!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #515 on: September 07, 2012, 09:46:50 pm »

Carefully examine the box to see if it's covered in something nasty and then open it while carefully facing it away from me. Then check the inside for traps and if it's clear, grab that ring and take it to a mage to see if he can identify it for me.

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #516 on: September 07, 2012, 09:47:59 pm »

Head back out of the 10x10 room with nothing in it. Move toward combat.

I bet the ring goes in the coin slot.

Holy crap, why did I not start watching One Punch Man earlier? This is the best thing.
probably figured an autobiography wouldn't be interesting

RedWarrior0

• Bay Watcher
  • she/her
    • View Profile
« Reply #517 on: September 07, 2012, 10:00:15 pm »

After that, I'll enter the gate again for the sake of science, and check the room once more. We'll see just how much of a troll Acererak is.

Eh, this version has too many saves on the instant death traps, and the Siren from the original... Since it's not in this version, is there a chance I can let people know about it?

E: Anyone mind if I map-keep? I'll be using the official map, but with things hidden that players don't need to see and unconnected passages jostled around so as to avoid anybody getting fully oriented.
« Last Edit: September 07, 2012, 10:08:33 pm by RedWarrior0 »

USEC_OFFICER

• Bay Watcher
  • Pulls the strings and makes them ring.
    • View Profile
« Reply #518 on: September 07, 2012, 10:10:04 pm »

As long as you don't say anything about where the Siren could be found or what they replaced it with, I guess that it'll be fine. I'm assuming that you've read the 3.5 module, so keep an eye on that and don't spoil anything in it.

RedWarrior0

• Bay Watcher
  • she/her
    • View Profile
« Reply #519 on: September 07, 2012, 10:18:13 pm »

Yeah, I've read the 3.5 and only know what I know about the original from hearsay. Essentially, 3.5 version is tame compared to original.

This is mostly to make a point of how much of a dick Acererak is, and comes from the Tomb of Horrors page on TVTropes.

Complete Monster: As a "private" joke, Acererak kidnapped a kind and beautiful Siren put her under an enchantment and traps her in a cavern inside the Tomb of Horrors. Most players would react on the Siren as being a trap or just one of many monster and possibly killing her instead of trying to help her and ask her to come with them.
[/quote]The Woobie: The Siren in the original version of the Tomb of Horrors. Trapped inside the tomb as an personal joke by Acererak. She is cursed so she can't leave the cavern she is trapped in, and neither can she say how to lift the curse, she can only hope the players "Ask her to join them" to lift her curse. Ofcourse most players would suspect the Siren to be just one of many traps, a shmuck bait or just a monster or simply take one of the bag of holdings resting beside her, resulting in her being erased from existence[/quote]

Dwarmin

• Bay Watcher
  • Where do we go from here?
    • View Profile
« Reply #520 on: September 07, 2012, 10:29:51 pm »

@Redwar: There's a bit deeper reasoning than him just being a dick, but that's mostly it.

Dohohoho
Dwarmin's fell gaze has fallen upon you. Sadly, Your life and your quest end here, at this sig.

"The hats never coming off."

RedWarrior0

• Bay Watcher
  • she/her
    • View Profile
« Reply #521 on: September 07, 2012, 10:48:58 pm »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #522 on: September 07, 2012, 10:55:53 pm »

Note: Played a bastardized version of the original (molded to fit a homebrew), have never touched the 3.5 version.
Note 2: Spoiler tags are schmuck bait.

Holy crap, why did I not start watching One Punch Man earlier? This is the best thing.
probably figured an autobiography wouldn't be interesting

Zako

• Bay Watcher
  • YEEEEAAAAHHHH!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #523 on: September 07, 2012, 11:00:46 pm »

Dammit, your right! I fell for it!

USEC_OFFICER

• Bay Watcher
  • Pulls the strings and makes them ring.
    • View Profile
« Reply #524 on: September 07, 2012, 11:54:13 pm »

Wall ignores the boring room and hits the gargoyle with his sword as many times as possible, yelling "YAY!" in a giddy, childlike way as he finally gets to show off his combat prowess.

[AUTOSUCCESS] Wall and the gargoyle fighting is like... two really heavy blunt objects smashing into each other. Repeatedly. 1 damage 1 damage

I stay AWAY from the Portal, and help investigate the mysterious O on the wall.

[17 + 5] Unless you feel like shoving something into the slot, the O remains as mysterious as ever.

Brecan shall try to find something to put in the slot!

You can put lots of things into the slot! Gold coins, fingers, rings, swords, gems, bolts, sticks, pointy things, belts, darts, splinters...

Kadbot attempts to use his Sausage Casing and Grappling Ham to  remotely restrain the gargoyle.

With quick thinking and terrible dexterity, Kadbot flings the sausage casings around the gargoyle's legs.

[2] Being made out of intestines, the casings restrain the gargoyle for all of two seconds. Even worse, the gargoyle has smashed the grappling ham under its feet!

You should know by now that Acererak is the greatest troll.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

get out of the room

You quickly run out of the room.

Nothing else seems to happen, and you seem to be free of random crossbow bolts.

Whatever. :P The player map. But I'm too lazy to look for it. Instead, I followed Wall and Kadbot, and now attack the gargoyle with my bow.

Unless you want to follow in Midna's footsteps, you can't join Wall and Kadbot in their epic fight against a four-armed gargoyle.

Carefully examine the box to see if it's covered in something nasty and then open it while carefully facing it away from me. Then check the inside for traps and if it's clear, grab that ring and take it to a mage to see if he can identify it for me.

To cut a (very) long story short the box and the ring are not dangerous at all.

Dr. Malpracteece does a little pocket magicing on the side by identifying the magic ring as a +1 ring of protection!

For obvious reasons, I will not be specifying what a +1 ring of protection does.

Head back out of the 10x10 room with nothing in it. Move toward combat.

Unless you can move through walls or want to pick a fight with your fellow adventurers, you can't move towards combat.

Spoiler: Brave Adventurers (click to show/hide)

Can you even get to us? We're at the beginning of the dungeon, near the fresco hall (though we have made some twists and turns from there to get where we are, so maybe not so near it after all). The point is, I'm not so sure you can get from the sphere hall to where we are.

Unless I'm reading the map wrong, you have four different ways to go from the hallway of spheres to the fresco hallway. Midna found one, which leaves three more ways to get back, though I doubt that you'll find all of them.

E: Anyone mind if I map-keep? I'll be using the official map, but with things hidden that players don't need to see and unconnected passages jostled around so as to avoid anybody getting fully oriented.

I don't mind, and Lich180 is too busy to work on his own map. Go ahead.

Yeah, I've read the 3.5 and only know what I know about the original from hearsay. Essentially, 3.5 version is tame compared to original.

I'll have to read the original version sometime, because the 3.5 version seems pretty damn devious to me.

This dungeon doesn't really have a plot, so it's not really spoilery. Now I don't have the original module, so I'm not sure what the Siren knows about the dungeon, but if I had to guess, Acererak probably fed her false information to screw the party over later. Or maybe the nicest adventurers have the tastiest souls. :P
Pages: 1 ... 33 34 [35] 36 37 ... 134