Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Transforming pets into civilians  (Read 4059 times)

peregarrett

• Bay Watcher
  • Гномовержец Enjoyed throwing someone recently
    • View Profile
Transforming pets into civilians
« on: August 14, 2012, 04:51:51 am »

I got some questions.
I take a tame dog and transform it into another creature through CE_BODY_TRANSFORMATION, or just set of CE_ADD/REMOVE_TAG.
Will resulting creature remain as a domestic animal?
If that creature is creature of entity your're playing with, will it become member of your fortress, do jobs and such?
What should that creature's raws have to allow recruiting them into military? INTELIGENT, CAN_SPEAK/LEARN, EQUIPS or anything else?

The goal is to transform tame animals into fully qualified squad, with ability to give orders.
« Last Edit: August 14, 2012, 04:55:12 am by peregarrett »
Did you know that the Russian word for "sock" is "no sock"?
I just saw a guy with two broken legs push a minecart with a corpse in it. Yeah.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
Re: Transforming pets into civilians
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2012, 11:29:31 am »

I think it would stay a domestic animal, but I don't know.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Hugo_The_Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • Modding Mentor
    • View Profile
    • Regeneration: Forced Evolution
« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2012, 12:26:39 pm »

You and you cannot do as you wish, not without some labor into the matter.

You see if anything has the word (stray) in its name labor, work, military is impossible. As they are, and forever will be a PET.

Only way to get what you want is make a male and female breeding creature.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

You can convert any male/female creature into the breeders, then they will give birth to a special creature that counts as a member of the fortress, but not a PET allowing you to say transform it into a Dwarf.

Once transformed it can to labor but not military. Why you ask? because the newly transformed creature is not a HISTORICAL FIGURE, now how does one become historical?
1. Making an Artifact through strange mood/Masterwork item from great skills
2. Making a Notable Kill

If you have any more questions ask away, As I have this system In Regen.

peregarrett

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2012, 12:56:17 pm »

Wow, Hugo, that's quite a master-class!

So, it's CAN_LEARN that makes child not Stray, right? So my scheme should look like:

Take Stray Tigers - male and female;
Transform them into Stray Tigerions, who are tigers with CAN_LEARN/SPEAK for a pregnancy period, and also CREATURE:TIGERION of elven entity (is it nesessary?);
Wait for non-stray Tigerion kittens to appear and mature;
Send Tigerions against captured goblins for notable kills.

Am I right?
I just saw a guy with two broken legs push a minecart with a corpse in it. Yeah.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2012, 01:13:51 pm »

I think that the (Stray) tag might be something completely different, like the "is having a mood" tag or the "is flying through the air and about to die" tag. I know that trolls become (stray) and don't do work, so there's that idea down the drain.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Hugo_The_Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • Modding Mentor
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2012, 02:09:17 pm »

I forgot to mention only the *embarked* race can be given labors/military

So your Tigerion would have to be a super rare caste of ELF If you like I can post the entire method (creautres, castes, interactions, etc.) on how it's done.

And unless Tigerion's have PRONE_TO_RAGE they will flee from anything hostile due to them being Civvies, and thus suffer from the "OH GOD IT'S A 'X' RUN!" where-as PRONE_TO_RAGE overwrites that when they become enraged. after they become a historical figure (you can tell by looking at their relationship and if they have a deity you're good to go)

You might have to play Regen to really get to see how it works. You might have to alter the building raws and some reactions to allow for quick usage.

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2012, 03:08:16 pm »

You can have a look at the boordlords / broodmothers and the dwarven caste: slave in the raws of my mod. I already include that, using the system hugo described.
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

peregarrett

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 15, 2012, 01:32:11 am »

Oh. If the resulting creature has to be the creature I'm playing with... Is it possible to forbid mating of certain castes? say, MALE with FEMALE are allowed, and TIGERION_MALE with TIGERION_FEMALE are also, but MALE with TIGERION_FEMALE are forbiden, as well as TIGERION_MALE with FEMALE.
Though, zoophilic elves.......  :o :D 8)

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 15, 2012, 08:33:29 am »

Impossible.
Sig

peregarrett

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 15, 2012, 09:13:14 am »

Impossible.
You're infected by Putnamia!

Hugo_The_Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • Modding Mentor
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 15, 2012, 12:18:08 pm »

You will have to allow only elves to breed, all other male/female castes should be super rare and sterile/genderless depending on how you do it.

It avoide oddies of a Tiger giving birth to a Elf and a elf giving birth to a tiger.

Courtesy Arloban

• Bay Watcher
  • This isn't a fortress... ...It's also not a map.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 15, 2012, 12:36:24 pm »

So what would be the best way to have contracted"Pet Value, Tame, War" minions similar to Rts's?
Maybe that the dwarves never died and everyone is just shunning them.
"Wait, what are you doing?  I don't want to go in there!  No, I'm still alive, you can't do this to me!  Is Anybody listening?  Hello... Can someone let me out?  Help me!  Is anyone there?  I'm running out of air!"

Hugo_The_Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • Modding Mentor
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 15, 2012, 01:08:15 pm »

Contracted as in "Embark/trade for" and have them do stuff?

Oddly Enough adding [PET][PET_VALUE] to a caste of the race you play as allows you to "hire" more people BUT you cannot assign them labors, however they still do PEASENT jobs like hauling and can be placed into the army. So:

See castes MALE_HUMAN and MALE_HUMAN_MAGE for how it is done.
Spoiler: Hiring Units (click to show/hide)
This ^^ will allow you too effectivly hire "soldier/hualing" duty soldiers only, also I don't think you can add them into noble positions. So the starting 7/naturally born non-pet members will have to lead them in squads.

But to have a "minion" breeding system, Meph's Comes the closest with the "spawn is born, then secretes transforming syndrome, turns into minion" I used to do that, but then I figured I could have much more control over what minion I wanted to make, by giving an interaction to transform "spawn" into my desired "Minion"

I think somewhere in my Regen Thread I have a list/diagram of how things/minions are made.

However if you go my route or even Meph's simple instant minion method then you need to have a "training" building

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

This building allows you to set a minion to do a spacfic labor that no normal dwarf/civ would do, and constantly remake the tool "training bag" until masterwork then they become historical and thus drafted into the army. allowing you to breed, transform, then train minions for war.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 15, 2012, 10:21:36 pm »

The [STERILE] tag does nothing as a creature tag, it only works in syndromes.
Sig

Hugo_The_Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • Modding Mentor
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 15, 2012, 11:27:05 pm »

The [STERILE] tag does nothing as a creature tag, it only works in syndromes.
Good thing to note, but that can be included in the transformation syndrome.
Pages: [1] 2 3