Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Horseshoe Crabs - The Ultimate Training Opponent  (Read 2551 times)

Nathail

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Modder
    • View Profile
Horseshoe Crabs - The Ultimate Training Opponent
« on: August 14, 2012, 06:43:48 pm »

I see a lot of posts and comments about people getting killed instantly by everyday bandits and archers. The more experienced players recommend finding some harmless animal, wrestling it until all its limbs are broken and its teeth are scattered about, and just relaxing while the jellified creature attempts to push you to death. This is unnecessary.

Horseshoe Crabs have no arms to punch and scratch with, no legs to kick with, and no teeth to bite with. All they can do is push. And they litter the coastline like tourists in California.

A few extra tips: Lay down next to the Horseshoe crab to reduce your speed so it can get in more hits per turn. make use of the command-r and command-p commands to set up a macro for waiting. Set your attack settings to close combat so you don't accidentally wound the crab, and your dodge setting to stand ground so you don't hop out of range of the crab, and make sure you are out of range of the waves so they don't carry you away from the crab or visa-versa.

After one day of Crab-Grinding, you will be very difficult to kill. You will dodge or block most melee attacks, and ranged weapons will be easily dodged. Your fighter skill will also be well over legendary, so attacks with almost any weapon will hit even if you are unskilled in using it. Your strength, toughness, and dexterity stats will likely be superhuman, and several other important ones such as spatial sense will be at least above average. After five days, more-or-less the only thing that could kill you would be the mummy's curse combined with a large group of zombie and skeletal monsters. So stay out of tombs and catacombs, and you'll be just fine.

Warning Horseshoe Crab's push attacks can smash apart fragile bits such as toenails, fingernails, and ears. Smashed body parts cannot heal and will be infected, and as infections cannot be cured in adventure mode, this is a death sentence. So be sure to wear metal gauntlets, boots and a helm.

Incantatar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Horseshoe Crabs - The Ultimate Training Opponent
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2012, 03:37:57 am »

Skill progression obviously needs to be related to the type of enemy and the skill level. E.g. crabs shouldn't advance your skills when you are above novice levels.
Powerleveling is so easy in adventure mode. With macros there is no effort to be legendary in fighting, dodging, shield, armor, ambushing, swimming, knapping, throwing.
Otoh playing without reloading kinda makes it necessary to do this stuff, if you don't want to constantly make new characters.

ilmor

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2012, 05:56:31 am »

Skill progression obviously needs to be related to the type of enemy and the skill level. E.g. crabs shouldn't advance your skills when you are above novice levels.

Also it would be nice (and realistic) if you could only learn so much during a day. You can't become a master of fighting in one day in real life.

Powerleveling is so easy in adventure mode. With macros there is no effort to be legendary in fighting, dodging, shield, armor, ambushing, swimming, knapping, throwing.
Otoh playing without reloading kinda makes it necessary to do this stuff, if you don't want to constantly make new characters.

That's true. Right now, andveture mode is either to hard (withoupt powerleveling) or way to easy (with powerleveling).

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2012, 07:18:06 am »

To me it just seems like one of those exploits you can choose to use or ignore. But the idea that experience is gained based of relative skill levels is interesting.

Incantatar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2012, 07:45:10 am »

To me it just seems like one of those exploits you can choose to use or ignore. But the idea that experience is gained based of relative skill levels is interesting.
It's definately possible to ignore it but i'm not sure if it's feasible atm. Do you know any recent lets plays/aars of a peasant or hero adventurer making it to the top without powerleveling or reloading? Would be a great feat.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2012, 07:47:07 am »

It's definately possible to ignore it but i'm not sure if it's feasible atm. Do you know any recent lets plays/aars of a peasant or hero adventurer making it to the top without powerleveling or reloading? Would be a great feat.
I'm making plans ^_^