Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: A very demanding Strange Mood  (Read 3617 times)

cats

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
A very demanding Strange Mood
« on: August 14, 2012, 11:59:37 pm »

I had a dwarf child go into a strange mood and claim a craftsdwarf's workshop. No big deal.

I check back on him later, and see that he's gathering a lot of wood. At about 50 wood, I started to wonder what was going on. Oh, he'll probably hit some magic limit to dwarven enthusiasm. After 100 wood, with no idea what was up, I checked the wiki and forums.

After reading about http://dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/Planepacked I took him out of his burrow. I have all children and babies in a burrow that keeps them away from really dangerous areas, like outside the city walls and deep underground. He had access to all the materials he wanted, but being in the burrow made him gather wood endlessly. When free of the burrow, he started to gather other materials.

By the time I figured it out, he had gathered 252 logs. Then he proceeded to add: goose leather, vulture leather, giant earthworm leather, rough pyrites, limonite gizzard stones and turkey leather.

Etur Sakrithled works secretly...until one day, on 1st Limestone, 264

Etur Sakrithled, Dwarven Child has created Edosshetbeth, a highwood trumpet!

Weight: 2 (TWO?????)
Basic Value: 321600

This is a highwood trumpet. All craftsdwarfship is of the highest quality. It is encrusted with round limonite cabochons, decorated with alder, blood thorn, oak, chestnut, birch, ash, willow, larch, highwood, fungiwood, spore tree and giant earthworm leather and encircled with bands of blood thorn, tower-cap, maple, birch, ash, alter, chestnut, oak, highwood, acacia, willow, fungiwood and vulture leather. This object is adorned with hanging rings of birch, chestnut, blood thorn, oak, ash, willow, alder, highwood, acacia and tunnel tube and menaces with spikes of fungiwood, palm, acacia, candlenut, blood thorn, highwood, oak, birch, chestnut, ash, alder, mango wood, larch, willow, tunnel tube, saguaro rib wood, goose leather and pyrite.

On the item is an image of pear cut gems in highwood. On the item is an image of a square brilliant cut gem in willow. On the item is an image of a white-spotted puffer in blood thorn. On the item is an image of Lokum Daggercopper the dwarf and dwarves in blood thorn. Lokum Daggercopper is surrounded by the dwarves. The artwork relates to the appointment of the dwarf Logum Daggercopper to the position of outpost liason of the Blockade of Quickness in the late autumn of 254.

On the item is an image of Rith Wanedsabre the dwarf and Morul Stormroad the dwarf in blood thorn. Morul Stormroad is striking down Rith Wanedsabre. The artwork relates to the killing of the dwarf Rith Wanedsabre by the dwarf Morul Stormroad in Toolheld in the early winter of 251.

On the item is an image of Dastot Paddledhide the dwarf in blood thorn. On the item is an image of brown recluse spider men in blood thorn. On the item is an image of a nether-cap in blood thorn.

On the item is an image of Datan Idolsteels the dwarf and dwarves in blood thorn. Datan Idolsteels is surrounded by the dwarves. The artwork relates to tthe acceptance of the ghostly dwarf Datan Idolsteels as a member of The Blockade of Quickness in the midsummer of 252.

On and on, the description goes on for pages

On the item is an image of Cloudbeans the native gold mechanisms in blood thorn.

On the item is an image of Amazedtwinkled the highwood trumpet in highwood. On the item is an image of Amazedtwinkled the highwood trumpet in chestnut.

Until finally

On the item is an image of Tobul Tincloisters the dwarf and The Cosmos of Patterns the perfect turquoise in blood thorn. Tobul Tincloisters is raising The Cosmos of Patterns. The artwork relates to the creation of The Cosmos of Patterns in Toolheld by the dwarf Tobul Tincloisters in the early winter of 254.

On the item is an image of Domas Flagpassions the dwarf in blood thorn. On the item is an image of a forgotten beast in turkey leather.

The child is now a Legendary Wood Crafter (I should hope so), and his first task after completing an artifact trumpet: Drink.

WaffleEggnog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: A very demanding Strange Mood
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2012, 12:30:28 am »

Dayum, all I get are Kea bone scepters. Lucky.....
WHEN POSSIBLE, I PREFER TO CONSUME YOUR FACE.

acetech09

• Bay Watcher
  • Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2012, 12:34:52 am »

The weight is two because decorations don't add weight. It's still a wooden trumpet.
I challenge you to a game of 'Hide the Sausage', to the death.

Joben

• Bay Watcher
  • Elder Thing
    • View Profile
    • Lazy Lizard Gear
« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2012, 12:47:52 am »

I bet when he was done he had to climb out of a gigantic pile of wood shavings like a haystack. :D
Broken Arrow - A small stats tweak to fix unrealistically overpowered arrows and bolts.

My RTD games: Roll To Raptor (On hold), Dino Arena

weenog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2012, 12:50:33 am »

The weight is two because decorations don't add weight. It's still a wooden trumpet.

Too bad they don't.  Deliberately invoking the Planepacked glitch with a weaponsmithing mood might make for some really incredible bludgeons.
Listen up: making a thing a ‼thing‼ doesn't make it more awesome or extreme.  It simply indicates the thing is on fire.  Get it right or look like a silly poser.

It's useful to keep a ‼torch‼ handy.

Sus

• Bay Watcher
  • For ‼SCIENCE‼!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2012, 12:58:35 am »

I love how the thing has two images of itself in different woods on it.  :D
Certainly you could argue that DF is a lot like The Sims, only... you know... with more vomit and decapitation.
If you launch a wooden mine cart towards the ocean at a sufficient speed, you can have your entire dwarf sail away in an ark.

JackOSpades

• Bay Watcher
  • Lurker Supreme
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2012, 01:06:05 am »

Too bad they don't.  Deliberately invoking the Planepacked glitch with a weaponsmithing mood might make for some really incredible bludgeons.

or a weapon too heavy to be wielded by mortal hands... oh wait danger rooms create dwaven war-gods right nvm  :P

hjd_uk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 15, 2012, 08:51:25 am »

A Dwarven Hammer so massive that it isn't swung, the world comes up to meet it.

Blargityblarg

• Bay Watcher
  • rolypolyrolypolyrolypoly
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 15, 2012, 08:57:42 am »

The anvil to the hammer that is Reality.
Blossom of orange
Shit, nothing rhymes with orange
Wait, haikus don't rhyme

mastahcheese

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 20% less sanity and trans fat!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 20, 2012, 09:27:44 pm »

sigging
Oh look, I have a steam account.
Might as well chalk it up to Pathos.
As this point we might as well invoke interpretive dance and call it a day.
The Derail Thread

ObeseHelmet

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 20, 2012, 10:27:38 pm »

The only ever deliberate Planepacked I've ever done was a statue. But somehow, the child doing it seems more more impressive...

Mine did have a great name though, something like "The Daggers of <insert something violent here>".