Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: Minecart Dwarfputing Ideas and Discussion  (Read 19143 times)

BloodBeard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Minecart Dwarfputing Ideas and Discussion
« Reply #30 on: September 19, 2012, 04:19:55 pm »

There's probably a name for something like this but I don't know. There are 8 bits represented by the pressure plates, and the minecart/green gear on the far right will activate whichever of the 8 bits are selected. The 8 vertical newton cradles decide which bits are to be selected. The current selection right now is 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 1, so when the far right cart is activated it will collide with the 1 bit selector cart and rest on the 1 bit plate. Of course the 1 bit selector cart (the second one to the right) will in turn activate all the other bits momentarily before stopping at the far left, but some kind of delay could be added so only the selected bit signals get through. The far left roller is then activated to turn the selected bits off.

Now, this is far more complex than it needs to be. This kind of thing can be done through gear logic and 8 power-to-signal converters easy enough, but with the addition of other pressure plates on the empty tracks it's possible to do more complex things. Maybe. I just think it looks cool regardless of it's usefulness and wanted to post it.

Oh and I haven't actually tried it in game, so i'm not sure if there's enough momentum for a full 9 carted chain reaction. I'm hoping there is.
« Last Edit: September 19, 2012, 04:23:24 pm by BloodBeard »

TinyPirate

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: September 26, 2012, 07:00:06 am »

I’ve made another DF video - this time providing step-by-step instruction on how to make a minecart logic system… well, a piece thereof, a memory cell to be precise. In this video I use the memory cell to keep a bridge close after any of a number of pressure plates are triggered. The bridge will only open again when we have a lever flipped. Hope this is helpful and helps, maybe a little, explain how my automatic shotgun computing system works.

Kaos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: October 24, 2012, 01:52:36 am »

8-bit something or other

There's probably a name for something like this but I don't know.
8-bits are called a byte or an octet in computer science. With it you can represent 256 different states, any number between 0 and 255. It's commonly used to store character data, like all the letters of the alphabet (lower and upper case), the digits 0 to 9, punctuation characters and some special symbols. Basically the standard 256 ASCII characters.
« Last Edit: October 24, 2012, 01:54:40 am by Kaos »

fourpotatoes

• Bay Watcher
  • N DSD & Sw
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: November 24, 2012, 09:08:01 pm »

I've developed a counter based on the Newton's-cradle memory cell. There are two key modifications to the basic cell: first, I added a spur that the cart bumped from the middle runs along before it reaches the main rollers, and second, I altered the cell so that instead of writing a '1' or '0' directly, it inverts its value on a rising edge. (This is distinct from the modified load-adjusted memory cell: the modified load-adjusted cell inverts on any edge.)

Spoiler: Earlier designs (click to show/hide)

The final design I settled on is fast, mechanically simpler and has no idle power consumption, but it takes up slightly more space. The key is that instead of using a reset roller to push the cart back onto the set roller when the input signal goes low, it instead uses a "hold-off" roller to keep pushing the cart onto a ramp, preventing it from reaching the set roller until the input goes low. This cart-return mechanism works on the same principle as the ramped power-to-signal converter.

The orthoclase gear is initially off. When the input goes high, all rollers are powered and the cell's value inverts. The cart bounced out of the cradle derails onto the ramp, then rolls down toward the hold-off roller. The hold-off roller bounces the cart back to the ramp, keeping it from reaching the set roller until the input goes low and the rollers all turn off.

The pressure plate on the spur a cart rolls along when the cell transitions from '1' to '0' is linked to the orthoclase gear in the next cell over.

All ramps are constructed E-W track ramps with a solid ceiling above. Without a solid ceiling, this design may send carts flying.

In testing, I found that there must be space between the hold-off roller and the ramp. Putting the roller on the ramp prevented the cell from resetting under certain circumstances. The walls alongside the reset track are important: if they're not present and input stays high for long enough, the cart will fly out that side. Finally, the return track must derail onto the E-W track ramp, not onto the hold-off roller: If the cell is operated from a pressure plate, no problems will happen, but if it's operated from a lever, it's possible to flip the input fast enough that the hold-off roller will be off by the time the cart reaches it, preventing the cart from reaching the set roller. If the cart derails onto the ramp, it'll always return to the set roller.

If overhead space is available, this design can be made more compact by putting the gear in the middle of the cell and taking power from a bus on the z-level above.

If used in a design that waits for the counter to reach a particular value, I recommend briefly turning off power to the comparator every time the clock goes high. If held off for 100 ticks plus the worst-case time for a carry to propagate through your counter, this should prevent you from reading incorrect values.

Veylon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: December 21, 2012, 12:21:48 am »

Okay, after some fiddling, I've got a simple OR gate going on:

Code: [Select]
Tracks & Walls:
/=\=\
| |W|
| |W|
| |W|
\=⊥=/

Mechanical Bits:
 /=\=\
 | OW|
 V1^W|
PV2^W|
 \=^=/

W Wall
1 & 2 Inputs
P Power source gear
O Pressure Plate Output
V & ^ Rollers at Medium Speed

The principle is that when none of the inputs are on, the cart moves around the outer track and never hits the plate.
If any input (and there can be any number, the design can be stretched vertically) is on, the rollers in the center get power and throw the cart across the pressure plate. Normally, it would derail, but those walls in between tracks prevent this.

The AND is similarly simple; the vertical chain of inputs can be replaced with a horizontal chain instead with the design stretched horizontally instead of vertically.

For both of these, the pressure plate could naturally be placed on the outside loop to make NOR and NAND gates. I'd have to tinker to figure out how to do XOR and XNOR gates, but apparently that only requires one mechanism in mechanical logic anyway, so it probably doesn't matter.

One interesting side effect is that if the rollers are set to lowest power, the minecart doesn't move quickly enough to complete even this short loop before the plate resets, allowing a pulse effect to be built right in.
« Last Edit: December 21, 2012, 12:46:47 am by Veylon »
At what point did the suggestion of child sacrifice become the more ethical option?

mnjiman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: April 02, 2013, 08:52:19 pm »

I love you all.
I was thinking more along the lines of this legendary champion, all clad in dented and dinged up steel plate, his blood-drenched axe slung over his back, a notch in the handle for every enemy that saw the swing of that blade as the last sight they ever saw, a battered shield strapped over his arm... and a fluffy, pink stuffed hippo hidden discretely in his breastplate.

Gentlefish

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING: balloon-like qualities]
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: April 03, 2013, 12:56:43 am »

...Hey. With that compact 8-bit, you could make just 4 of them and have them activate all to spell various 4-letter words couldn't you? Something like "I<3DF" spelled by activated hatches because of minecart collisions isn't too far away.

Of course, the 256x4 levers would be an issue.

TinyPirate

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: August 23, 2014, 05:28:58 am »

Hey, a bump because I'm wondering if anyone has used the fact that track stops can be toggled by other systems to make interesting mechanisms. It's something I've been pondering!
Pages: 1 2 [3]