Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Gamer's Fatigue  (Read 3428 times)

GreatJustice

• Bay Watcher
  • ☭The adventure continues (refresh)☭
    • View Profile
Gamer's Fatigue
« on: August 16, 2012, 12:05:34 pm »

For the past five or so years, I've had problems sticking to a single game. Whenever I get a new one and find that I like it, I have a tendency to become addicted and play it and only it for hours on end. Unfortunately, this then leads to me becoming tired of the game, not getting around to finishing it, and basically tossing it aside. I have the same problem with music as well, which is arguably worse, where I find a good song, listen to it for hours straight (while doing other stuff of course), and promptly get tired of it.

However, this doesn't seem to apply to multiplayer games as much (Gmod, CSS, etc) or games that basically require you grind levels into your brain to succeed at (Audiosurf especially, which I picked up something like a year ago and still play somewhat actively to this day, the Touhou series to a lesser degree in that I usually get back to it at some point). But it does apply to multiplayer games featuring long term projects; for example, when I get involved in B12 activities in other games, I typically am on almost always in the beginning, and slowly drift out as time passes. This is an incredibly irritating thing, and I'd prefer if I could find a way not to lose interest so fast. Any advice?
The person supporting regenerating health, when asked why you can see when shot in the eye justified it as 'you put on an eyepatch'. When asked what happens when you are then shot in the other eye, he said that you put an eyepatch on that eye. When asked how you'd be able to see, he said that your first eye would have healed by then.

Professional Bridge Toll Collector?

Prometheusmfd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Gamer's Fatigue
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2012, 03:39:32 pm »

For the past five or so years, I've had problems sticking to a single game. Whenever I get a new one and find that I like it, I have a tendency to become addicted and play it and only it for hours on end. Unfortunately, this then leads to me becoming tired of the game, not getting around to finishing it, and basically tossing it aside. I have the same problem with music as well, which is arguably worse, where I find a good song, listen to it for hours straight (while doing other stuff of course), and promptly get tired of it.

However, this doesn't seem to apply to multiplayer games as much (Gmod, CSS, etc) or games that basically require you grind levels into your brain to succeed at (Audiosurf especially, which I picked up something like a year ago and still play somewhat actively to this day, the Touhou series to a lesser degree in that I usually get back to it at some point). But it does apply to multiplayer games featuring long term projects; for example, when I get involved in B12 activities in other games, I typically am on almost always in the beginning, and slowly drift out as time passes. This is an incredibly irritating thing, and I'd prefer if I could find a way not to lose interest so fast. Any advice?

That actually is a pretty standard situation. Try returning to your games after a bit of time has passed (a bit of time being weeks or months, depending on who you are). And, if you can, try to put the game aside when you first start getting bored of it so it does not gain a chore-like feel, making it easier to cycle back to.
I just googled that phrase and found nothing. Congratulations, those three words in that order have never been typed into the googleable internet before! Until now.

DarkWolfXV

• Bay Watcher
  • Infernally rotten to the gore.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2012, 04:36:13 pm »

Well when i got new games i just ground them, sometimes even 10 hours a day and played them till end, was sad the end was after 3-4 days, so now i play game for few hours, go do something else and go back to playing them next day.
Goats will ignore your grass and eat the neighbours' roses. They're just evil bastards like that.
Probably thats why they are used with pentagrams on covers of Satanic Black Metal albums.
BURNING SHIT AND EATING ROOSESSSSSS DDOFOFAOAARRRAHYYYE

Korbac

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm very annoying, so tell me to STFU if need be
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2012, 05:51:05 pm »

My friend suffers from this. Follow DarkWolf's advice, as I do. Don't get overly enthralled with one game; temper your expectations. :)

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2012, 05:56:36 pm »

I have found a different solution to this kind of problem. Make hard mode your default. This issue is arising because you, as a long-time gamer, have become efficient and competent at playing video games. That is not a good thing. You want to be inefficient and incompetent in video games, the challenge what makes them fun. This is why everyone looks back on their childhood gaming experiences as better than their modern ones.

It's like eating buffalo wings. After you've eaten medium wings for so long the spiciness's edge is dulled and thus the point of spicy food is mitigated, so you stop liking it as much. The solution is to use a hotter sauce.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

freeformschooler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2012, 06:18:04 pm »

I have found a different solution to this kind of problem. Make hard mode your default. This issue is arising because you, as a long-time gamer, have become efficient and competent at playing video games. That is not a good thing. You want to be inefficient and incompetent in video games, the challenge what makes them fun. This is why everyone looks back on their childhood gaming experiences as better than their modern ones.

This is the correct answer. I suffer from this problem, too, when a game isn't challenging. I can confirm that my interest in video games was restored partially after I started playing them on harder difficulties.

That said, as you grow older there is also the growing feeling that you could be doing any number of other things with your time. This makes sitting down and completing a game (especially the boring/non-fun parts) much more difficult.

The Fool

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2012, 06:25:46 pm »

It's like eating buffalo wings. After you've eaten medium wings for so long the spiciness's edge is dulled and thus the point of spicy food is mitigated, so you stop liking it as much. The solution is to use a hotter sauce.

I agree with this so much. In some cases I've switched to challenge runs to keep playing a game once I finish it once rather than run to the next game. I'm doing a 3 heart run of Ocarina of Time, and an experience-free run of Tales of Graces F. Both of which are making me swear loudly at the screen, but once I make progress it feels satisfying.

Steam ID: The Fool [B12]
A Flexible Mind (Suggestion Game)

Hanslanda

• Bay Watcher
  • Baal's More Evil American Twin
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 16, 2012, 09:16:06 pm »

What is Hard Mode on DF then?
Well, we could put two and two together and write a book: "The Shit that Hans and Max Did: You Won't Believe This Shit."
He's fucking with us.

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 16, 2012, 09:24:20 pm »

Terrifying biomes. Extreme mode is terrifying biome surface forts. Suicide mode is terrifying glacier surface fort. Df supports hard modes all of the way up to the "impossible to live for more then a few minutes" level.
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

Hanslanda

• Bay Watcher
  • Baal's More Evil American Twin
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 16, 2012, 09:40:24 pm »

Terrifying biomes. Extreme mode is terrifying biome surface forts. Suicide mode is terrifying glacier surface fort. Df supports hard modes all of the way up to the "impossible to live for more then a few minutes" level.

Just as I posted that, I thought 'no item embarks!' but yours is better.
Well, we could put two and two together and write a book: "The Shit that Hans and Max Did: You Won't Believe This Shit."
He's fucking with us.

lordcooper

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a number!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 16, 2012, 09:42:28 pm »

It's be easier to answer if I knew why you actually play games.
Santorum leaves a bad taste in my mouth

LordBucket

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 16, 2012, 11:13:22 pm »

Any advice?

How about, "don't try to force yourself to do things you're not enjoying?"

If you're not enjoying them, do something else.

Iosyn

• Bay Watcher
  • KAKAKA
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 19, 2012, 12:49:35 pm »

you don't need to temper your expectations if you don't believe the hype following upcoming games :P

Seriously though, if you hype up a game in your head, you'll just be disappointed when you get it.
Frankly, most of the games I've played lately have been absolutely crap-- then there have been the rare gems.

but I can't help hyping PSO2 up in my head. oh god, cute robot waifu simulator-- monster slaying, ancient canned evils to destroy for good...
;_; I'ma be letted down again. aren't I.