Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Suddenly asked to be in Homecoming with a friend.  (Read 9021 times)

Nega

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Lizard Wizard
    • View Profile
Suddenly asked to be in Homecoming with a friend.
« on: August 17, 2012, 11:46:34 am »

I was suddenly given a text message saying that one of my friends want me to go to homecoming with them. All I know about homecoming is that you dance...and that's the problem. I am really socially awkward, and I'm worried I might ruin the night for her with my inability to dance, and I my mom keeps bugging me for an answer...I don't know what to do.

Bay 12, what should I do?  :-[

mcsafety

• Bay Watcher
  • ;p
    • View Profile
Re: Suddenly asked to be in Homecoming with a friend.
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2012, 11:59:35 am »

you can dance if you want to
you can leave your friends behind
name: magmammal
type:  Fire/kangaroo
evoles into Magkingbird (and gets wings and beak, with flying type and a crown )
pokedox: Magmammal was just a kangaroo until one day he ate coal, and it was so hot he got hot and he wanders the land burning his footsteps.

DJ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2012, 12:12:08 pm »

Take a long hard look at the dance floor, and you'll see that half the guys are worse than you.
Urist, President has immigrated to your fortress!
Urist, President mandates the Dwarven Bill of Rights.

Cue magma.
Ah, the Magma Carta...

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2012, 12:15:57 pm »

Go anyway. Who cares if you aren't good at dancing? You won't ruin her night, because she wants to go with you. Just move around as best you can, make her laugh, be a good companion. You're not expected to take lessons in dancing. Hell slow dancing is the easiest thing in the world, just hug and shuffle around a bit. It comes pretty naturally.

You can do it man. If you like the girl, go for it.

Exerosp

• Bay Watcher
  • Not Caught Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2012, 12:32:46 pm »

I know the feel. Just waddle, if you know that. That's how I dance at every homecoming.... Well, dance at all. It'll be awkward, but atleast you're being awkward with style.

Heron TSG

• Bay Watcher
  • The Seal Goddess
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2012, 02:22:13 pm »

Slow dancing is easy, you just step side to side in a circle. As for the rest, it's not like it's a waltz or anything. Just flail around like everyone else.

Est Sularus Oth Mithas
The Artist Formerly Known as Barbarossa TSG

Jopax

• Bay Watcher
  • Cat on a hat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2012, 01:34:15 am »

Well do you know what kind of music will be playing there?

Since most modern music dances boil down to jerky movements across the dance floor that are hardly different from epileptic seizures most of the time, so you should be fine if that's the case.

Also, a big secret on dancing is that you just gotta let go and pretend you're the only one in the room, works wonders (and works easily if you've had a few drinks).
"my batteries are low and it's getting dark"
AS - IG

MorleyDev

• Bay Watcher
  • "It is not enough for it to just work."
    • View Profile
    • MorleyDev
« Reply #7 on: August 18, 2012, 05:19:03 am »

Modern music exists because it's so easy to dance through. You basically flail in ways that vaguely match the music. The only people who look silly are the ones who are too worried about looking silly to actually look silly fun :)

Push comes to shove, you could always do the Margaret Thatcher. To be honest the way a lot of those people in that video are dancing is basically how I dance...
« Last Edit: August 18, 2012, 05:23:35 am by MorleyDev »

LordBucket

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 18, 2012, 06:16:22 am »

I am really socially awkward

inability to dance

what should I do?

Take dance lessons.

No, seriously. Take dance lessons. It's not that complicated. It's not that expensive. It's a useful skill, it will help you feel more confident, it will make picking up girls easier, and it's generally one of those life skill that everybody benefits from knowing. Like learning to send and receive email. Or cooking. Or doing your own laundry. If somebody didn't know how to do these things they would be seriously inconvenienced. Dancing is like that. And it's both damned convenient and occasionally awesome to be able to show up at social events, be asked to dance, and be the guy that says "ok" and dances with the girl. And then proceeds to dance with every girl in the room because once they realize you can and are willing, they all want to take turns with you. While 90% of the other guys stare enviously at you from the dark, lonely corners of the room. So learn to dance.

Arthur Murray schools are all over the world, and in every US state.

weenog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 18, 2012, 03:08:52 pm »

Modern music exists because it's so easy to dance through. You basically flail in ways that vaguely match the music. The only people who look silly are the ones who are too worried about looking silly to actually look silly fun :)

Push comes to shove, you could always do the Margaret Thatcher. To be honest the way a lot of those people in that video are dancing is basically how I dance...

It probably dates me, but The Humpty Dance is another easy one for the untrained.  :D Detailed instructions begin at 3:03.

Look, if you're not trying to woo the fickle in crowd by demonstrating your knowledge and mastery of whatever is fashionable this week, all dancing really is is advertising fitness and suitability as a mate.  To that end, do anything that demonstrates flexibility, coordination, balance, stamina and if possible, rhythm.  You don't want to get out there and start waving your junk around, just show off for their subconscious to pick up on that you're healthy and might be a fun ride.
Listen up: making a thing a ‼thing‼ doesn't make it more awesome or extreme.  It simply indicates the thing is on fire.  Get it right or look like a silly poser.

It's useful to keep a ‼torch‼ handy.

Korbac

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm very annoying, so tell me to STFU if need be
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 18, 2012, 03:42:15 pm »

I never thought I was any good. Turns out I'm BALLER

Well maybe not, but you know, give it a try. Nobody's judging you unless you're consistently falling over. (I've been there, but only after five or six drinks.) :P

Heron TSG

• Bay Watcher
  • The Seal Goddess
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 18, 2012, 04:08:45 pm »

Huh. I seem to do something like the Margaret Thatcher. I just sorta flail to the beat.

Est Sularus Oth Mithas

weenog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 18, 2012, 04:12:50 pm »

Huh. I seem to do something like the Margaret Thatcher. I just sorta flail to the beat.

Needs your friend edited out and about a hundred thousand bees edited in.  Not judging though, I've done some pretty ridiculous stuff filming and being filmed for a TV Production class also.  Even done the stupid movie thing of blowing all my time and budget on an action scene and having to phone in the rest of the film because I didn't have enough left over to do it right.
« Last Edit: August 18, 2012, 04:14:58 pm by weenog »
Listen up: making a thing a ‼thing‼ doesn't make it more awesome or extreme.  It simply indicates the thing is on fire.  Get it right or look like a silly poser.

It's useful to keep a ‼torch‼ handy.

Heron TSG

• Bay Watcher
  • The Seal Goddess
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 18, 2012, 04:22:30 pm »

The highest budget for any film we've done thus far has been $15 - for snacks. That there was for a musical rendition of The Pearl by John Steinbeck.

Est Sularus Oth Mithas

MorleyDev

• Bay Watcher
  • "It is not enough for it to just work."
    • View Profile
    • MorleyDev
« Reply #14 on: August 18, 2012, 04:27:06 pm »

I tend to do this kind of thing admittedly not usually dressed like that.

Then again I also don't care about "getting laid" or whatever when I go out clubbing. I'm there to dance with friends. Dancing is fun and my friends are fun, so dancing with friends is clearly double fun.

Seems like a good attitude to take to me but I'm pretty "demisexual" so probably not a good indication of the average 20-25 year old xD ('cause I'm "heteromantic but not sexually attracted to women I don't already know and have an emotional connection with" is apparently so uncommon as to require it's own goddamn word -__- YES I AM BITTER! xD)
« Last Edit: August 19, 2012, 11:20:57 am by MorleyDev »
Pages: [1] 2